PDA

View Full Version : S61 compared to B206?

kissmysquirrel
29th Jul 2006, 09:57
Just a quick couple of questions to any S61 drivers out there who may have also flown B206 or similar.
Does the S61 respond quickly to control inputs? What are the main things to be aware of when doing differences training onto something the size of an S61 when compared to something with only 4-5 seats/one engine/no autopilot etc.

Many thanks.
KMS

Gordon Bennet
29th Jul 2006, 10:14
I'm told you shouldn't confuse a normal approach with Vortex Ring... :)

G

212man
29th Jul 2006, 11:39
"Does the S61 respond quickly to control inputs? "

Nothing happens quickly in a 61!;)

212man
29th Jul 2006, 13:20
Where did Nick's post go?:confused:

SASless
29th Jul 2006, 15:36
Kiss,

Systems knowledge is important....the handling is not as big a leap as some try to make it out to be. It takes a mind shift when going from singles to multi's but the physical manipulation of the controls is still the same in general. Figuring out how small a big helicopter is presents the problem.

On the Chinook...the aft landing gear is about 40 feet behind your butt....and the cargo hook is about 18 feet behind you but in time you can land on a rice paddy dike and put the hook into the hook-up guy's hand without any conscious thought (with a few hundred hours practice anyway).

fuel2noise
29th Jul 2006, 17:46
agree all above.

....just fly the cockpit and the rest of it seems to follow along behind....

Canadian Rotorhead
29th Jul 2006, 20:24
Shut off the AFCS and the old 61 handles like a 206, sort of. As stated above, there are a lot more things to deal with in a heavy than just hands and feet.

A few years ago I did a ferry flight in the 61 with a fellow. He had no time in the machine before we did our first leg and he flew it like a veteran driver. Granted he is a high time pilot but it was all on aircraft smaller than the 412. He had no problems adjusting to it. It just needs to be handled like a big truck, it is certainly not a sportscar. Although I've been through a 75 minute logging cycle in it to argue that point too.

I in the other had would give up what I do to go fly something sporty again like the Astar or the 500, now they are a far different animal than the "Pretty Sea King"

Here is a size comparison. The 61 tail rotor pushes about the same amount of horsepower as the 206 main rotor.

Here's a picture from a friend working down south in the GoM.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/DJ61/100_1005.jpg

DryAir
30th Jul 2006, 03:35
Did fly both.. and agree to all the above.. although double India had Sfena (that the correct spelling?!? ..i forget).. so not much to worry in the change over.. just more systems to think about.. i.e two engines as opposed to one. all the best :ok:

Great pic CRD... anyone has a S61 lining another S61? we had a few of those looooong time ago here in Brunei .. but never came across any pics. thanks