PDA

View Full Version : Bond Offshore Helicopters

Ullevi
27th Jul 2006, 18:31
Interesting article from the local paper in Aberdeen:

BOND'S FRUITFUL RETURN TO NORTH SEA FUELS EXPANSION PLANS

08:50 - 27 July 2006

Bond Offshore Helicopters said yesterday the high level of activity in the oil and gas industry was encouraging plans for further development of the Aberdeen-based company.

It said that, with long-term contracts in hand valued at around £350million and 155 staff, it was seeking to expand operations - both in the UK and overseas.

Managing director Geoff Williams said: "The combination of our success since re-entering the offshore market in the North Sea two years ago, the strong oil price and continuing demand for our services means we are investigating new opportunities. This includes evaluating additional medium and heavy aircraft as possible additions to our fleet."

Bond operates seven SuperPuma AS332L Mark II helicopters - two of them dedicated to search-and-rescue operations, with the others operating crew change services.

The company's annual report for the year to March 31, 2005, just released by Companies House, shows that it made pre-tax profits of £1.12million on a turnover of £18.25million.

Any chance of CPL sponsorship then? :E

kissmysquirrel
27th Jul 2006, 18:32
Probably not as I hear they won't be recruiting until 4th Quarter 2007. How this ties in with what's said above, i'm not sure.

:confused:

332mistress
27th Jul 2006, 20:22
Rumour has it that the bp contract is cost plus 10% so they have had to absorb some costs themselves otherwise profit would be £1.65m.

Talking about expansion is fine but the reality of the North Sea at the moment is the dire shortage of experienced Captains and co-pilots suitable for command. This is stopping expansion and is not easily fixed.

332M

Ullevi
29th Jul 2006, 19:28
Worth a try!

KeallaS
1st Aug 2006, 22:54
I was not sure where to post this so...
I have searched forums high and low for real information on working in the North Sea and I have not found the answers I am really looking for.

I guess my question is what route would any of you take or have taken to work as a pilot in the North Sea. I am just starting out (PPL). How do you go about getting into position to even apply to fly in the North Sea. Is the work there really so volatile that you cannot plan ahead? Will I be forced to work in the GOM for the first 5 years? What steps should be taken right of the bat to work with a great outfit like Bond?

Thanks for any help...

Jayrow Pilot
2nd Aug 2006, 06:15
Bond has just ordered 2x EC225s for early 2008 delivery and will increase staff by 30 to operate them. They are also moving to new larger offices, Bond seems to be doing well.

helico2003
2nd Aug 2006, 14:47
Bond's looking for experienced Captains? There's quite a few flying for Bristow in Nigeria qualified on EC155 with Jar licenses maybe interested in a job in N.Sea. Transition from EC155 to EC225 is very straight forward according to Eurocopter. :rolleyes:
Anyone has contact for Bond?

Rotorchic
27th Aug 2006, 10:18
Have Bond moved into their new offices??

Does anyone have their new address?

cyclic
27th Aug 2006, 11:16
First the Senior pilot moves on and now the Cheif Crewmen............

All's well on Jigsaw at Bond?

and now you want a job...hmmm

bud007
27th Aug 2006, 17:25
and now you want a job...hmmm

So why not get a job with bond offshore.With pre-tax profits of 1.12million on a turnover of 18.25million. With 7mark 2 superpumas and 225's on there way:ok:
Dont know why the cheif pilot left but was told that the cheif crewman has not left but has had a promation.
If i was to fly north sea(i take my hat off to you boy's and girl's) i would give bond a call 1st. Best to be a name in a small company than just a number in a big company.

cyclic
27th Aug 2006, 17:27
I was being ironic :ok:

bud007
27th Aug 2006, 17:55
I was being ironic :ok:
I forgive you:O. A mate of mine fly's for bond and he is looking forword to going onto jigsaw 2weeks on 2weeks off with 2weeks holidays cant be that bad can it. wish i just worked half the year. but that means that i would have to live in Aberdeen:*

chc&proud
27th Aug 2006, 18:07
All operators in the North Sea would by a professional observer be considered small or tiny, employing anywhere from 15 - 150 or so pilots. None of the companies in my opinion fall into the size category where you end up being "just a number". Perhaps in British Airways, Scandinavian Airlines, Lufthansa, each employing 2.000 to 5.000 pilots this would be the case?

The main difference between the companies is that Bond is the only operator without a Collective Labor Agreement established between a pilot union and the company.

It is unfortunate that our good colleagues at Bond have not yet seen their way to join the good company of colleagues who are members of the International Federation of Airline Pilots Association. Hopefully this will happen within the foreseeable future, in light of the majority of pilots being members of BALPA?

Any new pilot to the oil business should be careful to plan his career with a non union company. When the business is booming, if your boss thinks you are the right person for the job, then all might be well.

Back when Bond was operating in the North Sea prior to being taken over by Helikopter Service, it was disgusting to observe the hostile attitude of management towards pilots who wanted to join BALPA.

When the tide turns again, when there a pilot surplus materializes, when you have run into problems at work, then free access to legal assistance, support from your pilot local council can prove to be more than beneficial.

In the North Sea, it is hard to see how Bond would be the employer of choice for any well informed professional pilot.

bud007
28th Aug 2006, 11:22
All operators in the North Sea would by a professional observer be considered small or tiny, employing anywhere from 15 - 150 or so pilots. None of the companies in my opinion fall into the size category where you end up being "just a number". Perhaps in British Airways, Scandinavian Airlines, Lufthansa, each employing 2.000 to 5.000 pilots this would be the case?

The main difference between the companies is that Bond is the only operator without a Collective Labor Agreement established between a pilot union and the company.

It is unfortunate that our good colleagues at Bond have not yet seen their way to join the good company of colleagues who are members of the International Federation of Airline Pilots Association. Hopefully this will happen within the foreseeable future, in light of the majority of pilots being members of BALPA?

Any new pilot to the oil business should be careful to plan his career with a non union company. When the business is booming, if your boss thinks you are the right person for the job, then all might be well.

Back when Bond was operating in the North Sea prior to being taken over by Helikopter Service, it was disgusting to observe the hostile attitude of management towards pilots who wanted to join BALPA.

When the tide turns again, when there a pilot surplus materializes, when you have run into problems at work, then free access to legal assistance, support from your pilot local council can prove to be more than beneficial.

In the North Sea, it is hard to see how Bond would be the employer of choice for any well informed professional pilot.

I take it you work for chc. So is it not true that most of bond's pilot's are ex chc and most of the management are ex chc aswell so why did they jump ship and join bond. I mean i dont work north sea but i would think about it. But who should i work for bristow chc bond. Would love to do sar so that's bristow's out.

REDHOTCH0PPERPILOT
28th Aug 2006, 12:45
bud007, there was an article in the times a couple of weeks ago concerning some quality of life index in UK. Aberdeen came out top while London came bottom. Maybe its not that bad up there.

bud007
28th Aug 2006, 15:14
I bet Aberdeen is a nice place to live. if i was working day in day out of Aberdeen i dont mind living there but if i was working 2weeks on 2weeks off why should i have to live there?

mrwellington
28th Aug 2006, 15:42
I take it you work for chc. So is it not true that most of bond's pilot's are ex chc and most of the management are ex chc aswell so why did they jump ship and join bond. I mean i dont work north sea but i would think about it.

Yes it's true, but prior to CHC they where employed in Bond helicopters, which merged with British Int. into CHC Scotia !!
So jumpin or reentering the ship ...same people. And the pilots who left CHC without prior Bond experience had a shot at a quicker command !
Anyway, still the worst deal workdays & moneywise on the North Sea from what I hear comparing to CHC/Bristows.

bud007
28th Aug 2006, 16:11
Yes it's true, but prior to CHC they where employed in Bond helicopters, which merged with British Int. into CHC Scotia !!
So jumpin or reentering the ship ...same people. And the pilots who left CHC without prior Bond experience had a shot at a quicker command !
Anyway, still the worst deal workdays & moneywise on the North Sea from what I hear comparing to CHC/Bristows.

Oh i see its just the old bond guys going back to bond. So when chc tried to poach bond pilots how many did they get. Its just if i am going to send my cv to companie's i need to know it's the right company i hope you understand i know chc and bond pilots and seems like bond would be my 1st call

mrwellington
28th Aug 2006, 16:17
Enjoy your choice.

Wizzard
28th Aug 2006, 17:32
bud,
Yup, most of the guys who left CHC did so on the promise of an early command, some on the promise of early TRE and some to management. To the best of my knowledge the promises were kept. They seem a happy enough bunch, they've had some improvement in their pay and conditions to keep up with CHC/Bristows but they still have some way to go.
The job's much the same no matter who you work for, at least ALL the companies are getting new kit now.

A tip though, when you send in your CV try using punctuation and keep away from text-speak: it's a bit of a give-away:O

trekker5
2nd Aug 2007, 22:26
There are a couple of must haves to go and work on the North Sea. The first is the JAA ATPL(H) theory. WAAC offer this course minus the Helicopter interim module. At this stage that module can only be completed in the UK. It is cheaper to complete the other modules here and WAAC have a very high pass rate in the JAA exams and offer a great course with excellent instructors. Once you have completed the you have the requisite theoretical component of the JAA licence. Most of the big companies will take on cadets and have been doing so of late. The other must have is a right to enter and work in the UK. Whether you have Ancestory rights or are sponsored by an employer, this a requirement to work in the UK. You can get that information from the British High Commision website. The initial JAA medical can only be done at Gatwick. I am in the process of applying now having completed most of the requirements. Will keep you posted.

Ullevi
8th Jan 2008, 20:03
I've been reading about their plans for expansion (two EC 225s ordered with an option for three more) and was wondering whether anyone thinks ab-initio sponsorship will become a regular activity for them?

With a fleet of seven AS332L2’s at the moment- is training 12 cadets a big commitment from them? Or will they have to keep trying to ensure a steady supply of co-pilots in the future?

Thanks for any insight.

206Fan
8th Jan 2008, 21:07
First 225 is due to be delivered July of this year i believe!

Rotorchic
9th Jan 2008, 03:08
I believe a new contract/customer will soon be announced.

Helipilot1982
9th Jan 2008, 08:55
I recently applied to them and was told that they had completed their recruitment for 2008 - with this new contract expected then - is it worth re applying?

OffshoreHeli
9th Jan 2008, 18:51
Bond is a good friendly company to work for. When I worked for them previously and pilots were being laid off in 1990 by the other 2 companies, Bond saw fit to ride the storm and keep all their pilots. Nough said!

RByrne
16th Oct 2008, 15:18
Does anyone know if they are planning to run their cadet sponsorship programme regularly or if it was just a one off?

Whirlygig
16th Oct 2008, 16:09
It was a one-off.

Cheers

Whirls

RByrne
16th Oct 2008, 19:04
Do you think there is any chance Bristow or CHC will follow suit?

206Fan
16th Oct 2008, 19:13
It was a one off.. A mate of mine tried that cadetship thing bond had running but he didn't get in! Regarding CHC and Bristow, i heard they are full up for now along with bond!

ragman20
16th Oct 2008, 20:35
Davy 07 both CHC and Bristow are recruiting still, they now have the pick of experienced pilots returning back to the north sea so it will make it hard for other new qualified CPL holders

206Fan
16th Oct 2008, 20:56
Ahh right, cheers for that ragman..

Always wanted to go to the north sea myself when i got my CPL eventually done in a few years.. The way things are going il be staying at a PPL!

Exposure Time
10th Jun 2009, 10:51
Hi,

Does anyone know what's involved in the recruitment process for Bond Offshore, aptitude testing, Sim etc…

Cheers

bleuciel
10th Jun 2009, 15:19
This means that Bond recruits?

helimotion
10th Jun 2009, 18:44
Hi does anybody know what selection prosess is like at oxford for bond offshore and what the wages are like for co-pilots at aberdeen .

Thanks .