PDA

View Full Version : FAA medical class 1 - hearing problem

Tony77
20th Jul 2006, 08:55
Hello!
I am a new member, I would like to know some information about the possibility to get a FAA medical class 1 if a person is deaf in one hear only.

thank you

Tony

DHthe2nd
20th Jul 2006, 16:12
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234741

That relates to JAA but i would have thought it would be similar. Not sure though sorry.

Jimmy The Big Greek
20th Jul 2006, 20:24
It should be possible with a SODA.

cptcollins
20th Jul 2006, 20:44
What's a SODA?

2close
20th Jul 2006, 20:45
This should help.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/deaf_pilot/

After reading it, it would appear that the only restrictions are placed on totally deaf persons, and the FAA seems to pull out all the stops to allow deaf pilots to fly.

2close

747dreamliner
23rd Jul 2006, 06:07
Statement of Demonstrated Ability

cptcollins
30th Jul 2006, 07:15
So are you saying if you are out of limits for say your hearing, you can pass with a SODA i.e. demonstrate an ability to operate under cockpit conditions? Is that for definate or just an assumption?
I know you can do cockpit environment tests should you fail part of your medical but i thought that only applied to pilots with type ratings as your cockpit environement test is based on the aircraft you currently fly?

Any info helpful, especially about the SODA though

Cheers

Jimmy The Big Greek
30th Jul 2006, 11:55
Nope, you can do a SODA in a C-172. I am not sure if you can get a first class medical if you are completely deaf on one ear but there is a big chanse that you can. Best thing is to contact the FAA medical devision and ask about hearing and SODA. Maybe the can issue you a medical certificate with restrictions. For example, valid only for multi-crew operations or not valid for passenger operations (only freight), maybe they will allow you to only become a flight instructor etc. Best thing is to contact the FAA.

In my flightschool there was an ex Navy pilot that crashed in to a Carrier with an F-14 and he got spine injury that resulted in not being able to walk.
He bought himself a Cessna 402 and did some modification to it so he did not need to use the rudders with the feet. He did his SODA with his aircraft at our school. He received his medical and was able to start his own freight company.

The FAA are the most flexible and logical authourity in the world without comprimising safety.

2close
30th Jul 2006, 12:29
And don't forget, there is definitely one (and I do believe two) working commercial pilots in the UK who are wheelchair users. One is an ex-RAF Harrier pilot who flies a modified aircraft.

Check with the British Disabled Flying Association for further info.

http://www.bdfa.net/

HTH

2close

speedbird676
1st Aug 2006, 16:28
Does that apply for eyesight too? I have poor eyesight in one eye but perfect in the other and have never had a problem flying but I could only get an FAA class 3. Would it be possible for me to get a class 1 if I could demonstrate that I can safely fly with my vision as it is?