PDA

View Full Version : Flying jobs in Ireland?

Matt Miller
18th Jul 2006, 21:18
Background:
Hi all, i'm starting a Cabair Integrated course very soon, currently work at BAE SYSTEMS as Avionics Design Engineer after Aero Sys Eng Degree. I have worked in flying schools during school/college years and worked as an Aircraft Dispatcher for a year post uni while waiting for security clearance.

My wife and child are moving to Ireland for the duration of the FATPL/MCC course at Cabair; my house is on the market to fund this life/career change.

Anyway that's my background, now my question is what is the general consensus for pilot jobs based in Ireland. I really want to land a first job based in Belfast City, Belfast International or Derry.

Are my chances good? Any experiences?

Airlines I think are based in N.I.

Easyjet
Flybe
Jet2

Any others?

EGAC_Ramper
18th Jul 2006, 22:01
I've always heard FlyBE struggle to keep pilots full stop but that Belfast City is one in particular.I've held long aspiratiosn to get a base at City having worked there for 3 years!;) Just awaiting them re-opening their online application.
Yes Jet.2 and Easyjet both have bases in Northern Ireland and as far as I'm aware so do Mytravel and First Choice(correct me if I'm wrong) though these are limited in size.

Regards:ok:

P.S. Good luck in your studies

Matt Miller
18th Jul 2006, 22:26
Thanks for your rapid reply, what's your status at the moment, ATPL? My wife is from City of Derry and longs to live in Eire. do you know if they take many cabair f/o's? I know they do from their mentored scheme.

scroggs
19th Jul 2006, 08:24
Basings are in the gift of the airline. You can't choose to join, say, easyJet on condition that you are based at Belfast. You join and accept whatever basing they give you. Once you have some seniority under your belt, you may have some influence over where you are based. You will, however, be able to express a preference on joining and, if NI is an unpopular base, you may be lucky. But don't base too many plans on it!

Scroggs

cavortingcheetah
19th Jul 2006, 08:52
:hmm:

Jersey European, now Flybe, used to have their main 146 base at Belfast City.
It was axiomatic within the airline that to move from the turbo-prop to the jet required a time spent in purdah at Belfast. Indeed, even to move from the right to the left seat almost required a sojourn in the hell that was unjustly perceived to be Belfast.
Those Captains who tried to commute from the UK to Belfast, leaving their families in England had rather an unhappy time of it, generally speaking. Those who moved to live in NI had a great time, generally speaking.
I suggest that CVs sent to any airline based in Belfast or Northern Ireland should originate from an address in that same part of the world and that the recruitment department should be left in absolutely no doubt that the sender wants fervently to remain in that area.
Nowadays there would seem to be little reason why one could not live south of the border and commute to Belfast. It might be cheaper, more congenial and more tax effective to do so?
I hope that this helps. Good luck.:)

corsair
23rd Jul 2006, 15:22
I'm slightly confused when you say 'My wife is from City of Derry and longs to live in Eire.' I presume you means she wants to live across the border in the Republic. Depending on where you choose to live that gives you more options south of the border.

Have you considered Aer Arann? They have bases in Galway and Dublin. I won't even mention Ryanair. There is also Cityjet in Dublin. Aer Lingus are rumoured to be recruiting shortly.

Living in the south doesn't preclude you from applying to the likes of Easyjet etc.I know at least one Easyjet pilot based in Belfast living in Dublin.

CCR
25th Jul 2006, 17:28
I don't think any airline has a base in Derry. The main bases for airline pilots in Ireland are Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Galway.

Global Pilot
26th Jul 2006, 13:50
I don't think any airline has a base in Derry. The main bases for airline pilots in Ireland are Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Galway.

Also include SNN as a base for pilots with RYR and EIN guys there. Air Contractors also have a DUB base. Many guys commute to their base but if your wife if commited to City of Derry then Belfast is the most likely option. Some are lucky on securing emplkoyment in a place that suits them but most have to go were the work is for at least the first few years of employment.

The City of Derry/Eire pairing would seem correct as it is only when Londonderry is used that the reference to Eire is used refering to south of the border.

best of luck in the training.

GP.