PDA

View Full Version : Another USA Flight Training Thread

Portman
20th Jul 2006, 21:35
Dear All,

I have about 20 hours under my belt towards my PPL, this has built up over the last 3 years. I want to complete it in the states next Feb and have narrowed the flight schools down to 3. OBA, EFT and OFT, all in Florida. I would appreciate some recent opinions on these schools by people who have done their PPL there. Are there others that are better? Not worried about finding the cheapest. To make it a bit easier I plan to get most of the exams out of the way, so I can concentrate on the flying. I am wondering where in West London I can take my exams, apart from at a flying school? Was wondering whether there are any colleges that offer this? Has anyone gone down this route before? Finally can I take my FAA medical in the U.k? Already have my class 2 CAA medical, but understand that an FAA will be required as well.

Sorry if I am asking the same questions as others have, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Keygrip
20th Jul 2006, 23:21
Short answer - loads of places to do FAA medical in UK - you MAY find that whoever did your CAA CLass 2 can also issue an FAA Class 3.

Ring them up and ask - then ask if they'll issue based on the results of that last exam you had (might do!!) - if they say No to either, they will likely know a medica that can do your FAA test.

Don't plan to get most of the written exams out of the way......get ALL the writtens out of the way.

Also get the R/T practical and then USE that phraseology when you come Stateside - there are very, very, few phrases that will not work in USA airspace.....and whatever your American flight instructor tells you to say on the R/T - tell him to get stuffed - and do it the way you were taught.

Question - why the sudden rush to complete if you've spread 20 hours over three years? Why not just plod on (but quicker) in the UK?

Another question - why have you put a PPL question in the Professional Training forum?

Portman
21st Jul 2006, 20:15
Thanks Keygrip for your reply.

I'm happy for you to move this to another more relevant forum if you wish. I notice you are located in Florida - any views on other good schools to consider? The reason to go over to Florida is just that I can concentrate on obtaining the licence, and obviously the cost!

Thanks

p.s anyone know of places to take my exams?

speedbird676
22nd Jul 2006, 13:06
I'd consider getting the FAA license and then converting it when you get back. That way you have loads more schools to consider. Would be very little work for you since you've already got hours in the UK.

Try www.advantageaero.com (http://www.advantageaero.com). They are Pennsylvania so much more similar to the UK than any other place in the US. They are a smaller school than the most in Florida, but are absolutely first rate.

Henry Hallam
22nd Jul 2006, 16:22
Or not even bother to convert FAA->JAA when you get back. There's little you can do with a vanilla JAA PPL that you can't with an FAA PPC.

tangovictor
22nd Jul 2006, 18:04
has anyone ever counted the number of times this or a very similar question gets asked ?

Paris Dakar
22nd Jul 2006, 18:10
Portman,

As a great fan of flying in the US - I normally have no hesitation at all in advising people to go that route. However, since you are well on your way to obtaining your PPL - will you save/gain much by by chosing that path?

How about doing your remaining hours in the UK from a school that can offer you a mini-intensive course?

With the weather being pretty good at the moment you could achieve the hours you need in only a few weeks.

Just a thought...

PD

TheChiefPilot
22nd Jul 2006, 21:18
You can finish your PPL in the UK. The minimum hours are 45 for just the Day VFR privlidges.
Or you can attend a us flight school that is authorized to train for the JAA CAA licence. It would also be possible to do your remaining exams in the US, and if you want the FAA PPL computer exams and a check ride.
This would give you both CAA PPL & an FAA PPL.
Food for thought when your just starting out there are lots of ways you can achieve your goals.

Happy Flying

The Chief Pilot:)

speedbird676
23rd Jul 2006, 21:54
Personally I would have thought the reason for finishing a PPL in the states is obvious.

Portman needs about 30 hours now.

UK:

30 x £100 = £3000 (aircraft)
20 x £20 = £400 (instructor)
+ umpteen landings...

total: around £4000

USA:

30 x $70 = $2100
20 x $25 = $500
all landings free..

total: $2600 = approx £1300...