PDA

View Full Version : FAS: Red Arrows...#4 Go-Around...why?

Ray Darr
25th Jul 2006, 12:05
On the final Public Day, on Sunday, when the Red Arrows arrived about 1/4 way through the show...during the flypast then overhead-break then landing... #4 (or #3?) went around. Unfortunately, the ol' digital cam needed a battery change right then, so I happened to look away for a second. I did see him on short-short-finals, then doing the go-around. I just missed why he went around. He seemed in good position for landing, and the spacing looked fine from where I was watching from (adjacent to the VASI's).

No speculation, please...did anyone SEE why he went around? (His second landing was spot on, though!).

FABULOUS show, guys!!

~ R.D.

Zurg
25th Jul 2006, 12:19
Saw it too, most likely he was a little tight on the break so too close to the one ahead. Reasonable speculation!

Ray Darr
25th Jul 2006, 12:23
Yes, that was my first thought on what happened...good call on his part, except I had my head buried in the gadget-bag looking for the pesky spare battery.

Cheers,
R.D.

REF
25th Jul 2006, 12:24
On of the reds did a go-around on the Sunday at Fairford as well

BOAC
25th Jul 2006, 13:01
Maybe he enjoys doing them?:)

Edited to add: Could just be the ultimate showman - we had one of those in my time who would lose no opportunity to thrill the crowd:)

Phileas Fogg
25th Jul 2006, 13:15
Building his hours maybe :)

cleartouchandgo
25th Jul 2006, 14:03
I was standing by the threshold area and saw him drop a wing due to a gust, he then corrected and on touching down bounced so applied full power and went around.
A couple of people said the spacing probably wasn't right but I'd have thought they practised often enough and it looked fine from where I was...although the one in front may have braked a bit soon and this bouncy one may have been a bit long hence they did not have the usual/required separation.

CTG

apaddyinuk
25th Jul 2006, 14:11
Yeah I was near the touchdown part of the runway and saw it. I doubt it really is an issue to these guys but there was a lot of dust in the air just as he should have touched down so perhaps he thought his visibility was questionable

Ray Darr
25th Jul 2006, 14:52
CTG, I agree with the gusty conditions. Vis was v good tho.

At least it was a lot cooler than earlier in the week (and warmer than Saturday...pity that rain hit!).

When in doubt, GO AROUND. Good call, regardless.

Cheers,
R.D.

Groundloop
25th Jul 2006, 15:07
It is actually not that uncommon for a Red to go around when he doesn't quite get the spacing right.

Seen it happen a few times.

Just costs him a round in the Mess afterwards, probably!