PDA

View Full Version : Visual Fields: Have I lost my case with the CAA completely?

Scoobster
27th Jul 2006, 14:57
Hi
I know the subject vision has been battered to death, but after months of lurking in the background and monitoring the forums, some of you may remember that I posted the following thread a while back:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191990
I have been in a constant battle with the CAA since 2002 to have a Class 1 Medical issued and after having read a post with the comment 'fight until your last breath', well have I reached my last breath :confused:
Well, having attended a futher assessment with the Opthalmologist last month, the situation is exactly the same.The opthalmologist mentioned that 'unfortunately, I am unable to put a positive report in as clearly your monocular visual field in the right eye is outside normal limits'.
I received the good old rejection letter from LGW commenting that the VFD still remains and therefore you still remain unfit for initial JAA Class 1 certification.
Since then I have managed to obtain another renewal of an FAA Class 1 Medical (yes, yes I know I know) its... not worth its salt as many of you think.
Which, also appeared to be riddiculed along the lines of 'if your thinking of converting, then don't even think about it' under the current regulations you are still unfit!
So, I now turn to my fellow ppruners to see if there is anything else that I can do regarding a JAA Initial Class 1. I have thought about going to another member state and seeing if I can get a JAA Class 1 there? But this brings with it a whole new set of challenges like, if I pass and my file gets sent back to the U.K JAA will it get revoked?
In my quest, I have been seen by 3 AME's, 1 Neurologist and the good chap who is the Consultant Opthalmologist at LGW.
So is this dead and burried now, or can I...... Any advice would be greatly apreciated.
Scoobster.

2close
27th Jul 2006, 17:25
Have you got a JAA Class 2 medical?

Do you have a driving licence? If 'no', is this on eyesight grounds? Have you been refused a professional driving licence on medical (eyesight) grounds?

Have you done any flying, with an instructor or without? If 'yes' when, where, what and how much (dual / solo)?

2close

Scoobster
27th Jul 2006, 19:28
Hi 2Close

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I have held a valid car driving license for about 8 years now, the head injury was infact sustained when I had newly passed my test aged 18.

I also have a Public Service Vehicle license (PSV) for driving double decker/bendy busses for London Transport, since the year 2000. The CAA are aware of this.

I lead a normal life and the defect does not affect me in anyway. In terms of flying I have had only a trial flight and another lesson, after which I decided to go straight for the Class 1 Medical but the defect was discovered by my optometrist, I informed the CAA and the rest as they say is history..

2close
27th Jul 2006, 19:55
Check your PMs.

Farrell
27th Jul 2006, 20:42
Share the knowledge 2close......PM me if you like. :ok:

Jimmy The Big Greek
27th Jul 2006, 22:09
Just an FAA first class medical certificare is of no use. But with some flying experience it will certainly favour you.

Regarding going to another JAA country and doing the medical I think is a bit meaniless since U.K is the most liberal among the JAA members. But you never know.

Scoobster
28th Jul 2006, 00:08
Hi Jimmy

I am aware of that, obviously the papers on their own are useless for just keeping in a file, but I have had to pursue this on my own and finance etc and I will be flying very soon. I am not blessed with a family, who are readily willing to churn out huge amounts of cash to throw at me for training..and have to secure this myself, along with other problems with the FAA/CAA.

In the meantime, I just want to make sure that I make the best possible feasible decisions to assit me with the process.

Farrell
2nd Aug 2006, 17:52
I think is a bit meaniless since U.K is the most liberal among the JAA members.

Really?.....check out some of our Eastern European friends.:suspect: