PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training and Kids

FirstOfficer
19th Jul 2006, 14:39
Hello All,

My life changed a bit due to the announcement (and I am extremely happy:) ) that I am going to be a dad, and for all those out there with kids I am sure that you all know that all free time is sacred, I am doing my PPL at the moment and going all the way to ATPL (modular), what I was wondering is to try and advance in terms of theory if it is a good idea to jump straight to the ATPL books instead of the PPL ones, so this way I wont need to study PPL books and then ATPL… (have 7 months before the birth).

Anyone done something similar? Any other tips from anyone with kids while doing flying training?

Many Thanks

boogie-nicey
20th Jul 2006, 10:07
First of all, congratulations on your imminent promotion to a DAD! :)

I'm no expert but be careful before you attempt to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Consult one of the ATPL providers and speak to your CFI to see what practical options you have.

I am mid way through my ATPLs and was a dad when I started. Sure it can be stressful but then again so can many other things in life. I've found a comfortable balance between family life and the demands of the ATPL course, bottom line .... it can be done. So good luck and all the best :ok:

Superpilot
20th Jul 2006, 11:57
Congratulations FO. Welcome to the Gonna be a Dad, but Wannabe a Pilot Club! :cool:

Mine is hitting 2 now. Granted the sleepless nights will do your head in at first, but once you get used to it you will find you have a lot of free time as there's not much they will cry over at that age. That's of course if Mum doesn't mind being a full time mum! :E . The problems start when they hit 1, 1 and half and won't sleep until 9:30pm (especially on hot nights like this! :ugh: ).... So if you can, get it all out of the way before then.

Have fun :ok:

elevengflyer
20th Jul 2006, 14:20
Gongrats on your future arrival. You'll find doing the ATPL licence very similair to being a dad - you throw money at something, it does not thank you for it and screams at you all the time - that's just the flying school!

Seriously though PPL exams are a lot less work than ATPLs, so I would advise you if you are intent on the modular route to do your PPL first and enjoy flying a bit (you'll need 150 hours anyway before you start the CPL/IR course). It will also reduce the risk for you as you'll get a flavour of what is involved and whether you do enjoy it.

I think if you were considering an integrated course, however, the advice would be the opposite - just do it asap! BUT research it FULLY FIRST.