PDA

View Full Version : Medical ages??

DJED
28th Jul 2006, 20:45
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and i have a quick question i would like to ask.

Is there an age limit for the CAA class one medical?? if so what is it?? I am planning to book one shortly, but i don't know if there is an age limit and so far have not found any info on their website. Anyway, thanks for your time.

Jimmy The Big Greek
28th Jul 2006, 21:42
There is no age limit but if you are below 17 years old there is really no use of it.
If you just want to know if you meet the medical requirements its better to download JAR-fcl 3 requirements and go to a doctor and see if you are ok. Its much cheaper that way. If your doctor discovers any problem contact then CAA and ask them if you are ok for a first class.

Anyway, good luck and may the force be with you.

Charlie Zulu
29th Jul 2006, 01:48
There is use...

If one is 16 years of age then one can solo whilst doing their PPL and thus they will require a JAA Class 1 or JAA Class 2 medical certificate.

Now if they wish to go commercial then having a JAA Class 1 will help matters no end... so they might as well do the JAA Class 1.

Jimmy The Big Greek
30th Jul 2006, 12:01
yes, you are right Charlie Zuly. Did not think of that. Is it not cheaper to do a second class medical and ask the doctor if you are ok for first class?

2close
30th Jul 2006, 12:36
Another advantage of going straight to Class 1 is that you are less likely to have any significant medical problems at a younger age and thus will be more likely to meet the Class 1 Initial Standards. If you then decide to defer training until your 20's and do develop any minor problems, e.g. eyesight problems, you would only need to meet renewal criteria.

The disadvantage is the cost. A Class 1 (UK) is about £ 300 whereas a Class 2 will cost you about £ 100. These are ball park figures only.

HTH

2close

DJED
30th Jul 2006, 13:44
thanks for all of the information guys, really helpfull.