PDA

View Full Version : Double crewing question

ccryan
18th Jul 2006, 20:41
Hello all,
I am wondering what your local airlines are doing for staffing on double crews... 2 capt & 2 f/o, 1 capt & 3 f/o or a combination with a 'cruise pilot' position? I am trying to get an idea of 'industry' standards on an international level. You can post here or get back to me at [email protected]
Thanks in advance.
C.

preset
19th Jul 2006, 05:46
On ULH flights CX use one Captain, two F/Os, one of whom is the designated Relief Pilot in Charge and one S/O. On LH flights ie 8-9 hrs one Captain, one F/O & one S/O (or two F/Os). Hope that helps.

ccryan
19th Jul 2006, 13:28
Preset are you allowed to operate 12 + hours with just the 3 crew members and can you fly multiple legs, or is off to the hotel? Example, HKG-AMS-LHR, HKG-JFK-DUL or something of the sort? Thanks for your reply. :cool:

ccryan
20th Jul 2006, 02:39
I wish I could help you there, but I don't work for those guys...:=

preset
20th Jul 2006, 04:49
Preset are you allowed to operate 12 + hours with just the 3 crew members and can you fly multiple legs, or is off to the hotel? Example, HKG-AMS-LHR, HKG-JFK-DUL or something of the sort? Thanks for your reply. :cool:

Without getting into the nttiy gritty of the AFTLs, no we don't operate multiple legs on ULH eg HKG-AMS then stop. Legs of 12+ hrs are operated with 4 crew eg LHR, FCO, LAX, SFO etc. Aust, NZ flights & some Middle East flights are 3 crew it can depend on the season which affects the average flight time for a sector. Shorter sectors like HKG-PER only have 2 crew.

tifters
20th Jul 2006, 06:09
Or if you fly the 777 you can fly 2 sectors 12 1/4 hours duty with only 2 crew, (ok ok not just the 777)....

ccryan
20th Jul 2006, 13:09
Thanks gents...much appreciated, a virtual drink on me then!