PDA

View Full Version : My intended path to CPL/IR - advice needed

DavidCS
28th Jul 2006, 21:43
Hi guys,

After many years of working after leaving university i have finally saved enough money for flight training. I could easily attend FTE or Oxford and not worry about the financials. When i left university i had decided to embark upon the integrated route as soon as i had the money, now that i do i am not sure i want to spend all that money.

Infact i have decided to take the modular route and i was wondering if i can have your opinions on my choice (please i don't want to start another modular v integrated debate!) and i just want to go to a place where i can do all the training under one roof:-

1) Attend EFT in the states and enroll upon the Fast track to jet program. Cost £23k with food etc i anticipate a total spend of £30k.

2) Apply to Ryan Air and and pay for type rating through CAE or SAS. Total spend about £22k including food, living etc (i have read all the threads regarding ryan air).

£52k total much cheaper than FTE & Oxford :p

3) Stay with Ryan for 4/5 years and transfer to another airline.

So what do you guys think?

Kind Regards,

+David :ok:

BlueRobin
29th Jul 2006, 13:40
Are you set on working of O'Leary? :eek:

BlueRobin
29th Jul 2006, 23:09
When you are spat out of the system, you may find direct entry in an airline somewhat difficult. That is unless airlines are now taking low hour (c. 250??) pilots or (aha penny dropping now) you are lucky enough to get on the cadet scheme with O'Leary's airline. Have contingency plans (inc other employment and funds). You may not get on the scheme, you may not like working for them.

What stage are you at with your flying? EFT's 23K sounds a tad bit on the low side and must omit certain incurred costs.

Piltdown Man
30th Jul 2006, 09:31
Spend the money and avoid working for MOL (unless of course he is paying!). There are no such things as guaranteed jobs in aviation. Your estimates are, I think, hopelessly optimistic. However, you have to be an optimist to do this job!

geraldn
31st Jul 2006, 12:52
DavidCS,what licences do you hold at the moment? PPL.NPPL?,

What does the EFT programme consist of @ 23K?

might need to post this info to get a better opinion

unfazed
31st Jul 2006, 13:23
David

Why not apply to Ryanair scheme anyway and see if accepted

Then you can decide from there

potkettleblack
31st Jul 2006, 16:05
David firstly check out the terms and endearment forum and do a search on Ryanair and for that matter the recruiting policies of the airlines.

There is a misconception amongst wannabees that Ryanair will interview anyone that pays their £50 fee. The truth is that they don't. Most low hour guys are put forward for interview by contacts (captains) that they have in the airline. The sad truth is that most people who pay the £50 are never contacted by the relevant training organisation eg: CAE/SAS. If you have a contact then generally what happens is that Ryanair will interview you and conduct a sim check and if you are up to standard then pass you over to CAE/SAS who will conduct the type rating. On successful completion of the type rating then you return as a cadet for line training etc.