PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance 600C

ASR72
21st Jul 2006, 18:41
I am thinking of getting one, to use purely as an aid and nothing more. As I know absolutely nothing about GPS does have any experience of this particular product and would they recommend it.

acuba 290
21st Jul 2006, 19:17
oh yes, i also was thinking about this one...If somebody already used this model?

markflyer6580
21st Jul 2006, 19:36
Me too,looks like a bit of a bargain!

IO540
21st Jul 2006, 21:59
If getting a GPS for flying, get the one with the biggest colour map which you can afford.

No need to be shy and say it is for use as an aid :) It's like somebody walking into an introduction agency saying he's checking it out "for a friend" :)

Say again s l o w l y
21st Jul 2006, 22:12
I had a play with a colour Lowrance this week (I have no idea of the model no.) and I have to say I was impressed. For the money, the screen was big, the data entry was easy and navigating around the functions was very easy.

I liked it alot, but I still prefer the Garmin 296, but I use Garmin stuff all the time so I'm probably biased.

neilcharlton
22nd Jul 2006, 13:12
review in this months pilot .
all good apart from you cant see the screen in sunlight !! :ugh:

formationfoto
22nd Jul 2006, 17:38
It is a great little unit but if you have a bright cockpit the screen leaves a little to be desired. Functionality cant be faulted though. If you are a 'Garmin man' then you probably wont take the risk but if you want to save a couple of hundred quid on the garmin range take a look.

Rans Flyer
22nd Jul 2006, 20:46
I replaced a Garmin 96C with one just over a month ago.
http://www.flightforlife.co.uk/images/grey-dash.jpg
My main issues with the unit are:
There is no MATZ information. (Apparently Lowrance are looking into this.)
And the base map hasn’t got much information (again, according to Delahays & Lowrance there will be a ‘FreedomMap + Terrain MMC available in the autum). Freedom maps have street level detail – a bit like the automotive software for Garmin units.
Also I've found the quality of Delehays superb.
http://www.flightforlife.co.uk/images/600c.jpg
Rans.
www.FlightForLife.co.uk