PDA

View Full Version : Kneeboard for a Firefly

Cricket23
22nd Jul 2006, 11:20
I've recently started flying a Slingsby and have found that a standard A5 kneeboard just doesn't work well in the Firefly as it keeps snagging on the stick.

I've thought about a glider/microlight kneeboard as I suppose these must be narrower.

Does anybody have any ideas pls.

C23.

PS - I know that flying suits have a knee panel, but lI don't fancy wearing one.

BroomstickPilot
22nd Jul 2006, 11:38
Cricket23,

I once flew a Firefly, so I know what you mean. (Actually I find the Warrior, with its control yoke and sit-up-and-beg seating position, even worse).

After trying several kneeboards, including two I made myself, I found that a helicopter kneeboard was better than the A5 variety. I have a Pooleys HB-1, which I have been using for cross country flying. It was not the complete answer, but it was better.

I have now had some pants made in Nomex that have pockets and a window panel pocket approximating to the lower half of a flying suit. If you want the details PM me and I'll give you the gen.

Broomstick.

S-Works
22nd Jul 2006, 16:20
i just write evrything on the map...........

tmmorris
22nd Jul 2006, 16:22
Flying suit?

Seriously, that's what I do in a Firefly on the limited occasions that I fly one.

Tim

Piltdown Man
22nd Jul 2006, 23:01
Kneeboard in a glider - you joketh verily! What for! Never used one in 15 years. In bug smashers, I felt that I had discovered the Lord when I realised I didn't need one when flying one of those as well. And in a microlight, I would have thought that a kneeboard would be about as much use as an ashtray. Mind you, if you are going to wear a flying suit I'd make sure that get one that has lots of big, pretty badges.

bcfc
24th Jul 2006, 08:01
Had the same issue and found this one works.

http://www.wings-aviation.com/Kneeboards/Kneereverse.html

It has a normal kneeboard that slips out and you can use chinagraph on the plastic, while its wrapped around your leg.

And for those extra steep turns, it'll with stand 9G! :eek: