PDA

View Full Version : US new hire..

nwapilotwife
22nd Jul 2006, 00:07
I was just congratulated on being hired by Cathay Pacific for north american freighter but something is a little strange...I was asked for base preference and asked for ATL or DFW but was told they were no longer hiring for those bases and were uncertain about those bases future.I also said I would work any other US base but then was told I would be called later , somewhere in the 2nd quarter of the next year for a class date. I had been led to beleive htey were in dire need for pilots in the US so thats why I chose those as my bases..I wouldnt mind working overseas but was not given that option. Has anyone had this experience? ANy info wold be great.Also what about they pay.They say they are negotiiating and cant tell me...:confused:

barntrash
22nd Jul 2006, 01:30
Congrats on the job. The process is slow, 6 months or more is the norm for a course date. Was told ATL and DFW were performing well and DFW would perhaps be a base at some point. The good news is preferred port is an option with either ATL or DFW.

n818af
22nd Jul 2006, 06:40
CX fly to DFW? How soon?

bigbeerbelly
22nd Jul 2006, 12:34
If you request an PANC base, your wait will probably be less. Congratulations!

BBB

2footlong
22nd Jul 2006, 14:46
Can I ask when you did your 2nd interview/sim? Please....
2F

J32drivr
22nd Jul 2006, 15:39
They are in dire need of pilots, but the process is a somewhat long one, which is why class dates are so far out. However, I would expect a call somewhat sooner than second quarter next year-I did my 2nd int. in late April, was told late this year or earlier next year for a class date, but got an Aug class. Everyone I interviewed with will either be in class with me or the next one which starts in early Oct.
Regarding the bases, DFW is not a crew base yet, so thats that. ATL is, but is very senior within the company, and there is already a list of current pilots that want to transfer to ATL once a vacancy opens up. ORD is the same way, the base is full, and anytime there's a vacancy it is usually filled by current pilots. Working overseas isn't an option because one can't be based directly in HK as an FO, and to work on the freighter in one of the other countries you must have the right to work in that country ie citizenship. So the only current real options for a new hire are JFK, LAX, or ANC. Knowing how they operate, if you tell them you'll take ANY base, you're going to ANC. If thats not what you really want, I would email Amy back with a list of base preferences in order. You can list ATL first, but don't expect it.
The pay issue is a non-issue. The pay is excatly as advertised on sites like airlinepilotcentral.com; only when you hear that they've begun hiring DEFO PAX US based with there be a new payrate taking effect, and then only for those hired AFTER that effective date.
Hope this helps, Congrats on getting through.

barntrash
23rd Jul 2006, 02:07
Just curious, I live in DFW and obviously would prefer to start and stop my trips here via the preferred port program, which I know very little about.Would it be to my advantage to take an ANC basing, since the other two that are available are not served direct from DFW. I have ATL, LAX, ORD as my prefs, but if the ANC base would work more to my advantage, I will change my prefs.

Any advice?

Mr. Bloggs
23rd Jul 2006, 02:11
CX will hold off as many new hires until the new pay scale/rate is introduced.

It shouldn’t be very long to take effect because CX will not talk about our pay rate until HKAOA brings in the new reduced DEFO pay rate and age 60.

From my experience and the history of cathay pilots, the current pilots will have no issue bringing in a new pay scale/rate if promised a meager pay increase for themselves. Then wonder in 5-7 years why the company will come after their pay and then provide no pay increase for inflation. That is just the way it is here. We let it happen.

In CX history, the current pilots blamed the new hires for their pay scale/rate’s demise and said the lower pay scale is to blame because they joined. In reality, the current pilots will not stand up for themselves, let alone some new DEFO.

The sooner you get in, the better the pay scale. Good to have you aboard. Too bad we can’t protect your pay scale/rate and in the process protect our own, but that is life here.

The Interviewers couldn’t tell you because they don’t know, but could have shown you the proposal, but then may not have joined.

Knowing CX, they will not tell you until you have signed on the dotted line.

J32drivr
23rd Jul 2006, 16:30
Just curious, I live in DFW and obviously would prefer to start and stop my trips here via the preferred port program, which I know very little about.Would it be to my advantage to take an ANC basing, since the other two that are available are not served direct from DFW. I have ATL, LAX, ORD as my prefs, but if the ANC base would work more to my advantage, I will change my prefs.

Any advice?

That depends. You will be starting and ending most of your trips out of ANC, so if you can and don't mind commuting up there most of the time, then go for it (Remember though, you cant J.S. on Cathay freighters). The preffered port options is for times when, for example, they would need you to start a trip in LAX instead of ANC for operational reasons(maybe the frieghter was on mechanical in LA or something like that). Instead of flying you from ANC to LAX, they would fly you out of your preffered port of DFW. Other times they might fly you into or out of your preffered port would be for recurrent training (if they don't encorporate it into your trip). Basically, I wouldn't count on getting flown out of your preffered port TOO often. I don't know who flies DFW to ANC regularly, but I don't imagine it's an incredibly easy commute. Hope that helps.

nwapilotwife
26th Jul 2006, 01:01
Can I ask when you did your 2nd interview/sim? Please....
2F

I had my secong interview July 10th and 11th.Called back the next week and Amy gave me the news.

nwapilotwife
26th Jul 2006, 01:05
They are in dire need of pilots, but the process is a somewhat long one, which is why class dates are so far out. However, I would expect a call somewhat sooner than second quarter next year-I did my 2nd int. in late April, was told late this year or earlier next year for a class date, but got an Aug class. Everyone I interviewed with will either be in class with me or the next one which starts in early Oct.
Regarding the bases, DFW is not a crew base yet, so thats that. ATL is, but is very senior within the company, and there is already a list of current pilots that want to transfer to ATL once a vacancy opens up. ORD is the same way, the base is full, and anytime there's a vacancy it is usually filled by current pilots. Working overseas isn't an option because one can't be based directly in HK as an FO, and to work on the freighter in one of the other countries you must have the right to work in that country ie citizenship. So the only current real options for a new hire are JFK, LAX, or ANC. Knowing how they operate, if you tell them you'll take ANY base, you're going to ANC. If thats not what you really want, I would email Amy back with a list of base preferences in order. You can list ATL first, but don't expect it.
The pay issue is a non-issue. The pay is excatly as advertised on sites like airlinepilotcentral.com; only when you hear that they've begun hiring DEFO PAX US based with there be a new payrate taking effect, and then only for those hired AFTER that effective date.
Hope this helps, Congrats on getting through.
Thanks for all the info.I was led to believe DFW was upand running..but then Amy told me on the phone the other day that they were not sure about the future of the ATL base DFW base.Just thought that was wierd.Anway thanks again...I will bide my time till they call..

barntrash
26th Jul 2006, 02:35
The guys at the cocktail party told us that DFW and ATL were doing very well, not sure where Amy is getting her info. Seems to conflict though.

Herk Pilot
26th Jul 2006, 03:55
What about the new pay rates? A "C" scale? :ugh: Anyone got the link or can fill me in on this?

I'm about to interview on 2 August in YVR.

Thanks!

BarBQ
27th Jul 2006, 19:07
Thanks to NWAPILOTWIFE for posting the question on US bases and preferred ports in the US.
Does anyone know the exact or approximate number of crews that are based in ATL/ANC/ORD/JFK/DFW?

And how long is the wait list for a DE FO to get to ATL given a hire date of August 07?

Pilots based outside of Hong Kong do not get the yearly completion bonus just the provident fund contribution...is this info correct?

Thanks.

BarBQ

skibeagle
28th Jul 2006, 23:03
That is correct, no thirteenth month unless you are in HK. Also don't ever expect to see a profit share at Cathay Pacific again. Also, if you have a shred of integrity, go somewhere else, this place will change you... and not for the better....

That said, if you're a self server, look out for number one, yes I'll fly for free or ex-military fast jet guy without the b@lls to go into battle (yes they exist here) and you like working with people who think nothing of breaking hiring bans (lots of them here too), this is the place for you....

Max Reheat
29th Jul 2006, 00:51
It's so easy to sit there and critcise the company, but tell me where in the world is there a better option? CX has never furloughed a pilot - even in the darkest days of SARS.
We do not have a culture here that differentiates between nationalities, however it is expected that the pilots fly the Companies aeroplanes the way the company requires and use standard PANS-OPS RT procedures. If anyone feels they are not up to it or are too good to do it our way they can take their expertise elsewhere!
By the way skibeagle.... if you ask around there are plenty of 'ex-military fast jet guys' who earned their medals in the Falklands, Gulf War and Southern Watch... be VERY careful how you swing that big Tar Brush of yours!!!

psy clops
29th Jul 2006, 07:27
Skibeagle wroteor ex-military fast jet guy without the b@lls to go into battleNice comment! Chopped were we? Shame...
With you on your thirteenth month observation mind you.

J32drivr
29th Jul 2006, 23:00
Alright everyone, I'm going to jump in one last time (maybe):) , because I'm concerned that some pilots make their career choices based upon the wrong criteria. I don't know if some of the concerns come because this is one's first Airline job or whatever, but I will attempt to provide some "insight" or "food for thought" based upon my own experiences in this industry and those of my friends.
-BarBQ-you wonder how long long it would take for a DEFO to hold ATL? Truth be told, today it could be 1 year, tomorrow it could be 5 years. You could get ATL and then 3 months later CX might pull out of ATL altogether. It all depends on the market and what those senior to you choose to do. If working for CX is really what you want, and having an ATL base is an added bonus, then you are prepared with the right mindset. If being based in the SE US is the most important thing to you, then you might want to consider Airtran or ASA. I've seen MANY MANY friends get really frustrated because they chose a company based upon, well, the bases, only to have the airline close the domicile after they've been at the company awhile. The only sure bet concerning domiciles is the one where the company is headquartered.
-Herk Pilot-You ask about the C scale. Well, no one knows what its going to be excactly. Cathay comes up with their payscales by comparing what we would be making here in the States with a legacy carrier, except at a legacy it would take us 10+ years to hold widebody FO, so then they have to kinda work backwards. Regardless of what the new payscale is, I can say with almost all certainty that it will be higher than the starting pay anywhere else in the US (I have friends at just about every Legacy,LCC, Regional, Fractional, and Cargo carrier, so I feel very confident in that), and will be more money with more time off over time, with the exception right now of Fedex and maybe UPS. I wouldn't worry about it until it's offered to you. If you get in at the current pay, then you're fine. Besides, over time who knows whats going to happen to pay. I know SO many guys that went to legacy carriers about 6 years ago and had no desire to go to Southwest purely based on money. Now look at the payscales. Just goes to show that anything can happen.
-Barntrash, you mention at the cocktail party that they mentioned DFW and ATL were doing well. Just a guess, but they could be referring to the cargo loads and operation, not neccessarily referring to a crew base.

I just want everyone to be in the right frame of mind when choosing a career (we hope) with an airline. Making a choice based soley upon bases, current payscales (to a degree), etc. is a recipe for disater without considering growth stategy, business model, company culture, etc. Hope this helps a little. Fly safe

xldaddy
30th Jul 2006, 04:39
nice post j32, appreciated.

Kitsune
30th Jul 2006, 06:10
Excellent post j32driver :D

Jumbonomore
31st Jul 2006, 16:32
Re perferred ports...No per diem/hotel/travel at base or perferred port. Almost impossible to ID 90 to ANC in the Summer. With no North America base coordinator(shortly) to get you home, it could get really ugly. And if you miss a trip, you are toast, It's not like a US carrier where one can call in sick at the last moment. Never forget that you are working on a 90 day contract; nothing more, nothing less.

BarBQ
31st Jul 2006, 17:47
Thanks to all who responded to my post especially to J32drivr.

I did not expect my questions to cause such a stir. I am not basing my career decision on the preferential port or base selections offered by Cathay. Hard to find information is all that I was trying to gather. J32 driver provided the clearest non emotional information I was looking for. I believe maintaining ones professional poise even on posts like this is important.

Cheers,
BarBQ

DonG
4th Aug 2006, 17:33
I can tell that your post was written thoughtfully and with honesty. Initially, working for Cathay was a goal, but now that I have a good left seat job in a good US regional and a pending 1st interview with CX later this month. I'm debating if this all worth it. There are a lot of negative comments in this forum, especially for DESO's, but just like my current company, there are a few bad apples that stir the whole pot. Thanks J32 and I'll continue studying and worry if I do get an offer.

bigbeerbelly
4th Aug 2006, 18:59
and worry if I do get an offer.

IMHO, if this is really how you feel, perhaps out of respect for the other applicants whose career goal it is to work for Cathay, you should not accept the interview.

:ugh:
BBB