PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Training

Flyting
27th Jul 2006, 17:17
What would you expect to be covered by an instructor when converting onto a new machine...?

kissmysquirrel
27th Jul 2006, 18:38
Usually you would be taught how the machine operates compared to other types you've maybe flown. You would need to learn the systems, and cover all type specific emergency procedures. ie, you may have never flown a machine with hydraulics before and you'd need to experience failure of them.

In the UK, you would do a theory section with written exam for type. The training takes a minimum of 5 hours if converting to another SE type or minimum 8hours for first ME type.
There will be a skills test at the end of the training.
You'd possibly be taught the walkaround and what to look for.

You'll find most FTO's or TRTO's will have a conversion manual to go through which covers all elements required before test.

Torquetalk
27th Jul 2006, 20:44
SE piston to SE piston is a minimum of three hours expereince on type prior to the skills test, as part of an approved type rating course. Check LASORS for a tabulation of other conversion minimums. Rumour has it that these requirements may well change in the near future: lower for most aircraft; higher for the R22 & R44

TT

Teefor Gage
27th Jul 2006, 20:56
Maybe I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but just because the conversion course says 3, 5 or 8 hours etc doesn't mean to say that anybody will complete the conversion to the required standard in that time.

Whirlygig
27th Jul 2006, 22:58
Er, in the UK, it's 5 hours for single engine and 8 for (the first) multi-engine type rating as KMS says.

It's mostly irrelevant to be quoting hours required as these must surely vary from country/regime! I'm pretty sure it's the same in South Africa though!

Cheers

Whirls