PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about carriers to Tokyo

MidlandDan
21st Jul 2006, 21:15
Im flying to NRT in early September, and have narrowed the choices down to flying with AZ, from LHR-FCO and then to NRT on JAL, or with Korean Air from LHR-ICN-NRT

.....not sure which one would be better, for service and entertainment, as they are both very close with connection times, im swinging towards JAL to be honest although both flights are on 744s

I would appreciate any opinions on the carriers or any other ideas about flying these routes

Much appreciated :)

traveller5
22nd Jul 2006, 11:03
From LHR, JAL and ANA are probably the best in terms of direct routing and excellent customer service. JAL now uses the 777-300 on the NRT route - an excuse to fly on a state of the art aircraft! VS are pretty good because they use the A340-600, with on demand IFE, even in economy. BA are ok, but only in First or Club, despite the dated IFE system. BA economy to NRT tend not to get much service in between meals, unlike JAL, ANA and VS who come round frequently with a trolley of drinks and snacks/food etc.

Via Europe, AF are not bad, but their early departure varies between the A330 (!) and the 777-200, their evening NRT is a 773. Food is excellent.

AZ are ok, but not a patch on the alternative direct routes.

MidlandDan
22nd Jul 2006, 11:19
thanks for that traveller5, ANA had an offer which i was tempted by but was only for a month return, when i need three, sure id love to fly direct from LHR but my wallet wont stretch to that :rolleyes:

AZ would only be to FCO and then JAL onto NRT, which is why im tempted, to be honest good entertainment is a must, im flying with my girlfriend and she needs to be kept entertained!:)

Ive flown SAS and AZ before to NRT, and i would say SAS were better overall, although AZ were not half as bad as i was expecting

Turkish via IST seem cheap, although im a tad dubious

PAXboy
22nd Jul 2006, 12:25
I have not flow this particular route before, as we approached Japan from the other side. However, that was JAL and they were very fine. From all that I have heard about Korean, I would avoid them like the plague. If the cost is similar, then AZ + JAL sound like the answer.

MidlandDan
22nd Jul 2006, 14:54
Well ive heard some good things about Korean, and the night flight out of LHR would be good for us, Asiana is also an option, but as silly as it may seem PTVs and good quality entertainment is a priority, my girlfriend isnt a great flyer, doesnt share my love of all things with wings :)

747boy
22nd Jul 2006, 15:33
Good to see you still haven't made a decision about this flight. Just wondering why you need 3 threads to make up your mind. This thread
and these two.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2579788#post2579788

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229372

Direct from LHR with either ANA, JAL or VS is the way to go. :ok:

MidlandDan
22nd Jul 2006, 16:17
Well, cirumstances have changed and so have the flight options, i was under the impression this is an aviation forum, thus questions about flights/carriers/routes seem appropriate topics, no?

TightSlot
23rd Jul 2006, 13:28
i was under the impression this is an aviation forum, thus questions about flights/carriers/routes seem appropriate topics, no?
They are, but multiple posts on the same issue in different forums is regarded as a sort of minor breach of etiquette - just so that you know for next time

christep
23rd Jul 2006, 14:39
Have you considered Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong? They generally have pretty good fares out of the UK to destinations beyond Hong Kong.

joniveson
24th Jul 2006, 04:34
And I thought I was indecisive! ;)
When my friends came to visit me in Japan in April they flew Alitalia and JAL, I think it was via Milan but not too sure. They were not overly impressed by JAL's catering or IFE. I've only flown internally with JAL but the legroom was good and service was fine.
I flew ANA from NRT-LHR return last Christmas and they were really good. Seat back tellies and AVOD in economy and you could go to one of the gallies and help yourself to drinks and snacks at any time. The service was really good and friendly too.
I flew out here last year with KLM, HUY-AMS-KIX and wouldn't recommend it. No seat back tellies on a 747, poor entertainment, poor service and very small meals. It was very cheap though (around £350 one way) so I suppose you get what you pay for. :(
As for Korean, I've never been that brave but know plenty of people that have and most wouldn't recommend them for a number of reasons.
I'd definitely go for ANA