PDA

View Full Version : Nav help !

oliversarmy
26th Jul 2006, 08:45
Dear all

I am planning my first sortie through controlled airspace for sometime, a flight from Shoreham to Compton Abbas.

I have in my mind a routing from Shoreham to the north of the IOW, somewhere around Weymouth then a direct line from there to the VRP that is just outside the north of the Solent CTA (sorry dont have my map with me!) then a left turn direct Compton.

My theory behind this route is that it avoids trying to overfly BOH or SOU, just a couple of questions...

1. Do you agree with the route and my attemtp to avoid BOH and SOU ?
2. If Solent do not approve my route I planned to fly below their CTA (less than 2500 I believe) and keep south of BOH ?
3. What are the chances of continuing south a little from Weymouth and getting clearance to cross overhead BOH?

Appreciate your help
OA

distaff_beancounter
26th Jul 2006, 09:04
oliversarmy
If you want to avoid Southampton & Bournemoth CTRs, I would suggest:-

go West following the coast until south of Beaulieu disused
head North West to Stoney Cross (VRP) in the New Forest
then direct Compton Abbas

Alternatively you could continue along the coast along the southern edge of the Bournemouth CTR, so long as you ask them nicely!
Just check which danger areas are active between Sandbanks and Weymouth. Otherwise the Army could be shooting at you from the land or the Navy from the sea! And Bovington (Army tank training) has a prohibited area to avoid.
Happy Flying :)

oliversarmy
26th Jul 2006, 09:12
Thanks for the reply, your first suggestion of via Beaulieu to Stoney Cross is my favoured and yes I was concerned about the south route and the danger areas.
I guess staying south of Bournemouth would be down to Solent to approve if I am remaining clear of Bournemouth's CTR?

thanks again for your help

pulse1
26th Jul 2006, 09:18
I agree with distaff but note that you must be below 2000' between Cowes and Stoney Cross to remain clear of controlled airspace. Talk to Bournemouth Radar 119.475 for that leg if you want to and can get a word in.

If you want to go further west along the coast you can turn north to skirt the west of Bournemouth CTR over Wareham.

distaff_beancounter
26th Jul 2006, 09:20
If I want to skirt along the coast south of Bournemouth CTR I usually just talk to Bournemouth Approach.
I also find that Bournemouth ATC is easier to talk to than Southampton's. The latter are often very busy and the only reply I seem to get is "G-XXXX stand by"