PDA

View Full Version : Fitness

frogone
21st Jul 2006, 12:40
Anyone got any miracle ways to keep in shape!?

Since I started flying I have stopped playing rugby, which was the main way I exercised.

Some people run, but at the end of a long day I just couldn't be bothered going running, 70% lazyness but the 30% is that I'm tired and feel it would be a pointless excersice, because I would not beable to push myself.

Now before I'm called a fat ba$tard, my BMI is just within 'Normal' limits. I appreciate it's a case of getting into a routine. Anyone care to share theirs?

IR

Scenic Route
21st Jul 2006, 12:58
Acquire a horse. you don't have to ride it...... Just trying to get the frecking thing in from the field can give you a 45 minute waltzing-running-being dragged along while hanging on to the lead rope for dear life- session.:mad: lugging the shaving bails around will help with upper body strength too!;) and it won't seem like your working out cos the moment the equine decides it'll do as you want you think its all worth it. You'll cut down on your food intake too when you get the bills from the vet-livery stables-farrier-saddlery shop etc etc.:ugh:

fireflybob
24th Jul 2006, 23:26
Firstly join a good health club - you will then be working out in a much more pleasant environment all the year round. Where I go there are 8 channels of music you can listen to and also 4 TV channels. They also have both an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, the latter is heated and available throughout the whole year. You are also surrounded by "like minded people" (bit of a generalisation, I know!) who can be supportive in your quest to stay fit and healthy.

Also, make sure you get a good coach - if necessary and affordable pay to have a personal coach.

I was never into exercise 15 years ago but I decided to make it part of my lifestyle and I have not looked back since - I feel and look much healthier and can honestly say I get a high from working out! Recently I have taken up rowing - my health club has a great rowing coach and upwards of 15 participants turn up for the training sessions and about once a month we go for a meal afterwards. All these factors motivate me to keep going rather than slouch at home watching the TV. Yes, the subscription to the health club costs a bit but this is another incentive to keep going!

Finally, the biggest benefit of regular exercise, in my opinion, is mental more than physical.

Hope this helps!

bafanguy
25th Jul 2006, 00:27
Get a treadmill...put it in the house...put a TV in front of it...do 30 minutes as many times a week as you can stand before you wake up...break a nasty sweat.

It won't control your weight but will give your heart a workout, which is all that really counts.

If the treadmill is in the house...staring you in the face...you have no excuse NOT to get on it. It's not too cold/too hot in your house...it's not raining in your house...is it ?

You're busted, Amigo. Treadmills are pretty cheap.

low n' slow
25th Jul 2006, 08:27
Just go out for a walk, at least for an hour, every day. Preferrably before breakfast. It'll do wonders for you.

/LnS

bafanguy
25th Jul 2006, 14:12
Just go out for a walk, at least for an hour, every day. Preferrably before breakfast. It'll do wonders for you.
/LnS

Yes, walking is a great exercise...if one will do it. It wouldn't take much of an excuse to get me to drop the day's outdoor exercise...it's too cold...raining...too windy...too sunny...too dark...too cloudy...Groundhog Day...

Having the treadmill in the basement leaves me with very few excuses NOT to put in my 30 minutes a day.

However, I'm waiting to open up the newspaper some morning and read about a medical study proving exercise isn't really necessary. My last bout of exercise will then be hauling the treadmill to the curb for the trashmen to pick up.

captwannabe
25th Jul 2006, 20:04
I feel and look much healthier

Finally, the biggest benefit of regular exercise, in my opinion, is mental more than physical

I completely agree with that. Regular exercise makes you feel great. You look and feel better/healthier, and it can make you feel very positive and alive. Deadly buzz! ;)

I don't know if I agree with getting a treadmill. They are quite costly, whereas if you join a health club, you can use a variety of machines to vary your workout. Also, if you live outside of the city, there's no need to exercise indoors. It's much better to be out in the fresh air admiring the beautiful scenery as you have a coronary by the side of the road after pushing yourself a bit too hard!

bafanguy
25th Jul 2006, 20:50
Regular exercise makes you feel great.

Yep, it makes you feel great...when you stop. It's like the old joke about the guy hitting himself in the head with a hammer. Someone asks why he's doing that, to which he replies, "...because it feels so good when I stop...".

Treadmills aren't all that expensive. You can get a no-frills one for $500-600. How long does it take to spend that much money at a health club ?

But, if you have the unfailing self discipline to jog outside regardless of the weather or go the the health club when it seems like too much trouble to get in the car, drive over there and drive back home...you're a better man than I.

Fortunately, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. Boils down to doing something...whatever works for you and you can sustain over the DECADES.

You only have to do it until you die...so you got that going for ya.

meat bomb
24th Aug 2006, 19:31
Swimming is a good way to keep in shape without high impact on the joints, most good gyms will have a pool and you dont have to be a speed demon - just do a reasonable distance.

starrr
26th Aug 2006, 14:40
Swimming & walking are great exercises.. You can also try Winsor Pilates or yoga, Been using it for a long time it's really effective it can keep your body well toned in shape.

airbus2boeing
27th Aug 2006, 05:37
I have sex 3 times a day, awesome way to keep in shape.:}

BelfastChild
27th Aug 2006, 06:50
I have sex 3 times a day, awesome way to keep in shape.:}

or at least to build up your right biceps.....:E

gorgeous spotter
28th Aug 2006, 20:24
Irishrover, thoroughly recommend investing in a good treadmill that is motorised and will 'fold up' at the end of the day. We have one in the study and we have both lost nearly 2 stone each since January 06. We don't run on it, and no, we weren't fat b....:mad: ....stds before,:} but if you get into a routine and do say, 30 mins each day really fast sweat break-out walking about 4 times a week you will soon see a difference.:ooh: Also drink 2 litres of water a day and take a good fish oil supplement that will help to break down fat etc. You will be motivated to use it because a good one isn't cheap and you will want to use it to make it feel that its been worthwhile.:) Also its great when the sky is very black (often) and its pelting with rain outside (also often in the north).:E

Happy flying!

Gorgeous