PDA

View Full Version : What can I do for the next 6 months?

Wannabe Flyboy
24th Jul 2006, 15:04
Hi all,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now. I've recently finished my A Levels and I'm looking for a career in the RN. However, I can't apply to them until Jan 2007 because I had a prescription for asthma medicine under 4 years ago. So therefore I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do in the coming months. I'd really like to get some work in aviation - operations and so forth more than 'customer services'. My worst nightmare would be having to work in a shop/cinema/bowling alley along with every other 17/18 year old in the world. Not only would I find that deadly dull, I don't think it would do much to bolster my RN application next year.

I'm currently 17 (turning 18 next month) and I live in East London. I could work fairly easily at Stansted, London City, Southend, Stapleford or North Weald. I also have the opportunity to lodge with a relative very near to Heathrow so that's a possibility too. Gatwick/Luton are too far away to reach on a daily basis. I've no lack of enthusiasm to get on and do something, but I'm having trouble finding something suitable. I've looked into various options such as cabin crew/customer service agent work for a few airlines but they all seem to require previous customer service experience which I just don't have given I've spent all my life at school. That said, I've applied to a few on the off-chance. VLM/bmi/Servisair and so forth. Most major carriers require you to be aged 19 as well, so that's out the window. My back-up option - working on the Heathrow Express - declined me so that's hardly promising either.
There was an air-ground radio operator position at Stapleford open recently, but when I phoned up earlier that had already gone. I've emailed them about other 'general' work though. Ditto for North Weald.

So really, can anyone offer any advice on what to do, where to go, who to speak to and so forth? Like I say, I've never had a job before but I have flown a lot as a passenger (so I know how airports work) and I've got flying experience in Cessnas/gliders as well so I've been to smaller aerodromes too. Is there anything glaringly obvious I could do that I've missed out on so far?

Any help would be much appriciated.

R T Jones
24th Jul 2006, 18:37
Hey flyboy, I'm in a very similar situation as your self. I've just finished my A Levels and have got a gap year. I intend to use this to work at an airport, operations, passenger service or baggage, anything like that! With regard to working in shops etc like every other 17/18 year old I can defiantly relate to that. Been working at my local Curry's for 18 months and it does get tiresome!

I find most jobs have an age limit of 18, not seen 19 around on many. I've been applying to all the London airports bar London City, I live up in North London and have now decided that Gatwick is a little far! It doesn't seem that easy to get work at an airport though, I have applied for a number of jobs, about 20, and have only received an interview for one. Problem was I couldn't attend the interview as it was the same date as one of my exams!

You defiantly have the right idea though, try and get something aviation related for sure, thats what I'm trying! Feel free to pm if you have any specific questions or just want to chat

sicky
24th Jul 2006, 20:43
Why not ask the RN for an idea or a bit of advice, i assume it's the royal navy? If so, then just nip into or ring the careers office, and they'll give you the best advice!

Working at the airport - i know at Newcastle airport at least - most of the seasonal recruiting is done just after xmas in time to get everybody working there for easter-ish, so that everybody is in the role by the summer. Of course, they're still recruiting people throughout, but most of the jobs are recruited from "within".

So if you're wanting to get a job for the next 6 months or so, starting from now - press and press at the airports to try and get yourself in there now, hope that they're a bit short on numbers, and hope that there are places to keep you on over the winter!

I work in airfield operations, which means i basically push people about in wheelchairs most of the time. I'm thinking of trying to switch over to get a job dispatching, especially if i end up putting the flying off a little longer to save up some extra money. It's all airport experience, but i'd rather be doing a job which shows you can handle pressure and responsibility. Pushing wheelchairs around doesn't exactly portray this :ugh:

Hamil000
24th Jul 2006, 22:36
I am also in the same situation, I am looking for work at airport and other experience, but remember the most important thing is what you get from working, e.g. team work, talking to people, working under pressure, time management and others, you don’t have to work at airport to be a pilot, but just work experience is enough and what you learn from it, that is what the airlines are looking for, just your reasoning, and you don’t have to get it from airport, I worked in a café doing 10 hour shifts on hoot summers day, after going through all of that I new that I can do any job

Try London city airport, ramp agent you may need a driving licence or

aviationjobsearch.com

Search on yahoo or Google: London city airport jobs

AND GOOD LUCK

Big_Mach
25th Jul 2006, 00:43
I presume you are looking for a job in the Fleet Air Arm, possibly Pilot?!
If that is the case, I don't think commercial experience or, to be exact, commercial experience in aviation is absolutely necessary.
I applied, and was successful to the FAA, but (for personal reasons) turned them down. From my experience, I would say the RN is looking for a well rounded, worldy-wise, person.
Use this down-time to do things which you could not do in later life. Go travelling and broaden your horizons! In the RN you will spend many months at a time away from the UK in many foreign places, experiencing things you have never dealt with before.
Even a few months abroad (perhaps after working for a while in a shop/cinema/bowling alley to fund the expedition) at the age of 18 shows maturity, responsibility, forward planning etc which, personally, I feel will bolster your CV far more than working in an Ops department. Added to this, if you are not successful, you have had a great few months which would aide any application to University or future jobs.
Good luck

Snakecharmer
25th Jul 2006, 08:53
Check out www.deltaaviation.co.uk - they're often looking for groundcrew (ie. meet & greet + prop swinging) for their Tiger Moths (sometimes for the Rapide and CAP too) and they have an operating location near you.

elevengflyer
25th Jul 2006, 11:36
Hi all,

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now. I've recently finished my A Levels and I'm looking for a career in the RN.
Flyboy - you don't say what your looking for a career as in the RN - I think that could dictate your choice of 'fill in time' before applying. As this is a commercial jobs and sponsorhip forum are you looking to do something flying related?

Boing7117
25th Jul 2006, 11:50
I have to agree with Big_Mach on this one.

If you're looking to join the armed forces - at your age you should be looking at doing something that will give you a bit of life-experience and an edge over the strong competition.

Working in commercial aviation - while it shows you have an enthusiasm and general interest for aviation - your time could be better spent doing something a little bit bolder.

Have a look at Gap International. Look at the projects available for you to do. You could get yourself a 6 month (or even 12 month) placement somewhere in the world and do something which might push you right to the very limit of your abilities.

A friend of mine travelled to Romania when she was 18 and spent 6 months teaching in a school. Since then she's been to university, and netted herself a great job (not aviation related). The point I'm making here is that at every single interview she's been to in the last 4 years - every single interviewer has asked in detail about her time away from home in Romania. She's convinced it's got her through each interview because she had so much to talk about and learnt so many skills out there that she may not have found doing a regular job in the UK (with home comforts, english speaking folk etc etc.)

From my experience of applying to the armed forces - they love life experience. True, they also want to see a demonstration of your commitment to aviation (if you're doing an aviation-related role in the RN).

If I was 18 again I would take a gap year between going to uni / going to work - and travel somewhere a bit different - and do something a bit special.

You'll apply to the RN with A-Levels and 12 months of strong life experience. You'll be a totally different person on your return and your outlook on things will be more educated, balanced and potentially more impressive in the eyes of the RN (or indeed, any employer you decide to apply to).

Try rebuilding a village in Banda Aceh for a year, or teach some kids English in a poverty-stricken part of Africa.

I'll bet anyone who interviewed you for the RN could not fail to be impressed with something like the above on your CV.

scroggs
25th Jul 2006, 13:48
You have the rest of your life to be beholden to the world of work. Once you're there, you'll have little or no opportunity to get off the hamster wheel to go and do something different. You have an opportunity now, so take it.

Scroggs

Wannabe Flyboy
25th Jul 2006, 22:10
Thanks for all the advice so far. I am looking more towards some voluntary work somewhere in the world. I've been to pretty much everywhere in Europe so I undoubtedly have the 'travel bug'. I'm going to see my RN Careers Officer soon so I'll get his advice too.

I'd really like to do something from September through to December; not really for a whole 12 months unless my careers officer says it's a REALLY good idea. I was hoping to do the selection board sometime next month so the delay to next year has rather thrown me off course a bit. I'll have a look at the various organisation and see what appeals to me.

Thanks for your advice so far. Any more is, of course, much appreciated.

Woof etc
27th Jul 2006, 08:48
Here's something different - need 2 years work experience and a driving licence held for 2 years so might not work for you unfortunately.

I'm sure there would be lots of travel involved and sounds like it might be a laugh.

Commercial advert removed

Scroggs