PDA

View Full Version : East London Heliport

Benet
22nd Jul 2006, 10:51
I missed the London Assembly Environment Committee meeting (I ended up filming a burning warehouse for the BBC instead) but my astute colleagues at The Wharf (http://icthewharf.icnetwork.co.uk/printable_version.cfm?objectid=17416718&siteid=71670) didn't.
From the article:

HELIPORT PLAN FOR THE EAST

Jul 20 2006

Docklands airport suggests a site to cope with rise in chopper traffic
By Lucy Walters

PLANS for an east London heliport to cater for the capital's ever-increasing helicopter traffic have been mooted by London City Airport.
The capital has only one official heliport at Battersea and with the 2012 Olympics looming large the Royal Docks airport (designated LCY) believes it is time to develop a co-ordinated approach to helicopter activity.
LCY put its suggestion to the London Assembly Environment Committee (LAEC), which is conducting an investigation into helicopter noise in London.
Airport managing director Richard Gooding outlined plans to site a helipad on the banks of the Thames.
A specific site has yet to be identified but he ruled out the airport, where helicopters would conflict with existing operations.
Mayor Ken Livingstone's London Plan says he will consider the need "of identifying sites in east London for an additional heliport to support London's economy".
LCY business development director Charles Buchanan said: "We expect to see helicopter routes extended, to follow the Thames, that will then pass through our airspace.
"By introducing a London City Airport Heliport, we would be able to enforce a coordinated approach, maximising the use of airspace and minimising the impact on the environment."
On Thursday (July 13) LAEC heard the capital's skies are congested and helicopters are being forced to fly at a lower level.
However, the Civil Aviation Authority and British Helicopter Advisory Board said the extent of the problem is not known due to a lack of helicopter monitoring.
Mr Gooding said: "The Olympics will cause a lot of demand for this type of flight, so let's use this opportunity to plan and do this properly.
"The industry needs to address this issue - doing nothing is not an option. We should be pulling together to make sure the subject is properly addressed by the Greater London Authority and the Government
"We are very experienced in dealing with the environmental impact of aircraft noise. We are prepared to put together some ideas and run with this."
LCY launched Private Jet, a corporate jet service, earlier this year and took over handling facilities for corporate flights at RAF Northolt.
LAEC chairman Darren Johnson AM said: "There is strong evidence that Londoners are increasingly concerned about helicopter noise.
The siting of a new heliport could also be a major source of controversy."
The committee's report will be published in the autumn.

chevvron
22nd Jul 2006, 11:43
How long before Red Ken starts congestion charging helicopters?

mickjoebill
22nd Jul 2006, 12:30
LAEC chairman Darren Johnson AM said: "There is strong evidence that Londoners are increasingly concerned about helicopter noise.
The siting of a new heliport could also be a major source of controversy."
The committee's report will be published in the autumn.

Was the "strong evidence" presented at the meeting?

Mickjoebill

Colonal Mustard
23rd Jul 2006, 08:36
I have to hold my hands up and say i arranged for the Mill Dome helipad to be where it was, the issue was raised then for a more permanant site to follow, and it caused an absolute outcry with ye ole locals living on south bank, the only suitable ones we found (if it were to be on the thames, which is what we wanted) meant it was on the climbout/approach to LCA, and that wasnt good