PDA

View Full Version : A BIG THANK YOU TO THE AH BOYS - HUMBLE PIE

wokkawokka
19th Jul 2006, 18:59
Now back in Blighty safe and sound and although this Sqn does not have much of a record for Jointery and working with the UK's AH I feel that I must put the record right from the Sqn that publicly slagged off AH and spread the 'RAF, making Afghanistan safe for the AH' media hype rubbish.

As I sit here, with a cold beer in hand and kids at my feet I recognise that people back here in UK (including many military) have absolutely no idea what is currently going on in Afghanistan. Without breaking any confidential/secrets act etc quite simply I would like to say a genuine thank you to the AH team (in the air, on the ground, and the RAF/Army Ops room).

I know that without your help, overwatch, presence and fire support then there is a good chance that we would not have been as successful as we were. Lets hope it continues with the next Det.

So, yes you did have some teething problems, quickly rose to banter, and still have some Melchetts, but well worth the wait and you are repaying the delay with interest.

Thank you for some very memorable experiences that I will never forget - and ones that I am in no rush to repeat. Hopefully I have redressed the injustice from the early days and hopefully it was a relatively benign tactical situation, combined with niavity and ignorance that led to those ill informed comments.

Good luck, fly safe.

P.S. I am not a Pongo lover or have any desire to be an AH pilot, but before the usual crowd jump on the slagging disguised as banter wagon then give any of the Sqns a ring at Odiham a ring and we will put you right.

wg13_dummy
19th Jul 2006, 19:04
Good for you, wokkawokka.

I'm sure the chaps will appreciate your words.

Lafyar Cokov
19th Jul 2006, 19:20
Wokka wokka - you didn't mention, what do you fly?

Chinny Crewman
19th Jul 2006, 20:23
Is that a WAH?

The Helpful Stacker
19th Jul 2006, 20:33

Nothing at the mo probably, the (Odiham) cupboard is pretty bare.:rolleyes:

ORAC
19th Jul 2006, 20:52
Good luck to all, and hope that it really does work out a great success.....

But, and I'll say this only once, if the AH try and claim an air-to-air kill, even against a UAV, in the next few years, before the Air Force, then they're dead meat.... :=

Almost_done
19th Jul 2006, 20:54
Nicely said Wokkawokka, a bit of thanks goes a long way.

Especially in todays military where it seems to be more stick than carrot.

mutleyfour
19th Jul 2006, 21:00
Always nice to see a bit of mutual respect amongst us rotary drivers.
Welcome home WW.

Tombstone
19th Jul 2006, 21:24
Welcome home Wokkawokka,

A close friend is out there with the Paras & has been singing the praises of the SH & AH guys, not to mention the GR7 chaps.

Lets hope your next det is a while away!:ok:

Mmmmnice
20th Jul 2006, 05:49
Hear hear - as one who still gets dust in his shreddies daily, I can only add my thanks to those who help watch my 6. Beer.......I can almost remember that!!

Mr Teatime
20th Jul 2006, 18:46
Good skills WokkaWokka, we are all in it together. Mates are now back home safely thank goodness and my turn comes soon.

animo et fide
20th Jul 2006, 20:53
Having been on the same det as wokka I can concur totally with his comments. It sure was reassuring having those guys with us. (Especially daring Captain Nick, according to the Sun!!!) And the fact that they were all a good bunch really helped.
Looking forward to working with them again by the end of the year:ok:

Low Ball
21st Jul 2006, 07:17
The reports from the front are necessarily thin so it was very nice to see the sentiments expressed in this thread about the AH and its crews.

I’m a small cog in the wheel that trains the AH crews and to us they are well motivated, quick to learn, keen to show of both their own and their aircraft’s capabilities and really nice to be around. In short sh$t hot.

Glad to see also that jointery is alive and well. This should give a warm and fuzzy down at JHC.

Looking forward to hearing more stories of daring do – if allowed.

Well done AH and SH crews – take care:D

Low Ball

CPG
26th Jul 2006, 18:12
From all the guys in 656 Sqn i would just like to say thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you all, we all have some fond memories and some hairy ones. Look forward to seeing and working with you all later in the year and glad to see you had a good send off. Fly safe.

Roger the cabin boy
27th Jul 2006, 11:17
Just got back too, also from the same RAF organisation. Would just like to add that it was not just the AH aircrew (who were awesome, and without whom we would have had big dramas), but all of the 9 Regt AAC and REME pers, whatever the trade or rank, who contributed so much, in 5hite conditions, to get those boys in the air.

Without wishing to sound all girly (I'm not on 28 Sqn), my respect to you all - truly you are one of the most professional outfits I have ever worked with and your mission focus, from Air Trooper upwards, was exemplary.
Good luck for the rest of your det, stay safe and look after the Chinny's!

Roger Out.

Dundiggin'
25th Aug 2006, 21:57
'Without wishing to sound all girly (I'm not on 28 Sqn)'

You wouldn't be 'all girly' on 28 - you'd be 'partially girlie '!!

Deep respect from everyone at Benson - bloody superb!!:D :D :D
I know it's easy to say 'keep it going', but 'keep it going' lads we're watching and respectin'.

Wish I was still on Chinnies...................

Well done.....

26th Aug 2006, 10:34
Oooooh, you do blow hot and cold, don't you. Hangover wearing off?