PDA

View Full Version : RAF eyesight requirements... need a little help

rusty_y2k2
26th Jul 2006, 21:06
Right, first of all, hello chaps!

I'm currently looking to join the RAF as a pilot and have started the ball rolling by contacting the AFCO etc.

I thought it'd be a good idea to get some basics checked out before i get into it all, and went for an eye exam today at an opticians near me.

Right, basically i have 6/4.5 in each eye... which is lovely. i also have no astigmatism, my depth perception is spot on, and my colour perception was fine too.

Now i know all that is great as far as the requirements go, but the thing that was bugging me was that she said i am really slightly long sighted (0.50 in one and 0.25 in t'other...) and she handed me a page with some really tiny writing, on which i could read even the smallest writing from right infront of my face.

She seemed to have some knowledge of the RAF requirements (she apparently had a book with the requirements, but she didn't have it with her alas), and said that i should have no problems with the eye exam, but i just wanted to see if anyone here could confirm that? I have been unable to find anything on here sufficiently detailed to clarify it.

cheers for any help