PDA

View Full Version : Multi Time or UK Time

pomme pilot
19th Jul 2006, 17:21
Looking for some thoughts...:confused:
Basically doing a ICAO to JAA conversion. Have come up with 2 options (I won't mention the schools, as this aspect is already decided upon for both options). My options are to complete the JAA CPL in the USA on a twin, or in the UK on a single. They are near enough identical prices after considering flights, visa's etc.
I see the benefits of both, and am therefore struggling to make up my mind, but hoping to get some other arguments which I may have not considered, along with others views.:ugh:
My arguments at the moment:
USA: -Twin Training - Weather (VFR) - Varied Airspace experiences.
UK: -More UK experience - Possibility of reducing cost of IR through this experience (ie.will be a little more proficient with UK procedures and local area from the CPL training) - Flight school continuity
Thanks in advance
PP

portsharbourflyer
19th Jul 2006, 17:58
Better with the twin for the CPLin the US, CPL is essentially all under VFR therefore there won't be much in the way of IFR procedures during the CPL anyway. UK weather also means a UK based CPL could drag on forever and the cost will increase accordingly.

Getting as familiar with the twin as possible prior to the IR will also be quite helpful. Remember on the IR you will be under screens all the time so the familiarilty with the local area from a "VFR" CPL will not have that much advantage. Did my CPL in the states and got the IR first time.

pomme pilot
21st Jul 2006, 12:13
Come on... There must be more people out there with thoughts on this...:)
Thanks for the reply PHF.:ok:

silverknapper
21st Jul 2006, 13:07
All depends on you. How much flying have you done in UK already, how much complex single time do you have, how good is your VFR nav etc.
I did my CPL in a single in the UK. It worked for me but I'm not going to insist it's best for you. I found the transition to a multi easier than I would have going straight to a multi from a Tomahawk. Especially when said multi is costing you £6 a minute!! I did an IR course which was 25 hrs in the a/c as opposed to the usual minimum 15 so made up the multi hours there. But then I did all my advanced training in the UK where costs are sky high.
Multi hours are good value though. But in the end having 5 or 6 more multi hours isn't going to put you in a much better place for a job.It could even possibly be offset by some peoples perceptions of training in the states as opposed to UK. (Please don't start another argument on this one!!)

I should add that many people I know (and i think i agree) have the opinion that a multi CPL is easier than a single.

Good luck

sk

SinBin
21st Jul 2006, 13:40
True, but remember you're going a lot quicker, which means you miss things en route more easily/quickly, + it's 1/3 more expensive (roughly) per hour than the single and 6 engine controls to contend with instead of 3 (DA42 excluded). Drift is less though due to the higher speed and you don't necessarily need to look for a field when an engine goes bang! Some employers stipulate multi time, with no mention of UK time (Can't remember ever seeing any). So clearly there is not too much of an emphasis where you flew, rather what you flew. But even then, they're sometimes more interested if you have time on a certain type. I've done some flying in the US, and have zilch regrets!

Piltdown Man
21st Jul 2006, 22:35
Get taught to fly as complex and as fast aircraft as you can (not turboprop or jet, because they are far too easy!). This will get your brain up to speed. Then, when under pressure on a slower and less complex aircraft, you may have more spare capacity to deal with unexpected (or in my case, the expected).

The RT can be learnt from books and listening, but generally it's not too tough but remember IFR is so much simpler than VFR.