PDA

View Full Version : Talking Traffic Lights Serve a Useful Purpose - Please Discuss

Barkly1992
19th Jul 2006, 09:40
Now I know this sounds like it is provocative - BUT - I think pilots (which I was or am one) should acknowledge their debt to 'Talking Traffic Lights'. It may be hard - but think about it.

They have saved my big bottom on a number of ocassions - one example:

'Charlie Bravo Foxtrot - are you aware that you are about to penetrate SY control zone (obviously without a clearance) - you are 10 nm west of xxxx''

'Sy - CBF - affirm - thanks for that'

I execute a rapid 90 degree turn to staboard and get back on track. I was actually unsure of position at the time in extreme VFR condistions and not feeling very confident.

What a great call - and I am sure that SY ATC were watching and looking out for me.

DISCUSS.

Thanks chaps - and chapettes :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jul 2006, 10:45
Sounds a good idea, although difficult to imagine how it works? What if the a pilot is not tuned to the "warning" frequency? Is it automated? If not, who issues the warning?

No, for my money I'd rather have an auto system linked to some Bofors guns!!!

Barkly1992
19th Jul 2006, 11:18
Back in the days of full reporting and was required to be on area frequency - ATC calls Flight Service and says without you knowing - can you call that PA28 5 miles east of Marulan to squarwk ident and let him know where he is - he is looking like about to give us a problem.

BTW height of an Australia summer - 38 degrees - winds 270 at 35 knots and 'willy willies' (that is not a rude description of ones willy) sucking clouds of dust up to 6000 - turbulence real bad.

I was working hard -

:\

Lon More
20th Jul 2006, 10:16
'nuff said (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235286)
Well done :D