PDA

View Full Version : Royal Family and their medals...

Comp Charlie
28th Jul 2006, 16:47
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=391160&in_page_id=1770

Can anyone shed any light on what medals the Royal Family wear, and whether they were 'freebies' or earnt?

Obviously, Prince Andrew qualified genuinely for his Op Corporate medal, but how many of the others are 'real' medals, and how many are pinned on their just to look good for ceremonies etc?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.

CC

SPIT
28th Jul 2006, 17:04
I think the Duke of Edinburgh earned his the hard way in WW2 thats all I can think of ???:confused: :ok:

A2QFI
28th Jul 2006, 17:15
Some of them may be honorary foreign 'orders', other may be various levels of membership of the Victorian Order which I believe can be given out to the family and is properly awarded to various members of the Royal Household. Housemaids get MVO 5th Class, head of Royal Household gets MVO First class etc.

Comp Charlie
28th Jul 2006, 17:23
Wonder if any lads/girls who didn't qualify for the QGJ medal as they had served less than 5 years reckonable feel aggrieved that Wills and Harry got it before they even passed out of Basic!

While on the subject of medals, a Sgt in my trade has 10. Anyone know of more than this at this particular (RAF) rank?

CC

cobaltfrog
28th Jul 2006, 18:00
A2QFI

Sorry old boy but you are wrong. Housemaids get the RVM (Royal Victoria Medal). The Order is for service to the Monarch or household and it is given freely at her discretion. Traditionally Service Equerries receive the MVO if they have done a good job for POW, DOE and HM the Queen. Next is the LVO then the CVO and what Prince Edward and Andrew have, the KCVO. Princess Royal has a GCVO (The highest grade). Other medals include the Queen's Service Order from New Zealand (Princess Royal and POW). There are the usual 1977 Jubilee and the 2002 Jubilee, Knight Thistle, Knight Garter and some smatterings of the Order of the Bath (Mil).

Hope this helps!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
28th Jul 2006, 18:09
I think the Duke of Edinburgh earned his the hard way in WW2 thats all I can think of I wonder if he has the Duke of Edinburgh award as well :confused:

A2QFI
28th Jul 2006, 18:12
Cobaltfrog. Thanks for that clarification. I am none the wiser but I am much better informed.:ok:

Comp Charlie
28th Jul 2006, 18:19
So is Prince Andrew the only one to have a 'real' medal? I suspect so...

Still all that other tin does look impressive I suppose... :confused:

CC

JL3677
28th Jul 2006, 18:46
really funny pic. Makes them look human after all :)

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1706/royals180606600x600rz8.jpg (http://www.pprune.org/forums/%5BURL=http://imageshack.us%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1706/royals180606600x600rz8.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D)

cazatou
28th Jul 2006, 19:06
Comp Charlie,

Read post #2.

Prince Philip of Greece served in WW 2 as an RN Officer and received a Mention in Dispatches.

Her Majesty's Father, King George VI, was a Gunnery Officer at the Battle of Jutland.

Prince Andrew went to the Falklands because it was his duty to go. I have met him and I have flown him; it never occurred to him that he should not go - it was his duty.

Comp Charlie
28th Jul 2006, 19:32
Er...I think you've missed my point entirely here...

I am interested to know what each particular medal the DofE, POW, PR and Prince Andrew wear is, and why they were awarded.

Not once have I questioned WHY Prince Andrew has a Corporate medal, in fact, I actually know quite a bit about that particular Op, and HRH's role in it, hence why I used the word 'geniuinely' in my first post...

My initial post was asking for a definitive listing of their medals (by name), and followed it on with a question as to whether members of the Armed Forces who did not qualify for the QGJ medal feel aggrieved that the POW's sons have got them, before they had even passed out...

Nobody, least of all me, is questioning the Royal Familys military careers, and moral fibre. Except Edwards. :p

CC

ZH875
28th Jul 2006, 19:56
Doesn't Edward have a Baton Twirling medal?.

jindabyne
28th Jul 2006, 20:12
Comp

Don't worry - he always does

doubledolphins
28th Jul 2006, 20:15
The gold one with the red white and blue ribbon is the Queen's Golden Jubilee medal. (Oh all right I know its obvious but its the only one I've got the same as them.)

Dr Schlong
28th Jul 2006, 21:53
Wonder if any lads/girls who didn't qualify for the QGJ medal as they had served less than 5 years reckonable feel aggrieved that Wills and Harry got it before they even passed out of Basic!
I was in the Golden Jubilee parade up the Mall and gave the salute for the RAF contingent; I think my oppo and I were the only military there without the medal! :( ;)
Nevermind - looks like a chocolate coin anyway! :E

NutherA2
28th Jul 2006, 22:28
The gold one with the red white and blue ribbon is the Queen's Golden Jubilee medal. (Oh all right I know its obvious but its the only one I've got the same as them.)

Isn't that the medal "awarded" to HRH Harry while he was still in the Combined Cadet Force?

fuel2noise
29th Jul 2006, 09:06
I think it is long practice for all members of the royal family to receive jubilee medals irrespective of a) their age, b) whether they are in the armed forces or not. That is simply a perk of being in the royal familly!!! I think you will find that HRH POW and HRH PR have earlier jubilee medals - they were children at the time.

As an aside the Queen's silver jubilee medal was rather more sparingly handed out (eg the CO's of service units plus 1 or 2 extras that were then awarded locally to deserving members of the unit at CO's discretion - imagine how that went down!!) To avoid some of these problems the recent Golden Jubilee medal went to virtually everyone who had done a 'chunk' of service; that is why the 5 year service thing was adopted.....a pity if you had 4 years and 364 days!

rab-k
29th Jul 2006, 09:33
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/rab-knight/royals3.jpg

Just off to the 'Tower', I'll get me coat...:}

SARowl
29th Jul 2006, 14:07
When Andrew joined the RN, he joined as a good old 'SL' (short career commision). The story goes that he transferred to 'GL' (full career commision) but only found out when someone congratulated him on being promoted to Lt Cdr.
"I didn't know I'd applied!" was his comment

enginesuck
29th Jul 2006, 14:16
Missed out on the jubilee medal by two weeks ho hum, also missed out on Nato medal by five days and veritas by two weeks. Just qualified for my first medal after nine years service, one which i believe virtually everyone will have anyway - the iraq medal !!!!

Comp Charlie
29th Jul 2006, 15:00
Whilst on a tour of an unnamed volcanic island in the South Atlantic a couple of years ago we had a Remembrance Day parade at the church in 'town'.

All military personnel attended in best KD avec medals. After the service we were invited back to the CO's house for tea and cakes.

During the short walk to the house, the Admin WO ordered all junior ranks to remove their medals and stow them in their pockets.

Thinking this was a little bizarre the order was queried only to be told it was embarrassing for the CO as he only had 3 and some of the boys were sporting at least 5 or 6. One of the Supply JNCO's had 8.

Seemed to be a little bit silly to me...:rolleyes:

CC

Jimlad1
29th Jul 2006, 16:49
Dont forget that the Royals got their GJM because HRH decided to give them one. If you're hacked off at not getting one, blame the head shed who decided on the criteria for award rather than Buckingham palace. I believe each organisation eligible to award it defined their own eligibility criteria.

Comp Charlie
29th Jul 2006, 17:06
I got it, but to be honest its not a real medal is it? An attendance medal in reality.

Although the amount of Senior Officers who only have this one to their name does look a little sad don't you think?

Makes you wonder about how much 'hardship' or 'action' they have seen in their long and glorious careers...

Incidentally, am I right in thinking Officers don't get the LS&GC medal? And if not, why not? (Cue replies stating that Officers can't behave themselves)

CC

Brewster Buffalo
29th Jul 2006, 19:51
"The Prince of Wales wore the following medals during the Fleet Review in 2005:

The Queen's Service Order(New Zealand), awarded 1983
The Coronation medal, awarded in 1953
The Silver Jubilee medal, awarded in 1977
The Golden Jubilee medal, awarded in 2002
The Canadian forces decoration, awarded in 2002
The New Zealand commemorative medal, awarded in 1990
The Order of Merit, which was awarded in 2002,
The Garter Star, which was awarded in 1968"

well these are the 8 medals he wears when he is a sailor :)

engineer(retard)
29th Jul 2006, 19:55
CC

Officers can get the no crime medal but only if they came from the ranks, and they complete the time before they complete professional training. I think that the only difference is that you have to apply for it.

regards

retard

NutLoose
29th Jul 2006, 21:16
I seem to remember a rumpus over Philip The Geek wearing RAF wings he was not entitled to and having to remove them?

str12
30th Jul 2006, 00:34
In 1995 I was very fortunate to be sent on a foreign visit aboard one of Her Majesty's Ships prior to attending my AIB (fantastic experience for a young lad with an eye on the FAA).

During a VIP Reception for the local dignitaries I was with a group of the ship's officers who were chatting to a USMC Captain and he admitted to earning a Combat Medal for flying over NI on the way to Germany. At that time NI was classed as a combat zone by the US Military so technically he did earn it...;)

The banter that followed was good, it was very good. Especially since the ship and her company has just returned from GW1 and had been in the thick of it. Captain USMC saw the funny side of it too...

Comp Charlie
30th Jul 2006, 07:20
"The Prince of Wales wore the following medals during the Fleet Review in 2005:

The Queen's Service Order(New Zealand), awarded 1983
The Coronation medal, awarded in 1953
The Silver Jubilee medal, awarded in 1977
The Golden Jubilee medal, awarded in 2002
The Canadian forces decoration, awarded in 2002
The New Zealand commemorative medal, awarded in 1990
The Order of Merit, which was awarded in 2002,
The Garter Star, which was awarded in 1968"

well these are the 8 medals he wears when he is a sailor :)

Thankyou Mr Buffalo - that was exactly the kind of info I was interested in. :ok:

Which leads me to ask my next question, if the Royals can wear medals awarded to them by foreign nations then why can't the guys who got awarded the Liberation of Kuwait medals after GW1 wear them? If they really wanted to that is!!

Interesting point about the dubious methods of qualification for certain medals. The award of a GW1 medal for being in Cyprus has always been a joke, do people feel embarrassed wearing it knowing this?

'Unattributable' Ops I've personally been involved in include Op Determinant in '97 (the evacuation of foreign nationals from the former Zaire - now Peoples Democratic Republic of Congo). No medal awarded for that although not sure whether the time spent out there can be put forward (retrospectively) for the OSM. Any idea?

CC

BDiONU
30th Jul 2006, 07:46
Thankyou Mr Buffalo - that was exactly the kind of info I was interested in. :ok:
Always remember that Google is your friend! Try it out, I found this quickly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinbur gh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Titles_and_Honours_of_Elizabeth_II_of_the_United_Kin gdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Titles_and_Honours_of_Charles%2C_Prince_of_Wales

Although the entries don't seem to list 'real' honours, as per Phil's "The Duke of Edinburgh was mentioned in dispatches for his service in the Second World War. His Royal Highness joined HMS VALIANT in the Mediterranean Fleet and was involved in engagements including, on 21st March 1941, the battle of Matapan (in Greek waters) against the Italian fleet. For his work in control of the searchlights Prince Philip was mentioned in despatches. He was later awarded the Greek War Cross of Valour."

BD

Comp Charlie
30th Jul 2006, 08:05
Google Schmoogle! :p

That's the easy way out!

(In all seriousness, thankyou)

CC

Twonston Pickle
31st Jul 2006, 17:53
CC,

I think you might find that Canada and NZ are not foreign countries when talking of medals! As Head of the Commonwealth, the Queen is entitled to issue medals to those countries too, as well as to her own family. Consequently, the GW1 medal is not pertinant to the award of NZ medals etc. As far as wearing the GW1 medal whilst in cyprus might be embarrassing, the Op Telic medal should also be embarrassing to those serving unarmed/virtually unthreatened in the 'Deid!

Comp Charlie
31st Jul 2006, 18:11
People get the Telic medal for serving in Al Udeid? :ugh:

Surely not? That's a joke, right?

CC

snapper41
31st Jul 2006, 18:43
I don't think you do get an Iraq Medal for Al Udeid; there was a letter on the subject recently in the RAF News, and the answer was that there has to be an element of 'risk and rigour' to get a medal, which doesn't apply to the 'Deid. Think I'll just go and polish my 'Air Ops Iraq' GSM - my liver went through risk and rigour at Incirlik!

Comp Charlie
31st Jul 2006, 18:46
Thank God for that. It would ALMOST be as much as a p1sstake as getting a GW1 medal for being in that hotbed of Scud activity, Cyprus.

Total Scuds launched = Zero.

CC

teeteringhead
1st Aug 2006, 08:20
Some random answers to various points - I've been away over the weekend so some are answers to old-ish questions.

D of E's Medals By chance as we speak a documents has arrived on my desk which has a coloured photo of D of E in RAF uniform. His ribbons (the Brit and Commonwealth ones which I recognise) are as follows: Garter, Thistle, British Empire, NZ Queen's Service Order (the zig-zag one). Then we go onto war medals, which are (IIRC) 39-45 Star, North Arlantic Star, Africa Star, Burma Star (with rosette), Italy Star then War Medal (with MiD oakleaf). Thereafter looks like Coronation and 2 x Jubilee medals. Bottom row probably foreign as after Jubilee medals. Last one I think is Croix de Guerre with a palm. (His post-noms from the Air Force List are KG KT OM GBE AC(?) QSO)

D of E's Wings Perfectly entitled as he completed a "recognised course of flying training" as have his two elder sons. Only 2 people in the history of the RAF (OK RN, not long I know) have been allowed to wear "unqualified" wings - these were King George V and Winston Churchill - both approved by special meetings of the Air Force Board.

Jamboree Medals for the Royal Household El Presidente (or possibly Gordipops) declined to pay for these from public funds unlike all the rest - so HM (God Bless 'Er) paid for them all herself. Don't know if that applies to the Royal grandkids.

Skeleton
1st Aug 2006, 10:54
Re GW1 medal.

Didnt some folk in the UK get it, that never went near Cyprus, never mind the sand pit?

Memory fades but i seem to remember a rumpus at the time re folk down the "bunker" being awarded it.

teeteringhead
1st Aug 2006, 12:02
Nobody in the bunker got the GW1 medal, although there were rumours at the time that they might. Most "Campaign Medals" (for that is what they all are) are limited by time and space. When they are, inevitably some poor souls will be one day or one mile short of the limit! (My GW 1 service was split between the bunker and Egypt [don't ask] and I didn't get near a medal!)

Flying allus complicates matters, particlularly when the Army and the Navy have a say (as they usually do). There was a proposal (guess from which service!) when the parameters for the South Atlantic medal were being discussed that land based (non-FI based) aircraft crews would not qualify - unless they also received a gallantry award, in which case they'd get the campaign medal too.

Fortunately that was binned. Just imagine .... G**gie gets his DFC for flying the Black Buck Vulcan, and so would get the campaign medal as well. Rest of the crew, tanker support etc etc - nothing!!

...and anyway ... as the SH force says: Round ones don't count!!

timex
1st Aug 2006, 12:20
Round ones don't count!!

Really? ..............Guess they need to get on the ground then.

brakedwell
1st Aug 2006, 14:28
They are wearing mummy's toy town medals and by the way, when does Anne qualify for her First Sea Lord fancy dress outfit? :E :E :E