PDA

View Full Version : Debrief models

gashman
26th Jul 2006, 15:52
Does any one know where I can get some of those "jet on sticks" for air to air debriefs? Our USAF exchange dude is off and has taken his metal set of fighting sticks with him; paper planes just aren't working and talking through a rolling scissors using hands ends up with someone getting hurt. I've heard that a company in America makes some solid resin ones, anyone used them in the past?

TVM

500days2do
26th Jul 2006, 16:23
To$$er

5d2d

movadinkampa747
26th Jul 2006, 16:31
Blimey that was a bit un called for? Are you an RAF Policeman?:uhoh:

greycoat
26th Jul 2006, 16:33
why not try building your own using model ac kits from hobby shop or similar and mounting on a dowelling rod from DIY superstore? If you're smart enough to fly them, building a model shouldn't be beyond you.:)

500days2do
26th Jul 2006, 16:35
Ya gotta laugh though..:)

Copper...!! Do me a favour..

Single winged Uberrace

5d2d

buoy15
26th Jul 2006, 18:15
Attend,or employ a video/camera phone in a 'pointy' mess bar at happy hour and you will probably get all the hand configurations you need
However, if you use the audio function, it may be spoilt by a high pitched screaming which sounds like - "Meeeeeh, Meeeeeh, Meeeeeh!
How do you spot a pilot in the bar?
He walks through the door and say's "Hi everybody, I'm a pilot"

Min Drag
26th Jul 2006, 18:22
How do you spot a to$$er in the bar?
He walks thro' the door and says "I'm the buoy"
MD :ok:

gashman
26th Jul 2006, 18:56
I guess that's a no then.

On the plus side, it looks like I've started another thread where non pilots slag off pilots, rotary and multis slag off fast jet, and everyone has a go at the RAFP. :ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Jul 2006, 19:00
Is this a practice run for 1/4/07?

Roland Pulfrew
26th Jul 2006, 19:43
Is this a practice run for 1/4/07?

Go on, I'll bite! What is planned for 01 April 2007?:confused:

Captain Kirk
26th Jul 2006, 20:02
Wow - all the 'chips on shoulders' have flocked to this one!

5d2d - what IS your problem? Are you trying to be witty?

Gashman - the models I have seen have always been pretty simple affairs, most likely knocked up by stn workshops - if that still exists/hasn't been 'outsourced' on your stn - I suggest you give them a call. I might do the same - found myself with the same problem this pm.

CK

Pontius Navigator
26th Jul 2006, 20:09
Do what 228 did. A blue and a red F4 glued on to sticks.

Any good model shop will have 144 scale models of whatever you want. BBMF shop could even give you a Spit. The Aviation Centre at East Kirkby has Mig 29s or whatever.

You need 2 sets. Red/Blue for abos and grey/camo for retreads :)

BEagle
26th Jul 2006, 20:11
1. Buy 2 x model aircraft - Airfix 1/72nd scale are fine.
2. Build same, but leave off all silly aerials, pitot tubes etc. Paint in contrasting colours - one black, one red is good.
3. Pay surreptitious visit to OM billiard room and 'borrow' 2 x billiard cues.
4. Cut cues to suitable length.
5. Drill suitably sized hole in model aircrafts' back ends.
6. Mix Qty LOTS of Araldite.
7. Lubricate cues liberally with masses of Araldite, then shove firmly up the models' jacksies.
8. Wait for about a day for the Araldite to set.
9. Meanwhile, write letter to PMC, apologising for 'accident' to billiard cues....
10. Les voila - 2 x fighting sticks!
As an alternative to model aircraft, obtain a nice new pair of flying gloves from the squippers and some plaster of Paris from the local quack. Pour p-of-P into gloves and arrange in typical Happy Hour shape. Allow to set partially, insert billiard cues as mentioned above, then wait until fully set. Paint one glove red, leave the other white.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Jul 2006, 20:14
Build same, but leave off all silly aerials, pitot tubes etc:eek: don't let them hear you say that on the AH&N forum :{

Lord Woolf
26th Jul 2006, 21:55
Combat Bats are an essential part of any good BFM brief / debrief!! I have had them made up by work shops when on det in Cyprus and the Falklands but I think the Training Officers on 29 and 56 Sqn have contact details for proper models. Hope this is useful unlike other below average comments!!

Bob Viking
27th Jul 2006, 07:10
I hope I am not the victim of a double, double bluff here but what normally happens on the first of April each year?!
BV:rolleyes:

South Bound
27th Jul 2006, 07:15
Single winged Uberrace

5d2d

Do they fly well with one wing? Which side is it on, Pt or Stbd? Have things really got that bad that we can't afford the other one? Guess you earn all of your flying pay!:E

L J R
27th Jul 2006, 07:36
Obtain two small silver/gold look aircraft pins (you know, the ones they give away at airshows with the pin in the end and the small clip at the back to 'secure' it to your tie). File off the prickly bit with a metal file - CAUTION do this under adult supervision! Get two skewers,satay sticks or similar and attach as Beagle describes above - CAUTION use araldite under adult supervision.
wallah! you have a deployment set ready for those in the pub debriefs. It will challenge the not so good at seeing (being small and gold/silver etc), but they probably lost the fight earlier in the afternoon. Even better if you get the good guy pin from the Lockheed stand (f-16 or similar) and the bad guy pin from the MiG stand.....

Gainesy
27th Jul 2006, 07:43
Maybe someone should invent a telemetry pod to fit on the jets then you could have a video debrief on a big plasma screen thingy...
:hmm:

500days2do
27th Jul 2006, 07:54
"Guess you earn all of your flying pay!"

Yep when JPA lets me...

I'm fortunate enough to fly with some excellent 'Drivers' and I always thank them when they deliver me to the next party.For God sake man, why drive when you have a perfectly qualified chauffeur to do it for you. :)

5d2d

South Bound
27th Jul 2006, 07:59
Agreed, being Chauffered is the only way to travel. It is lovely of the RAF to employ so many drivers for us... Now, if they could just sort out the Inflight catering and entertainment....

ORAC
27th Jul 2006, 08:06
I knew one sad inxtructor who had a pair where they were attached to the end of the sticks with magnets. Pull too many G and they flew off the ends....... :}

500days2do
27th Jul 2006, 08:06
I totally agree...the level of service is rather p**s poor sometimes but I tend to bring my own films to watch.:) :)

Low Ball
27th Jul 2006, 09:43
Gashman

Both DHFS and ATIL have used this firm below to my knowledge, I believe they have done fixed wing work as well. They are not cheap.

3D Services
The Studio
142 Main Street
YAXLEY
Peterborough

01733-243552

LB:ok:

abbotyobs
27th Jul 2006, 12:47
I should be able to help, I will email you next week. My Station has just ordered and rec'd sticks, with the jet that you fly and also the standard adversary jet.
Cheers

gashman
27th Jul 2006, 13:15
Nice one lads, I'll chase up those leads. Abbotyobs, if you could get me the contact address for your order, that would be ace.

GM

Northern Circuit
27th Jul 2006, 13:15
If anyone has any models that they would like me to debrief all applicants are welcome

especially fhm & vogue.