PDA

View Full Version : Highland Airways Sponsorship Scheme open!

Tui Hat Wearing Son
19th Jul 2006, 20:03
Hi there guys,

The cadet scheme is open for applications again.

It says the closing date is the 21st August.

http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/news/cadet.htm

Good news for all!

Well done Highland! :ok:

Mikebert4
19th Jul 2006, 21:41
Great news!

however (comma) it says you need a full PPL *cries* :ugh:

sounds like a good idea, you have to work in ops before you can qualify... I guess they want you to understand how the company operates..

good luck to all that apply!

silverknapper
20th Jul 2006, 08:58
however (comma) it says you need a full PPL *cries*

How selfish of them!!!

All old applications on file and as the ad states previously unsuccessful applicants not to apply.

SK

Bobs-Your-Uncle
20th Jul 2006, 09:12
Wouldn't let that stop you.

Just send them another.........

GusHoneybun
20th Jul 2006, 09:20
Wouldn't let that stop you.

Just send them another.........

Yes, and the inability to follow simple instructions will obviously do your application the world of good.

Bobs-Your-Uncle
20th Jul 2006, 09:40
if you don't try you don't get!!!

giving up at the first hurdle is not the sort of quality that these companies want.

also shows them that you really really really want to work for them.

msg to all cadets.... phone them, email them hassle them (nicely) and tell them you want to be part of it. Better still call in and say hello. After all they are only human like you and i.

what have you got to lose?

silverknapper
20th Jul 2006, 11:03
What absolute rubbish.

Lets see what have they got to lose - the job perhaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't listen to this drivel. The applications are still on file and will be reviewed. If you don't get the call then it is because you are unsuccessful again. Everything is cross referenced. There is a high workload in dealing with this scheme. If everyone applies twice then you will double the workload for a very small company and be very very unpopular. Ultimately Highland will just shut the scheme down and take on people with IR's.
In the current climate if Logan charging just for the type rating it is good to see someone prepared to sponsor people. Don't make them withdraw it.
You will only get one shot at this. Don't hassle or harrass - you have no right to and you won't get the job.

SinBin
20th Jul 2006, 12:24
If you haven't yet acheived a PPL but are nearly there, apply anyway, I know a few people who have, and they were asked for interview. If you're a good egg then I think you may have a chance, as long as you convince them you're nearly finished.

sk8erboi
20th Jul 2006, 13:01
Yeah great. Bet none of them got in though.
Some people seem to think the PPL is an inconvenience. If you haven't got the commitment to get it done in order to apply why shouldn't they give it to someone who has. What's wrong with applying once only with the prerequisite qualifications. If you don't, wait till next time. This thread should be re named 'How to annoy Highland Airways and make sure you don't get in'.

silverknapper
20th Jul 2006, 13:25
Nicely put. All the best when the time comes!

SinBin
21st Jul 2006, 09:46
one was actually successful, and who's annoying who? Do you work for the Atlantic group?

silverknapper
21st Jul 2006, 11:11
Sinbin

Get off your high horse. Highland haven't employed anyone who didn't have a PPL at interview. Fact. Indeed the last person was far more qualified than just a basic PPL.

SinBin
21st Jul 2006, 12:13
Silverknapper, I'm not on any high horse, where did you get that idea from? I really don't care about this airline nor about sponsorship, I was just letting people know what friends of mine have achieved. It's like a lot of jobs, where you don't quite meet the requirements, apply anyway, you never know where it might get, if I'd stuck to minimum requirements all my working life, do you think I'd be where I am now (highly paid management job)!! I'm not getting into any pointless rows here, let's all be friends and strive to fly planes for a living, yes?

Pilotdom
21st Jul 2006, 19:42
Anyway aside from all the arguing thats going on,what is the pay like at highland anybody give advice what sort of company its like to work for? what there main line of work is and what are the bases like?

Many Thanks
Dom

femaleWannabe
21st Jul 2006, 21:02
http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=12xbw9y86jah08ha7h71jywt7wh4chp1672s6np1wp2m j6jh7f4

FO base seems to be £20k... not sure if thats what you get after the sponsorship or if thats direct entry, but it gives an idea.

alpacapoo
21st Jul 2006, 21:48
salary as a cadet is £300 a month whilst training and doing the Macfugly thing.

money goes upto 90% of any salary when 'on line' with a 10% bonus of all earned salary at the end of contract.

contract is 5 years on line with a £75K bond reducing each month.

18 months maximum as a MacFugly which includes all training before the 5 years start.

No sick pay, no days off (thats right! 7 days a week) and the general MacFugly things to keep you occupied.

Flying is encouraged whenever possible with the flying school next door.

Long live the MacFugly scheme! :D :ok:

Poo

elevengflyer
22nd Jul 2006, 09:45
£75K bond - what a bargain!
I wonder why this airline feels the need to even run a cadet scheme, which according to their website 'produces a frozen ATPL within aproximately two years'.
Why put people through a two year scheme when there are plenty of FATPL holders from 'quality' flying schools (I am one too!) without jobs and virtually willing to sell their sould for a flying job?
Please don't tell me it's to do with 'wanting to train them in the ways the company works', or 'moulding them' as that is all waffle dreamt up by somebody in HR who probably doesn't know their airside pass from their air speed indicator.
What's working in ops got to do with flying the aircraft anyway? sounds like a way of employing somebody within the company when they're not sure that there will be a flying job for them at the end of the course.

silverknapper
22nd Jul 2006, 15:22
no days off (thats right! 7 days a week)
Technically true but in reality they get one day off a week.

11g you sound like a bitter person. The scheme is modelled on the Atlantique one which has run very well for many many years, when other airlines were sponsoring too. I agree that at first glance it doesn't make much sense. But the amount of ex fuglies still at atlantic show that it does create people in the company mould. All of whom are very knowledgable in all aspects of the operation and are very aware of the bigger picture, and all of whom have progressed to the left seat at a young age but with a great deal of maturity. The company gets someone for 5 years rather than someone who is looking for a jet job the minute they join. And if they do leave early the company has them bonded to a high level so it doesn't lose out.
By the time a 200hr guy serves his/her 3 year bond they are ready for command just when they are looking to leave. FO's are ten a penny. It is skippers that all TP outfits are struggling to retain.

somebody in HR who probably doesn't know their airside pass from their air speed indicator
Actually by the MD who has more hours already in more types than most of us will ever achieve.

elevengflyer
22nd Jul 2006, 15:49
Silver..
Sorry if I sound bitter, that is not my intention. I just don't see that it makes economic sense in the current climate of 'self sponsorship' etc. Why spend 2 years 'moulding' somebody - I know from experince in large companies it does not take 2 years to do this, you offer a good working environment and adequate rewards and people soon fit in to the corporate ideals. If you offer this environment people tend to want to stay, rather than 'punishing them' to the tune of thousands of pounds for daring to leave.
As for the idea coming from the MD with vast amount of flying experience, I cannot say whether that is the case and I take my hat off and bough to his flying skills etc, but in an industry where we are always told an airline might decide on Friday that it needs 10 pilots on Monday I cannot see how a 2 year plan fits in when those pilots are already out there and more than eager to be 'moulded' for fair reward.

Computer says NO!
22nd Jul 2006, 15:52
Actually by the MD who has more hours already in more types than most of us will ever achieve.

wait a minute, is that the MD who was sacked by atlantic a couple of months ago, but has since made a return as something else??:sad:

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Jul 2006, 20:30
CSN I wouldn't even open that can of worms if I was you. Cockpit drones like ourselves are unlikely ever to know the full story of whatever the boardroom shenanigans were that went on a few weeks ago. Besides, me and silverknapper are the two most well connected gossips in Highland and we'd know before anyone else :rolleyes:

What is undoubtedly true though, is
1) that Alan is now back in charge, and everyone is very happy about the fact, and
2) that undoubtedly the single greatest reason for the company's continued survival and success over the last couple of decades, has been his steady steering of the ship and the huge loyalty and respect he engenders from all his staff. Like all companies it has its share of personality clashes, but everyone looks to Alan for leadership and he delivers. AND he's a fantastically good pilot and instructor, who mucks into the hard physical work as well. There aren't that many airlines where you can say that about the management pilots.

Whoever gets the sponsorship this time - just like last time - is getting themselves into a great job with a great little company, who are undoubtedly going to work you like a dog for a number of years and get every penny of their money's worth out of the investment they make in you, as is their right. The payback for you guys is that the experience you'll gain in your flying career with Highland, is stuff that just can't be bought elsewhere for any money.

I have to echo silverknapper in dissuading people who don't meet the minimum requirements from applying, because you are wasting your own and the management's time and will only get yourself ignored from future intakes. Getting a PPL really isn't that much to ask, what it really shows that you at least have the initiative to take the first tiny little step down the very long and arduous road of pilot qualification. Or in other words, it cuts out most of the daydreamers from the half-serious ones. As such I'm sure they'll be sticking to those minimums.

Best of luck everyone.

navoff
22nd Jul 2006, 21:12
Couldn't agree with Luke more! An excellent small company to work for!

Navoff

silverknapper
23rd Jul 2006, 09:01
Well put Luke, couldn't agree more.

CSN you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

but in an industry where we are always told an airline might decide on Friday that it needs 10 pilots on Monday I cannot see how a 2 year plan fits in

You sound as though you are criticising Highland for a bit of forward planning. Everyone moans that the industry isn't proactive enough in it's forward planning. Now that one is you are criticising it.:confused:

I know from experince in large companies it does not take 2 years to do this, you offer a good working environment and adequate rewards and people soon fit in to the corporate ideals. If you offer this environment people tend to want to stay, rather than 'punishing them' to the tune of thousands of pounds for daring to leave.

Highland do offer excellent Ts & Cs and everyone there is exceptionally happy. Your so called experience obviously doesn't stretch to airlines where people do move on in order to further their careers on bigger stuff. There are a few notable and honourable exceptions who enjoy the regional TP lifestyle too much to leave. But then I get the impression you would moan if no one moved on from a TP outfit thus creating fluidity in the job market.

Computer says NO!
23rd Jul 2006, 10:03
CSN you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

You sound as though you are criticising Highland for a bit of forward planning. Everyone moans that the industry isn't proactive enough in it's forward planning. Now that one is you are criticising it.:confused:

Highland do offer excellent Ts & Cs and everyone there is exceptionally happy. Your so called experience obviously doesn't stretch to airlines where people do move on in order to further their careers on bigger stuff. There are a few notable and honourable exceptions who enjoy the regional TP lifestyle too much to leave. But then I get the impression you would moan if no one moved on from a TP outfit thus creating fluidity in the job market.

Silver, late night last night was it?? :}
I think you will find that it was 11g that posted the above quotes and not me.

And just for the record, I have every idea about what Im talking about!!:ok:

elevengflyer
24th Jul 2006, 13:31

Highland do offer excellent Ts & Cs and everyone there is exceptionally happy.
Forward planning is great, but why not utilise the 'available' resources - oh yes that comes back to the 'moulding' argument.
As for excellent T's and C's If you think a £75K bond is a good contract term then I can only suggest you have been well and truly 'moulded'.
As for knowledge of the airline industry, you are right, my experience was within another sector of industry, but just because the airlines are the odd one out does not make it correct!
If people do move onwards that is fine, there is no need to try and beat them with a £75K stick - there's plenty of competent people willing to take their place. I could give you the economic argument as to why they don't need to bond to this extent, but I think you would probably (a) be very bored, (b) disagree!

madlandrover
24th Jul 2006, 18:11
11g: true, the Atlantic/Highland profile wouldn't necessarily work for the vast majority of airlines, but it works extremely well for both Atlantic and Highland - partly because they know exactly what they're getting from the beginning, so (for example purely, I don't by any means know every individual case!) they do not need command assessments since ex-fuglies have already done several years "assessment" coping with varied conditions and treatment. AFAIConcerned, the fugly scheme is the best around for those of us who think there's more to aviation than big passenger jets. Even for those who are focused on jet time, it still produces a very good training experience and can't hurt at interviews later on. And no, I have no connection with them at all - didn't get on the fugly scheme thanks to messing up the sim test, so have no requirement to be nice about them (or about a certain Shed crew, but that's another story...).

PPL152
26th Jul 2006, 07:15
I think, knowing the probability of wannabes getting a "free" CPL/IR is quite rare, this Highland Airways scheme is good news for those holding a PPL(A).

I have a PPL(A) but I don't have a driving licence yet and neither a Class One Medical... but I'm still going t apply (when I receive a reply from the HR mngr)

However, after reading the forums... are you saying that after taking this scheme, the chances of progressing to big jets is much less than if you just go, say to FTE or OAT and do the CPL/IR yourself?

Another question, is this scheme for UK/EI residents only?

Thanks!

elevengflyer
26th Jul 2006, 09:20
I think, knowing the probability of wannabes getting a "free" CPL/IR is quite rare, this Highland Airways scheme is good news for those holding a PPL(A).
However, after reading the forums... are you saying that after taking this scheme, the chances of progressing to big jets is much less than if you just go, say to FTE or OAT and do the CPL/IR yourself?

Another question, is this scheme for UK/EI residents only?
Thanks!
PPL152 there is no such thing in life as a free lunch and neither is there likely to be a 'free' CPL/IR. The minimum commitment is 7 years according to the website, so you need to consider your pay and conditions over that period vs going another route and if you leave early you get beaten with the financial stick referred to in previous posts. It is however dependant upon what you want to achieve - so ask yourself what you want to be doing in 5 years and what choices you want to have available.
The website says that you need the right to live and work in the EU. I assume this means you must have European Citizenship, or be able to obtain the right, but I'll let the airline's HR confirm that (good luck getting an answer from an airline HR dept).

PPL152
26th Jul 2006, 18:10
Would they still accept my application if I do not hold a driving licence?

Thanks

PPL152
27th Jul 2006, 09:25
Yep I totally agree with you, however I expect to get the driving licence by October... so...

Luke SkyToddler
27th Jul 2006, 23:36
Well first of all at the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, should you get called for initial interview DON'T be too keen to point out the fact that your long term aspirations lie with BA as opposed to spending your life in the Highlands. Yes you know it and they know you know it, but they don't appreciate being told it to their faces if you get my drift!

Just to set your mind at rest, Highland pilots have no trouble moving on when the time comes, mainly because once you've spent several winters with the company and operating in that rather harsh Hebridean environment, then you can't help but know your basic sh!t when it comes to flying. The chief pilot of Highland, Linton Chilcott, and the woman in charge of training standards for the Atlantic group as a whole, Kath Burnham, are two of the most formidable and highly talented pilots you could ever hope to meet, who in my mind leave no stone unturned when it comes to training standards. In my case, I am the most recent leaver from Highland just a few weeks ago, (since pretty much the whole company knows who I am anyway, I don't mind admitting it)! I spent a couple of years in the left seat of the Jetstream before I decided it was time to check out the job market earlier this year, and within a couple of weeks of sending out some CVs I got called for interview pretty much simultaneously with Cathay Pacific, Easyjet, Air China, Air Mauritius, Netjets, and a direct entry command on a privately operated Citation Excel. That's not a bad haul by anyone's standards if you're worried about employability. And no I'm not going to tell you which job I took!

However it's really the least thing that a PPL holder should be worrying about. If you end up getting the sponsorship then you are one of the luckiest human beings on earth, and what you should be focusing on is doing a good job, getting those hours, progressing through the ranks at Highland and enjoying every minute of your time first and foremost. I love Inverness and the lifestyle around that area, it's the UK's last great undiscovered secret for sure, I am going to miss it greatly.

alpacapoo
28th Jul 2006, 19:12
I have flown in the area for a bit and know that it can be both challenging and amazing.

.......and when on the cadet scheme......FREE!!!!

(provided your blood sweat and tears don't cost you!)

silverknapper
30th Jul 2006, 11:51
Can only agree whole heartedly with Luke. Highland pilots have all moved on to pretty damn good jobs and with great success. I was talking to someone last week about some advanced handling course somewhere which they have to pass to get their job in a jet. They were worried about having to hand fly a few raw data procedures. Given that's what Highland do on a daily basis you can see why their drivers have no problem moving on. Add the fact that we get a lot of positioning sectors which with the trainers can be turned into practice engine failures etc and you get one well rounded individual.
11g
As for excellent T's and C's If you think a £75K bond is a good contract term then I can only suggest you have been well and truly 'moulded'
You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this. I'm curious to know what you think is a suitable bond for the following:
Accomodation whilst training plus £300/month training allowance.
100 hours SEP hour building
ATPL Groundschool
Night rating
IMC rating
Multi rating
CPL
Instrument rating
F406 Type rating
J31/32 Type rating
ATR42/72 Type rating
Command training as required.
I personally can't be bothered adding it up - it's a cracking day in INV and the beach is calling. Also once on line one of the best salaries in the sector. Companies can't give this away for free. The very nature of this business is that most people want to move up to something shinier and bigger. If the lucky person does this within 5 years of being on line he/she will pay a proportion of the massive amount Highland invested in them. What's wrong with that?

152 If you don't have a licence by interview then don't bother mate. Fuglies do a bit of driving about. The next guy will have one so why take the chance? You may fail and where does that leave you?

PPL152
30th Jul 2006, 14:28
SILVERKNAPPER... are you saying that I'd rather not apply? Didn't quite understand your argument..:bored:

Alby Mangel
31st Jul 2006, 10:20
Hi Silverknapper,

would be interesting to see the figures but perhaps not too transparent to achieve in detail.

I reckon accom, food, allowance and all the training to boot would be around 50 to 60 thousand so 75 perhaps a bit steep, however i am guessing.

A great opportunity for a fresh PPL to get a guaranteed job, some fantastic experience and living in that part of the world would take a bit of beating.

Get applying folks and enjoy the experience if lucky enough to be accepted.

PPL152
31st Jul 2006, 10:26
152 If you don't have a licence by interview then don't bother mate. Fuglies do a bit of driving about. The next guy will have one so why take the chance? You may fail and where does that leave you?

What do you mean?

PPL152
31st Jul 2006, 12:01
I have contacted them and assured me that if I manage to get the driving licence by October, I will be recognised...

Best of luck

alpacapoo
31st Jul 2006, 12:10
What do you mean?

PPL152,
Is there really no way of you getting your driving licence quicker? It's not like it’s a very difficult thing to obtain. The closing date is the 21st August so I’m sure you could pass your test by then. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until next time. The requirements are written as equals and so you will have to assume that each requirement is as essential as the next.

Alby Mangel
I have seen the contract and it lists all the costs of the cadets training with a price next to each course, with a sum total at the bottom of the page. It includes more courses than silvernapper explains; FI rating is one I can think of off the top of my head. From where I was standing it is certainly a big number but a fair contract.

Finally, I'd much rather a 75K bond and being paid with a guaranteed job flying a public transport type around some very demanding areas, Than owing the bank manager up to a similar amount (I have friends who are on integrated courses, owing that to the bank!) with no job! But hey! Maybe it’s a sellers market. I'll let you take that risk.

Just read your post ppl152, good on yer,best of luck.

PPL152
31st Jul 2006, 13:07
Thanks dude... I do not live in Scotland.. hope that won't hinder my application as well!!

Jakey-wakey
31st Jul 2006, 15:59
Greetings All,

A bit off topic (well, I'm not going to join the 'Is it a good scheme or not?' debate!...)

Just wondered if anyone who has previously been for the Highland selection day/days could shed some light on what to expect if we're lucky enough to be invited!

One more thing, there is no mention of acedemic qualiications on the 'Requirements' list... Does that mean that people with A-Levels other that Maths and Physics stand a good chance of getting selected?

Thanks for your help!

Jake

elevengflyer
31st Jul 2006, 17:38
Finally, I'd much rather a 75K bond and being paid with a guaranteed job
The only job that is GUARANTEED is the one in ops, which won't do a great deal to further your competence as a pilot, despite all the rubbish that is spouted about learning the company methods.

Silverknapper.. yes I do have a bee in my bonnet about this one and I refer you to my previous point it is economically unnecessary to bond people to this extent and this is the only industry in the private sector that do it! take on some risk management strategy, look at the global picture and offer people t&c's that make them want to stay! Even the people on this forum ask the question of 'what is life like after the period in Highland', they DONT want to view it as a long term thing they just want to fly 320's or 737's. Please give me a good reason why sponsorship is better than taking on an experienced or good OAT graduate or ex-military pilot? Wher's the economic sense?

Tui Hat Wearing Son
31st Jul 2006, 18:04
elevengflyer, indeed you are right about jobs being guaranteed.

In all sincerity 11g you just don't seem to get it, some don't. Yes you've spent all your money and your wife is shouting at you and you can't get a job, and the logic of economics that you used to justify spending all your money to yourself and your wife is not working because of schemes like this and we all feel very sorry for you. If you go to Coventry and see the scheme working, as it has done for years, you'll realise that there is more to these cadetships (and pilot recruitment in general) than an economic equation......as far as I’m concerned I’m finished with 11g.

Jakey-wakey - Now the proper-stuff.

Jake. The selection last time was in two stages.

Stage one - Group interview, go round the table tell everyone about yourself kind of thing. Then you'll sit the McQuaig Psychological and Aptitude tests.

Stage two - If you pass stage one you'll be invited back for an interview with the MD and HR manager (or similar). The interview will be a general answers and questions session, trying to probe your knowledge of aviation etc etc.

Pm for anymore jake

scruggs
31st Jul 2006, 18:22
On a separate note. With the new age discrimination laws coming into play, does this mean Air Atlantique and Highland Airways will no longer be able to impose such age restrictions?

go_solo
31st Jul 2006, 22:01
Yes Easypilot, technically the legislation that comes into force on the 1st October will prohibit employers from directly or indirectly discriminating against candidates because of their age so we may see a removal or amendment of age limits.

However unlike other discrimination legislation, the Employment Equality (Age) Regulation 2006 will allow an employer to directly discriminate against someone due to their age, if they can objectively justify that treatment. i.e. give a reason why the discrimination is required - for example, in sex discrimination you may find a bra fitter would require to be female....if that was your back up plan on failing your IR then sorry lads! :E

In age discrimination, the employer could argue that they are treating someone less favourably because of the demands of training will require a young and agile mind (rubbish I know!!), however that’s how the RAF have previously justified an upper age of 23.5yrs (Or it was last time I looked). Case law will ultimately define how strictly tribunals will treat this, but it should keep me in business until I get my ATPL! :ok:

The other thing to take into account is that even with legislation in place, discrimination takes place and is very hard to prove. Try to prove that the employer picks person A over B because A was a bloke and not because of one of the many other legitimate competencies or skills’ required.

Oh, and as an HR person who's had to fish through hundreds of CV's....you get 10 to 15 seconds to impress and if you aint got the minimum requirements then bye bye.....its just another round of recruitment to them and they will have many more CV's than time and a hundred other things to do!

However that said, good luck to all!

PPL152
1st Aug 2006, 07:58
I don't have a driving licence, and neither a Class One Medical, so I decided not to apply, and just wait for their next scheme.

scroggs
1st Aug 2006, 09:50
In age discrimination, the employer could argue that they are treating someone less favourably because of the demands of training will require a young and agile mind (rubbish I know!!), however that’s how the RAF have previously justified an upper age of 23.5yrs (Or it was last time I looked). Case law will ultimately define how strictly tribunals will treat this, but it should keep me in business until I get my ATPL!

Unfortunately, it's not rubbish. There are several very good and highly credible studies that show how the mind becomes less agile over time, and how age diminishes the ability to acquire and assimilate new skills. It doesn't matter how many anecdotes you accumulate of mates and acquaintances that claim to be as sharp at 90 as they were at 20, science (and thus the legal people) says otherwise. Whether the demands of non-military flying training are sufficient to justify the concerns over age is another, and eminently legally arguable, matter. In my opinion (which is perhaps pretty worthless in this context), they are not - until you get to the commercial tyoe-rating stage, when the demands and pressures ramp up considerably. Is that sufficient grounds to discriminate? It is until a test case is held!

The other thing to take into account is that even with legislation in place, discrimination takes place and is very hard to prove. Try to prove that the employer picks person A over B because A was a bloke and not because of one of the many other legitimate competencies or skills’ required.

Absolutely. It can be proven over time - no pilot employees accepted over the age of 30 over a 5-year period, say - but is very difficult to demonstrate in an individual case.

Scroggs

JimNich
1st Aug 2006, 11:02
It would be strange, wouldn't it, if a study that set out to prove that an older mind is less agile and less capable of aquiring and assimilating new skills found otherwise. As an instuctor in four separate disciplines I agree there is an element of truth in it of course. However, "less agile" and "less capable" is a crass over simplification to encompass the highly complex process of the maturing brain. All it really does is unnecessarily prejudice recruiters against older candidates

If these "studies" had any "credibility" at all they would go on to mention the effect of life experience etcetera and the more considered (if slower) processes that result.

I'm sorry, I just won't lie down and be told to accept I have less to offer because I'm older. Being old sucks enough without having some expert telling you you're stoopid too.:p

wbryce
1st Aug 2006, 11:16
If one has was unsuccessful at Air Atlantiques scheme, can one apply for this one?

silverknapper
1st Aug 2006, 12:38
11g
Your bitterness is getting boring. The scheme has operated successfully for years. Full stop. No amount of reasons will convince you otherwise - I guess you just don't want to be convinced.
For those applying good luck - it is an awesome opportunity. Don't let :mad: like this guy put you off.

SK

elevengflyer
4th Aug 2006, 09:02
11g
Your bitterness is getting boring. The scheme has operated successfully for years. Full stop. No amount of reasons will convince you otherwise - I guess you just don't want to be convinced.
For those applying good luck - it is an awesome opportunity. Don't let :mad: like this guy put you off.

SK
SK for the record it has nothing to do with bitterness. I have never applied to work at Highland and never will (not beceause I have anything against them, it's just not for me). I've paid my money and made my own choices. My point was to do with the economics involved for an organisation such as this to do a cadet scheme. The secondary point is that there is a lot of talent around that goes unused and becomes stale (perhaps even bitter!)
It's nothing to do with putting anybody off - We are all pilots and we would all do whatever we can fund our dream and hopefully get the most of the investment we put in - the airlines know this and that is why they dare to ask us to stump up money to get a job.
If you think I'm trying to discourage anybody from applying you have mis-interpreted my message. Like anything in this business though, people need to make a carefull choice based on what's right for them.

Groundloop
4th Aug 2006, 10:55
If you think I'm trying to discourage anybody from applying you have mis-interpreted my message.

"The only job that is GUARANTEED is the one in ops, which won't do a great deal to further your competence as a pilot, despite all the rubbish that is spouted about learning the company methods."

"As for excellent T's and C's If you think a £75K bond is a good contract term then I can only suggest you have been well and truly 'moulded'."

"£75K bond - what a bargain!
I wonder why this airline feels the need to even run a cadet scheme, which according to their website 'produces a frozen ATPL within aproximately two years'.
Why put people through a two year scheme when there are plenty of FATPL holders from 'quality' flying schools (I am one too!) without jobs and virtually willing to sell their sould for a flying job?"

Well, pardon me for also misinterpreting your message!

elevengflyer
4th Aug 2006, 14:02
Groundloop. I am not trying to discourage anyone from applying to HIGHLAND.
I do believe the only guaranteed job is the one in ops, HOWEVER - there are ALMOST NO guaranteed jobs in the aviation industry, so if you fit the bill apply!
I do NOT believe £75K bond is a good contract term, in fact compared with other industries it is awful, HOWEVER - if you finance your own study and fATPL you will also be out of pocket for tens of thousands of pounds, so once again if the scheme is for you apply!
I do not see that a cadet scheme is necessary for this partcular OPERATOR, HOWEVER I do comend them for at least trying to do something different, albeit my argument was one of economics, so if you feel a cadet scheme with Highland is for you apply!
SO wherever you go in aviation the first few years you will be caught between a rock and a hard place.
I hope this clarifies!

wordyuk
5th Aug 2006, 01:01
Having just passed the final interview for the Air Atlantique scholarship I will be starting as a cadet in Coventry on the 25th of September. I presume the Highland selection will be almost identical to the one iv just been through so if anybody would like to know a little bit more of what is involved and more importantly, what type of people they are looking for then don't hesitate to contact me.

I still dont see where 11g is coming from. Yes the bond is substantial however id rather be bonded to a company who is paying me to fly than have a huge debt around my neck and looking for my first job within the airlines.

True, after gaining my fATPL im not GAURENTEED the job however having spoke in depth to the current pilots it is VERY rare that a cadet is not given a job with Atlantic Air Reconnaissance upon gaining the fATPL. The youngest Captain with Air Atlantique is 23, I presume Highland will have Captains around that same age also.

If I hadn't have been offored the sponsorship, I would almost certainly have self funded my training at FTE (infact i still have my aptitude testing booked with FTE for the 21st August). I know that I am very grateful to have been offored the chance with Atlantique. I know ile enjoy not having to pay back a £60K+loan and being one of many low hours fATPL pilots looking for my first job.I will enjoy however having my license and type ratings paid for and know I have a job flying aircraft for as long as I want it!

GusHoneybun
5th Aug 2006, 18:12
there truly is some gash being spouted on here. :ugh:

it's highland's train set and quite frankly they can recruit who they like. if that means they only want to employ polynesian pygmy's named rupert then good for them, i mean, who is going to stop them. i very much doubt that anonymous spoutings on an internet forum is going to change that.

the reason they want cadets is simply because they have a hard time holding onto pilots. once the bond expires, they are quick as the proverbial rat off to fly shiny jets. this leaves a vacent left hand seat that a) someone has to be trained to fill (expense) and b) they need a new FO who needs to be recruited, type rated and trained (even more expense). this all takes time and money. so recruiting a cadet who won't run off after 3 years works out cheaper in the long run. also saves mucho time and effort for the training staff. you only need to look at the present flight crew and find that those who have been with the company for longer than 2 years are all, yup you guessed it, atlantique fuglies sent up to inverness. a good case for a cadet scheme if ever there was one.

and so what if the bond is 75 grand. as SK said, just look at the amount of training your bond is giving you, and it is all paid for. and with people willing to pay 75 grand or so to oxford (once you take into account food, accomodation, etc, etc) where is the comparison. the cadet will eventually leave highland the right side of thirty, somewhere knocking of 5000 hours with mulitple types on their licence. they will have no debts and have the luxury of earning around 40 grand a year once they become a skipper. suddenly the frozen tundra looks a lot more appealing methinks.

elevengflyer
6th Aug 2006, 18:53
there truly is some gash being spouted on here. :ugh:

1-it's highland's train set and quite frankly they can recruit who they like.

2-the reason they want cadets is simply because they have a hard time holding onto pilots.

3-and so what if the bond is 75 grand.

1- too true! doesn't make it good business sense though does it?

2- Why is it they have trouble holding on to pilot's if they are so good to work for?

3- you obviously don't think 75K is a big deal - try getting a doctor, lawyer or dentist to stump up a bond like this - I can tell you their response, it ends in 'off'.

wordyuk
6th Aug 2006, 19:35
75K is a big deal, course it is. However, id rather be WORKING for an airline (more then likely as a pilot) and the BOND getting smaller and smaller every month, whilst still being paid to fly than having to repay a DEBT that the bank has loaned me to do an integrated course. The wages (after the 1st 2 years) Highland and Atlantique offer are very respectable.

I just dont understand 11g's logic. I was going to go the integrated route myself and take out the huge bank loan which would not have been paid off for many years (and more importantly, still having to look for my first job as a low hours pilot upon completion).But now I will have the training paid for and, all being well, thousands of hours, P1 and multi crew, and numerous type ratings under my belt when the contract is up!

GusHoneybun
6th Aug 2006, 20:00
It does make good business sense as it is cheaper to employ and train one fugly for seven years rather than recruiting and training the 3 fo's and captains needed over the same period.
Staff retention, simply put, comes down to money. Highland can't compete with Easyjet salaries and as such Pilots leave for better terms and conditions. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the company is. And this is true for Eastern, Logie, AerArran, AirSouthwest or any TP operator. All have the same problem with staff retention. These are companies you work for at the start or end of your career.
Please understand, it is a bond, not a loan. Cost to the cadet is zero pounds and zero pence. I still fail to see why you are so anti this scheme. You are expected to stump up nothing, nada, zip, naff all, sweet fanny adams if you please. And if you think the timescale of seven years is excessive.

Consider Bloke A)
Fresh PPL, 50 hours and a class 1 medical. Date : 01 Sept 2006
Naffs off the the states to hour build. Takes a few months and costs £9000 by the time you take into account food, accomodation and flights. Finished 01 Jan 2007
Starts ATPL Groundschool which takes the best part of a year (say 10 months) and costs £3000. Finished assuming no retakes 01 Nov 2007
Enrolls on a CPL course, probably waiting a month for a training slot, takes about a month to complete if the weather is good. Costs about £5500 in the UK. Finished 01 Feb 2008
A quick ME course and straight into the IR. Not much change out of £15000 and takes two - three months to complete. Finished 01 May 2008. CAA fees to this point is around about £2000.
Of course our cadet the spends two - three months firing out CV's to all airlines like, say for sake of example, Highland before he realises that he needs to start building up some experience first. Enrols on an FI course on 01 August 2008.
Completes the FI course in a couple of months at the cost of £6000 and gets his rating issued 01 October 2008. And that doesn't include basic living expenses, which probably costs around £150 a week or so, lets call it about £14000 for the two years whilst paying for his own training. So total cost to train yourself up to this level is well over £50000
Works his proverbial arse off for a year and racks up 1000 hours and gets an interview at Highland on 01 November 2009. Our chap impresses the Chief Pilot and gets offered a job, type rating to start on the 01 Jan 2010. Takes a month to complete and once he passes the LST, he is bonded for three years until 01 March 2013. At a cost of say, £12000 on the Jetstream.
Our chap does remarkable well and after a year is offered the ATR (should have them by then) and the f406. Bond of £20000 for the both and as the company are so nice, it's only for two years.
So, his bond is up and he is offski to easyjet 6 years and 6 months after starting his hour building, at a personal cost probably well over £50000 and having being worked off £32000 of his bond.

Or Bloke B)
Joins Highland as a cadet on 01 Sept 2006. Bonded for £75000. Gets all his training paid for. Earns money (however little to begin with) whilst hour building and commercial training. Gets the ATR, J31 and F406 rating. Also given the FI rating as well.
After seven years his bond expires and he is offski to easyjet on the 01 Sept 2013 a staggering 6 months after bloke A. Cost to said cadet, zero!
And if this cadet had the £50000 prior to joining Highland to pay for their own training and puts this in a highish interest account for seven years will earn over 20000 in interest alone.

Now, can someone please point out why this is such an evil scheme cos I really must be missing the point

silverknapper
6th Aug 2006, 20:22
Gus

A well put thread, but I wouldn't waste my time with this guy. Probably been knocked back despite what he says so has it in for HA.
11g
Why is it they have trouble holding on to pilot's if they are so good to work for?

You have no idea what you're talking about. You could pay a J31 skipper the same as a A319 one. Other than the odd exception who loves the Highland lifestyle they would still move to the bigger shinier machine. In this career it isn't just down to money. Everyone strives to fly the newest, shiniest metal.
doctor, lawyer or dentist to stump up a bond like this
Again your dire lack of knowledge or research shines through!!!!!:D No one stumps up anything. Not a penny.
As you keep harping on about keeping staff you may find it useful to note that the boss is ex Cathay and Virgin 747. He loves it up here so much he came to us.

MercenaryAli
6th Aug 2006, 21:26
And if the MD is still the same chap, Captain Roy Suckling - he is not only a very nice person BUT also a very good pilot, instructor and examiner. One of those rare airlines where somebody in management actually knows what a pilot needs to know and do :)

Luke SkyToddler
6th Aug 2006, 23:13
Mercenary :
You are confusing your companies there mate, Roy Suckling has nothing to do with Highland. Alan Mossman is the boss at Highland. Roy is the MD of Scotairways which is an entirely different company (operates Dornier 328s out of DND, EDI and SOU).

geordiejet
7th Aug 2006, 18:47
Hey,

I went through the first Highland cadet recruitment, and got down to the final 8 I beleive. Seems a really good setup. And everyone is really friendly up there. The company has grown a lot over the past few years, but it sill has the "small + friendly" vibe going on. I'd encourage you all do apply!

I also got a phonecall a few weeks back, offering me an interview for an ops. role. Which, I'd love to have taken, but with saving every penny I've got to fund my own fATPL, I had to say no. As for the bond, I think it's a small price to pay for what you get! :-)

Alex

alpacapoo
17th Aug 2006, 22:51
The closing date is this Monday (the 21st Aug).

How is everybody getting on with thier applications?

Hope all is going well for you folks out there

poo

ZuluWhiskey
5th Sep 2006, 22:30
Hey guys,
It's been 2 weeks since the deadline, so just wondering if anyone out there has heard back from Highland yet regarding interviews for this scheme?
ZW

camflyer
5th Sep 2006, 22:41
Hi ZuluWhisky,

I have not heard anything from them yet? Anybody else heard anything??? :rolleyes:

Camflyer

Roo984
6th Sep 2006, 09:32
Hey all,

I've not had anything back either but heard that Sarah Lister was on holiday for a fortnight.

Row

Will88
7th Sep 2006, 14:34
I got the good news today :ok:

Group interviews on the 25th apparently :)

Cirrus_Clouds
7th Sep 2006, 20:52
I will be joining you on the 25th also! :)

Roo984
8th Sep 2006, 13:53
Got an interview too. Woo hoo! See you on the 25th. :ok:

Falz
9th Sep 2006, 07:40
I'm getting back to the UK on the 22nd and I'll see you there on the 25th.

ZuluWhiskey
9th Sep 2006, 09:22
Get in! :ok: See ya on the 25th...
ZW

camflyer
10th Sep 2006, 19:54
I will also be joining you on the 25th see you all there :)

Cheers Camflyer

Ronaldsway Radar
10th Sep 2006, 21:21
Congratulations to all those who are going for the initial interview on the 25th - good luck guys and gals!

Quick question to anyone who has been through a scheme like this before, or similar circumstances;

Understanding they provide the accommodation whilst in the training, but afterwards, i'm guessing the cadet would have to find and pay for accommodation whilst paying off the bond, yes?

If that's correct, what would be the average monthly income the cadet would be on, and would it be simple enough to find a nice cheap place to rent for however long? :)

Cheers,
RR.

Tui Hat Wearing Son
11th Sep 2006, 17:32
RR,

Your poor mind has obviously been hideously polluted by these ridiculous 'Cabair' and 'Oxford' schemes.

YOU DON'T PAY Highland a penny.

You owe them nothing but blood, sweat and tears.

Once you are 'on-line' you will earn 90% salary compared to a normal on-line pilot. That’s it! Last time I checked there are plenty of people managing to live on a lot less than 90% of what a FO at Highland earns.

You sound confused RR, i hope it is a bit clearer now. I can't stand to see this mixed up with cabair or oxford :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Ronaldsway Radar
13th Sep 2006, 12:51
Cheers TH...

I did pick up on that fact :} however decided to phrase my post slightly incorrectly..!

RR..

Boingy
14th Sep 2006, 18:16
Well good luck to those that get through - just don't do what I did and rip the backside of my suit open!

You'll find the group stages fairly easy it's just to get a feel for how you react to new environments and new people - you'll also get a tour of the facilities and McQuaig tests are simple enough. I applied for the last scheme that ran and made it down to the final stage but obviously wasn't the sort of person they're looking for. If you want to know more pm me specifics and I'll try and dredge them out of the memory.

Just because you don't get this one doesn't mean you should be completely disheartened. Since my interview I have ended up working with a respectable aviation magazine and getting to do some interesting things and play with fun stuff. But it hasn't put me off I am doing the ATPL distance learning but would drop everything if I was offered a place on such a scheme.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Beaver100
15th Sep 2006, 08:31
I wonder if the new ageism laws will raise the application age above 25 ??
Oops, sorry, but I guess above that age then people like me are deemed to old and need a zimmer frame to get to the aircraft, a monocle to see the instruments and wheelchair assistance home after a 4 sector day !!

BlueRobin
15th Sep 2006, 17:36
Now if you chaps are coming up to Atlantic Flight Training at Coventry for interviews and tours, please be quiet! There will distance-learning peeps on theory brush-up and full-timers like myself revising for ATPL exams that week. Anyhoo, best of luck!

Will88
2nd Oct 2006, 16:29
So, who's got through to the second stage? :}

Puchacz14
2nd Oct 2006, 19:35
I take it that means you have...????...

Will88
2nd Oct 2006, 20:09
I take it that means you have...????...
Yes :) :ok:

Puchacz14
2nd Oct 2006, 20:15
Congrats m8! I aint heard anything yet, although I never get post on a monday for some reason!

Roo984
3rd Oct 2006, 11:19
Congratulations Will!

I've not heard anything yet... Probably a bad sign, but then I didn't think the interview went too well for me so not expecting very much. :uhoh:

Good luck to all those who get through though! :ok:

Roo984
6th Oct 2006, 13:30
Any news anyone?

Will88
6th Oct 2006, 15:31
Any news anyone?
I'm in :} :} :} :}

Puchacz14
6th Oct 2006, 15:56
I have a feeling that they arent going to tell us the outcome. Its a bit harsh IMO as everyone that went up on the inital day really wanted that sponsorship and i dare say worked bloody hard to get there and Highland hasnt even got the common decency to tell people that they havent got any further. I mean come on, 20 people and they cant even be arsed to send a letter saying 'no you havent got it' Its hardly going to break the bank is it while we're all sat here stewing. If I still havent got anything by monday im sending a letter (polite one oc) to tell them I aint happy.

Anywho, enough ranting I have an assessment to do, the Met final awaits!

Btw, if anyone does know offically from Highland that they aint got it let me know and i'll eat my words!

CRX
8th Oct 2006, 08:26
Puch,
While I appreciate you are anxious to get an answer you must understand a few things.
Highland have produced letters for all who attended the selections, both part one and part two.
These letters were produced by Sarah Lister who unfortunately fell ill during the week and it took a couple of extra days to complete them. The letters also needed the approval of Alan Mossman before dispatch, and he has been all over the country on business during that same week.
I can assure you that it has nothing to do with common decency nor a fear of breaking the bank! I am sure people worked hard to get there, perhaps even having to take a flight!
Everybody who attended part one was given a thorough look over and assessed against the needs of the company, and filtering was also carried out with the results of the McQuaig test. Decisions were not taken lightly.
Those who made it through to part two were considered even more carefully by several management staff and all opinions were listened to.
I don't know the final outcome as I was away last week when the sponsorship was awarded, but I am sure you will have an answer by early next week.
One of the things you will have learnt when you had your 'walkaround' of the company is that 'BA we ain't!' Sometimes things take a little longer to get done. Incidently I gave up a day and a half off to assist with the selection process, so don't tell me we can't be arsed.
I look forwards to receiving your 'rant' letter next week, however polite it is.

CRX.

Puchacz14
8th Oct 2006, 11:42
CRX

So what you are telling me is that Alan Mossman has to personally sign all the letters, they cant just be PP'd like the other letters I have recieved and that you are overworked! A day and a half eh, you want to get on to CAB about that ;)! It took me a full day to get up to Inverness and I wasnt getting paid!

I appreciate that you are a small company and the problems that are associated with such an operation and I take on board what you have said. I applogise if I have been unreasonable in any way and Iam going to leave it at that.

Cheers

Puch

CRX
8th Oct 2006, 13:39
Puch,
Get off your high horse and re-read my post. Not at any stage did I say Alan needed to SIGN the letters, just approve them. We had aimed to give individual feedback to those candidates that we considered strong enough to encourage to reapply, this was what needed approving by Alan. Most companies don't give feedback, just a standard PP'd letter. Is that what you want?
Not at any stage did I say I was overworked, and I don't begrudge giving up time off. I CHOSE to attend your selection, because I wanted to give a former 'cadet's' point of view and be there to answer questions, hence my anger at the suggestion that as a company we can't be arsed.
If the travel and lack of payment to attend interview was such a hassle I suggest you think again before trying for any other sponsorships. Assuming you haven't got this one of course.
Fully sponsored placements are like gold dust, no matter who is offering them, and they should go to those who are most deserving and suitable.
Things take time.
Good luck in your aviation career whichever way it goes.

CRX

GusHoneybun
8th Oct 2006, 15:14
It took me a full day to get up to Inverness and I wasnt getting paid!

Sheesh, with your attitude, at least it is a journey that you will only have to do the once.

Inspite of what you believe, Highland's number one priority at the moment is not the fugly scheme. The letters will be sent out when time can be found, and not before. What were you expecting? "Dear Mr Puch, We are sorry to inform you that Highland Airways is obviously not good enough for your employment and suggest you contact Virgin Galactic as your quality and calibre far exceeds this planet. Love and Hugs Alan Mossman"

Oh, and picking a fight with CRX is probably the worst thing you could do to your application. Not only is he an ex-fugly himself, but is also one of the management pilots whose decision it will be sought on who shguld be recruited! The fact that he gave his own time, not the companies by the way, but his own time, to assist in the selection is something that should be praised not ridiculed.

Professor Plum
8th Oct 2006, 17:50
So Puchacz14,

Did you get in?

:E

silverknapper
8th Oct 2006, 18:49
Well said plum, tongue in cheek i assume!!!!!!!!

What an absolute clown. After this little tirade you wouldn't get a job cleaning our airplanes never mind flying them, and being trained to do so at our expense. Sour grapes are a strange thing, I guess you never got to stage 2. But as Gus says that is this bridge well and truly burned I would imagine. we are a small company with no room for egos - you'd never fit in. Although the recruitment panel probably picked up on that anyway!!!
I would have a think about this career on a whole mate - rants like this suggest you'd be best off elsewhere. A boy band perhaps.

Ps we will work out who you are.

Will88
7th Apr 2007, 12:13
It's open!

End of.

MrHorgy
7th Apr 2007, 21:44
That's Highland Airways to the uninitiated ;)

Horgy

hollingworthp
7th Apr 2007, 22:27
I was wondering!

Luke SkyToddler
8th Apr 2007, 13:57
Yeah I heard the new plan is to have one cadet permanently chained to each phone line, two or three kept in a cage in the hangar to load the newspapers, and a couple extra to massage big Colin's feet and fan him with palm tree leaves :E

silverknapper
8th Apr 2007, 14:29
Even from those new pastures you still have your finger on the pulse Luke.
a couple extra to massage big Colin's feet and fan him with palm tree leaves
Watch out, BM will be upset someone is after his job!

MikeSamuel
8th Apr 2007, 16:38
I think I'll have a go at this one this time round, I'm still waiting to hear back from Atlantique as to whether they're going to do another scheme.

I'm a bit unsure about this one, having never even been to Scotland. As I see some of you are or were at the company, can you provide a summary of a typical week (if there is such a thing) for a Highland pilot and also how is the quality of life, what is there to do etc. in the Highlands?!

Cheers.:)

silverknapper
8th Apr 2007, 17:15
I think I'll have a go at this one this time round
Your commitment will get you everywhere!!!! Must be nice to have choices.
Do a search - the HWY job, conditions and lifestyle are all well documented on here. Or get off your backside and go to the area for a visit - bound to earn you brownie points if you decide to honour us with an application. We have electricity up in the Highlands now you know!;)

MikeSamuel
8th Apr 2007, 18:02
Hmm well I did do a search prior to posting and came up with very little apart from this thread.

I think it's a little unfair for you to assume I'm not committed to the cause, I am completely committed to becoming a commercial pilot - I simply intend to take a route to that ambition that won't bankrupt me or turn me into a dribbling wreck.

I have no intention of getting a huge loan with one of the larger airline schemes, it just seems a bit risky for me, especially as I'm already in ~£25k of student debt. My other option is to get a normal graduate job and work my way into flying over a number of years.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I know this and the Atlantique version are great opportunities.

I hear a lot of people saying how hostile PPRuNe can be these days...:ugh:

YYZ_Instructor
10th Apr 2007, 12:40
A quick question for people reading this thread...does anyone know what kind of quetions are asked in the interview?

FiiS
10th Apr 2007, 14:15
Howdy doo.

Been watching this scheme for a while, glad it's reopened. When will they stop taking applications? I can't see a final date ... PPL isn't quite there yet and I don't have a Class 1 yet ... so wondering how much time I have to sort things (and whether it is financially viable in a short space of time!)

Thanking you! :ok:

ZuluWhiskey
15th Apr 2007, 15:08
G'day wannabe macfuglies, hope plenty of you are applying to this one!
Fiis, Highland normally accept applications for about a month I think. I'd recommend that you try and get everything done asap, and get an application in before the end of the month. The current plan is to recruit cadets every 9 months, so basically if you're considering rushing the end of your ppl or can't afford to, don't worry too much if you miss the boat this time round.
Hope that helps and best of luck!
ZW

Luke SkyToddler
15th Apr 2007, 15:45
Hahahahahahahahaaaa

Someone used the words 'Highland' 'recruit' and 'plan' in the same sentence :}

Seriously - and no disrespect to Highland, because they are in exactly the same boat as all small turboprop operators in times like these when the big boys are hoovering up all the pilots - but take it from me you'd be a brave man to try and predict what their recruitment situation will be in 9 days let alone 9 months. In a company with less than 20 pilots, then even one or two unexpected resignations can throw the ops department into chaos.

I imagine it's one of the main reasons they are hiring cadets now, because people get hours so slowly up there that even 3 year bonds on the Jetstream doesn't allow direct entry people to move from left to right seat sometimes before their bond is up and they bugger off.

FiiS
15th Apr 2007, 15:52
What's that Luke, cynicism? Such things are unheard of in the aviation world!!! :} :ugh:

ZW, cheers for that - rushing the PPL won't help and could seriously hurt the delicate balance between being simply in the red and being seriously in debt!!! :eek:

YYZ_Instructor
16th Apr 2007, 01:03
Has anyone been to a Highland interview?
If so, can someone pm me with what kind of questions were asked.

Thanks

luigi_m_
23rd Apr 2007, 07:25
I currently work in Flight Ops with experience in management at a flying school, but would definitely enjoy the chance to fly for Highland, just never had the money to pay for my own pilot training. I meet all the requirements, but don't have a Class 1 Medical yet. Gatwick is my closest location to do this I think, so how much would I be looking at paying for this?

Also, didn't see a closing date for applications on the web site; anyone got any details?

MikeSamuel
23rd Apr 2007, 09:51
Initial Class 1 is ~£300. Good luck!

StraightLevel
23rd Apr 2007, 15:39
hello luigi_m_

if there is a delay in getting your class1, you could always complete and return the application form and stick in a wee note giving details of when you are due to be examined etc.

i am sure that Highland would understand.

StraightLevel

ali84
24th Apr 2007, 00:45
Hi there
Just wondering where the link to Highland sponsorship is?? cheers
Ali

Tui Hat Wearing Son
24th Apr 2007, 18:37
http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/191003?070424193640.81.159.14.223.24682+/highland/I7/EN/static/cadetschemes.html

Tui

ali84
24th Apr 2007, 23:58
That links no good

BlueRobin
25th Apr 2007, 09:04
There's a whacking great big label in the menu on the homepage that says "Careers" then drops down into an option labelled "Cadets" ;)

Roo984
25th Apr 2007, 09:33
You're best going to the website:

www.highlandairways.co.uk (http://www.highlandairways.co.uk)

theres a careers menu in the top right, the cadet scheme is linked there.

Hope that helps.

ali84
25th Apr 2007, 15:30
Thankx ROO984 that link worked unlike the other which took me to some other website.

Paul23
25th Apr 2007, 19:20
Hi all,

I too am in the process of applying for this scheme, as far as im concerned it sounds almost too good to be true, some real hands on flying.....none of this auto landing rubbish etc, I want to fly after spending all my money so far.

Im currently completeing my ATPL theory so hopefully that helps on cv, cant wait until its finished :8

The one question i do have is does anyone know if there are options of earning more money working for them in other ways , running along side the training programme, eg in engineering maintenance as this is what i have been doing for the last 1 1/2 years??
Ok 2 questions, any advice on application forms interview questions etc please pm me.

Thanks
Paul

good luck everyone :ok:

Will88
25th Apr 2007, 20:14
Hi Paul, realistically there isn't really much room for that - you'll be working in ops full time for the duration of your Fugship :)

Paul23
26th Apr 2007, 11:05
Will88, thanks for the reply, just thought I would ask the question as although £300 is good its not enough to pay current bills,close but not quite, eg previous flying loans etc.im sure i could find a way though, if you want something enough you make it work dont you.

Cheers

Slow Progress
27th Apr 2007, 11:29
I think it's great that this company are at least acknowledging that people over the age of 25 may have a chance with the relevant experience.

This is a great step forward which I wish other companies would adopt too.

I best get the ppl and medical done asap!!!!!!!

Rgds

Slow Progress

ZuluWhiskey
14th May 2007, 18:47
I was really shocked to find out the number of applications that the company has received for this last intake of cadets. It is CONSIDERABLY less than that of previous intakes.

If you have a PPL, a class one medical (or at least be able to obtain one very soon), a driving licence and fancy an interesting, real flying job in a beautiful part of the country, all after getting your training for absolute zilch, you really should put in an application before the end of the month!

All the best

ZW

bri1980
15th May 2007, 06:38
Don't think I will quite make the deadline on the PPL, but I was told by e-mail that they plan to reopen the scheme roughly every 6-9 months (confirming what the web page says), so if, like me, you won't make your PPL before the end of the month, you should be getting another chance later.

pheeel
22nd May 2007, 18:45
best of luck to everyone who applies for this, it looks like an amazing opportunity. GOOD LUCK ALL!

Paul23
23rd Jun 2007, 08:33
Has anyone else heard anything from this scheme, ive just recieved my invitation for interview :) and was just wondering how many others have recieved such.

Regards
Paul