PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair customer service

akindofmagic
24th Jul 2006, 13:31
Found this while on the Newcastle United unofficial fan site www.nufc.com (http://www.nufc.com)
Torp-edoed
The 09.25 flight from Oslo Torp to Newcastle will now be departing.....for somewhere else.
That was the situation that led to over 100 Newcastle fans returning from Norway being left in the lurch by low-cost airline Ryanair - now rechristened Lying Air by all and sundry.

All seemed fine until moments before boarding was due to commence, with the plane having landed from its inbound leg and passengers having disembarked.

At that point though, an alleged technical problem with the plane saw the flight delayed for an unspecified time.

Danger signs were evident at that point when an announcement was made offering passengers the chance to rebook on the same flight to Newcastle - 24 hours later.

However, the staff in the departure lounge continued to assure anyone who asked that the flight would still be leaving for Newcastle at some point that day (Sunday).

That delay though became a cancellation later on Sunday morning, despite the flight alleged to be bringing an engineer not having taken off from England at that point. Lying Air again.

At that point it became every man (and woman) for themselves, with a mad scramble to the Ryanair information desk, where two hard-pressed staff members did their best to rebook passengers on flights to other destinations.

As a result Newcastle fans were scattered across the UK and Europe, as spare seats on any Ryanair flight out of Torp were quickly snapped up.

Some fans then found themselves on flights to Glasgow, Liverpool, Stansted and Frankfurt - rebooked free but then left to fend for themselves to get back home - incurring flight, bus, train, taxi, car hire and hotel fees - plus of course the massive inconvenience of being hours late and dumped miles from their intended destination.

The lucky ones were away within a few hours, but many others were faced with an extra night in Norway or a mad dash to other airports to try and grab seats home with other airlines.

That mean forking out sums of £150 and upwards, not including internal travel in Norway (more than the flight price for some who resorted to prohibitively-priced taxis)

To add further insult, some of those fans rebooked with Ryanair then found themselves travelling back on the actual plane that had been due to fly to Newcastle - miraculously airworthy again, now that it was required to fly somewhere other than Tyneside.

Given the confusion, conflicting information and evidence of our own eyes, our initial conclusion is that the airline simply pulled their Oslo to Newcastle flight for their own convenience and invented a spurious problem to relieve themselves of any responsibility to the stranded passengers.

Ryanair's position in all of this is that they bear no responsibility - we're trying to contact someone there now to speak to about their disgraceful conduct in all of this - more to follow.
ends

Sadly, this type of conduct seems like par for the course now. How long are people going to put up with this sort of half-arsed customer non-service? It's nothing short of a disgrace.

skysod
24th Jul 2006, 13:36
You get what you pay for!:}

apaddyinuk
24th Jul 2006, 14:15
And I bet that someone out there read this article and at the same moment thought "oh, I need to book that ticket to wherever, best get onto the Ryanair website"!!!!
As MOL says, any publicity is good publicity, the newspapers would be better off ignoring stories like this, it would probably piss MOL off more!!! :}

judge11
24th Jul 2006, 14:27
Isn't Ryanair and Customer Service like Matter and Anti-Matter - the 2 cannot coexist?

cwatters
24th Jul 2006, 15:57
The original post appears to make quite a serious allegation... eg That a flight was cancelled but the reason given was untrue.

I wonder if any pax took out travel insurance and subsequently made claims based on what they were told? Do insurance companies ever check or just pay out? Perhaps they should.

cwatters
24th Jul 2006, 16:13
This thread got me thinking about Flight Cancellation Insurance to replace the "service" offered by the regular airlines. How much do you have to add to the cost of a loco to ensure some kind of help getting home. A quick google suggests it costs around £12 for a return flight or £8 for a single.

24th Jul 2006, 16:59
After a few months of faxes/emails, I can certainly confirm at least 2 people working in overworked Ryanair Customer Services!
They even have the courtesy to timely respond now that I am considering a Small Claims Court to recover EU Compensation for the short notice cancellation of my Cardiff-Dublin flight early May.