PDA

View Full Version : Cabin crew...Not such a nice and healthy job...?

cedricomacias
20th Jul 2006, 13:57
Hi everyone.
A few years ago I decided to try this job that looked nice from the outside but, after a while I realised that I was having health problems such as recurrent back pain, memory loss...etc
I'm already old enough and I would really appreciate if anyone can give me some informations about the risks of flying.
I heard for exemple that after 5 years of flying, you can't donate your organs anymore to help Science...What damage can happen to reach that point !?
GOSH !!!
I heard as well that calories of any kind of food eaten during a flight are multiplied by 2 !!! That would explain why I put on weight !!!
I know for sure that cabin environment is bad as it puts more pressure on your spin than on ground...etc...etc
Any good and serious information is welcome.
I want to write a report about that to inform people who decide to become flight attendant, definitely not a DREAM job !
Too much flying is not good !
CHEERS.

Dream Buster
20th Jul 2006, 14:09
Why not read the link below on Contaminated Air in Airliners - it maybe doesn't necessarilly affect everybody to the same extent but memory loss is a well known symptom from the Organo Phoshates which they put in the engine oil - to help the engines run longer!

:ugh:

captwannabe
20th Jul 2006, 14:24
The new B787 won't have the same problem with contaminated cabin air because the cabin air will not be bled from the engines, so it will be a healthier environment.

"calories of any kind of food eaten during a flight are multiplied by 2"
I'm not sure if I believe that one. I'd like to see scientific proof of that, because it's seems very unlikely.

If you decide to write a report, make sure you check all the facts thoroughly, referring to scientific evidence.

Most people, including myself, would not be put off pursuing a career in aviation for those reasons, because the desire to be airborn is so strong.

What aircraft did you work on board?

ausdoc
20th Jul 2006, 15:39
cedricomacias,

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but I would choose another source. Writing a report with authoritative quotes like "I heard" will just not cut it I'm afraid. I suggest you do some real research for yourself, rather than relying on anonymous posters from a rumour network as your academic sources. Many of the posters here are very knowledgable on matters of aviation medicine, many have opinions from a working point of view, and some will lead you up the garden path.

I'll reply to some of your assertions:

I heard for exemple that after 5 years of flying, you can't donate your organs anymore to help Science

Rubbish

I heard as well that calories of any kind of food eaten during a flight are multiplied by 2 !!! That would explain why I put on weight !!!

There are some laws of the universe which dispute this one rather well.

I know for sure that cabin environment is bad as it puts more pressure on your spin than on ground

I assume you mean spine. I do not understand how the cabin environment can increase the pressure on your spine. Perhaps aircraft manoeuvres and turbulence may in the short term.

All the best with your research,

Ausdoc