View Full Version : Cabin Crew HIV

jacquelinee
24th Jul 2006, 19:35
I understand you need to undergo a medical examination if you are accepted by an airline as cabin crew. Would it be problematic to get a job if you have HIV?

Thank you,
jacquelinee

jacquelinee
25th Jul 2006, 16:21
Anyone out there who has a clue?

jacquelinee

Dash-7 lover
25th Jul 2006, 16:48
Hi Jacquelinee..

Check out this link to the Unison webpage - basically an employer can ask you
your HIV status but if they decline your application purely on that basis then you could have a claim. Some countries require you to have an HIV test before entry so this could present a problem working for an airline...

http://www.unison.org.uk/features/features.asp?did=3291

Hope this helps.

rhovsquared
25th Jul 2006, 23:20
I hope the law remains on the side of persons with HIV... we have to realise that HIV worldwide has reached ABYSSMAL proportions we simply can't afford to discriminate NO-where... after almost 30 years we still have abbudant ignorance worldwide

rhovsquared :)

BelfastChild
26th Jul 2006, 12:26
depends what country you are in and what the law there says about employers being able to ask about HIV and HIV-related discrimination

jacquelinee
27th Jul 2006, 22:11
I hope the law remains on the side of persons with HIV... we have to realise that HIV worldwide has reached ABYSSMAL proportions we simply can't afford to discriminate NO-where... after almost 30 years we still have abbudant ignorance worldwide

rhovsquared :)

I entirely agree but unfortunately this is not always the case. I personally (and probably many others in same situation) have come across this ignorance too often.

jacqueline

jacquelinee
27th Jul 2006, 22:13
depends what country you are in and what the law there says about employers being able to ask about HIV and HIV-related discrimination

Europe in general and the UK in specific.

jacqueline