PDA

View Full Version : RN Aircrewman

Bannock
21st Jul 2006, 19:17
Any truth in the rumour that RN Aircrewman are abandoning ship in rather large numbers. Branch manning short by 35% and Civvy recruiters looking for a lot more.
I hear Aberdeen is a great run ashore!!!

R 21
21st Jul 2006, 19:23
Whats to leave for? The great wages, the oportunity for travel (if you like boats or deserts), so much manning its easy to get time off (not), modern aircraft (ha ha) ...................

nothing to declare poop poop !!!

Talking Radalt
21st Jul 2006, 19:50
Well they do train alongside real crewmen from the light blue side of the house.
12 months at Shropshire's finest aviation establishment....
RN = Cpl (or whatever they call it on ships)
RAF = Sgt

You do the maths.
And the SH world is always short of bods.

Toxteth O'Grady
21st Jul 2006, 20:49
Any truth in the rumour that RN Aircrewman are abandoning ship in rather large numbers.

Yep - but not to become Crabs.

:cool:

TOG

Always_broken_in_wilts
21st Jul 2006, 23:17
"Yep - but not to become Crabs."

Is that because it's an education/qualification issue:p

all spelling mistakes are"df" alcohol induced

Toxteth O'Grady
21st Jul 2006, 23:57
Is that because it's an education/qualification issue:p

Yep - since they've already gained both from the pusser it would be difficult to take them away. :} :ok:

TOG

Krystal n chips
22nd Jul 2006, 06:18
Slightly off thread, but maybe somebody could answer a query please re RN Aircrewmen which I have been intrigued about for a long time. Worked with many ex RN engineers over the years, but about 10 years ago, I used to work with two who both said they performed aircrewman roles in addition to their primary role as maintainers. The first said that when he was embarked with a Lynx, he was trained as a winchman and fllew as such, when required, during his time on the Sqdn / ship. I have no reason to disbelieve him here. The second however, claimed that when he was in the junglie world, again as a maintainer, he frequently flew as an aircrewman deploying troops etc. In his case, I was always suspicious given that B/s was part of his nature and you have to ask serious questions about anybody who, when being promoted at work one evening, promtly nips down to M n S the next day, buys a couple of white shirts prior to be issued such---in order to "show he was in charge now " :yuk: . Their time in the RN would have been mid 80's -mid 90's so things may well have been different then.

Bannock
22nd Jul 2006, 07:00
The first guy you are talking about is Kosher. Lynx flights train there engineers to carry out winchman duties and are very good indeed, as many Navy News articles will prove.
However defendant number 2 really is talking out of his Harris. There is more to being a Jungly crewman that shifting troops.

Krystal n chips
22nd Jul 2006, 07:35
Bannock---Thanks for the reply:ok: The first guy was genuine in every respect----the second however, was one of life's natural a££sholes and even though I challenged him several times about his claim--he was adamant about it. Hence the query here at an opportune moment as it were.

vecvechookattack
24th Jul 2006, 21:36
He may of course been a flying maintainer

Easy,easy,steady.
25th Jul 2006, 00:58
Sounds more like a B/S artist to me!

Anyway, back to the topic and it would have to depend on what Pusser is prepared to offer to compete with the speculation about civilian SAR salaries and shift patterns. Not to mention existing pensions and gratuities.................................................. ...........

Hardly Worth it
25th Jul 2006, 20:30
[quote=Talking Radalt]Well they do train alongside real crewmen from the light blue side of the house.

Real Crewmen ! mmmmmmm I wonder who they could be !

Easy,easy,steady.
29th Jul 2006, 10:24
"Real Crewmen" from the light blue side? Is that why they're called AE Ops and other odd and dodgy titles? :ok:

PTC REMF
29th Jul 2006, 12:28
Yep - but not to become Crabs.
TOG
Is that why one flight on a Wokka squadron has got five of them?

Always_broken_in_wilts
29th Jul 2006, 12:57
At least two on the J model who saw the light, worked hard to make the big step up to ALM and have never looked back:p

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Rangeblind
29th Jul 2006, 21:37
I here that the RN ACMN branch is fast approaching un sustainability. Not least due to the lack of through put in Merlin training.

sargod
2nd Aug 2006, 10:40
As the RN are washing their hands of SAR come 2012, all the Acmn who are not willing to leave Cornwall and take an extra £20,000 a year will be swept under the Merlin carpet. The writing is on the wall and has been for a while, i think the number is up to 10 Acmn who have moved up North and none have gone back i wonder why;) !!!

Bannock
3rd Aug 2006, 06:31
Good Buzz!!
A Lot more civvy jobs about to be offered and not just for the SAR community.

Easy,easy,steady.
3rd Aug 2006, 17:24
Pension trap, for the moment at least!

sargod
4th Aug 2006, 10:18
Easy,easy,steady

Pension trap, for the moment at least!:ugh:

You need to look at the world outside , you can earn more than your pension can ever provide, invest the extra dosh and you will be sitting pretty, you still get your forces pension when you are 60.

The jobs are out there now , people who sit on fences spend a lifetime plucking splinters out of their a***!!!:)

whopperchopper
6th Aug 2006, 20:19
SG

Don't waste your time on the lifers who believe their life is their pension!! They will be old before they know it.;)

Easy,easy,steady.
8th Aug 2006, 14:58
When you've done 20 years already and only 2 more until gratuity and pension day, how badly do you want to see yourself off after all that?