PDA

View Full Version : Flightplans

finalapproach
18th Jul 2006, 12:19
Can anyone advise concisely and succinctly when it is necessary to file a flightplan, when it is not necessary but adviseable to file a flight plan, the differences between an IFR and a VFR flightplan, how you file a flight plan and anything else that's useful to know about flight plans. It is a subject I am a little confused about, not being in the habit of filing them. Cheers.

rustle
18th Jul 2006, 12:30
Quicker to Google this unless someone wants to spend all arvo writing what is already written elsewhere.

However, the AIS website has again proved its usefulness :D

See HERE (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/20110.PDF) for the info you want. Section is ENR 1-10-1.

EGBKFLYER
18th Jul 2006, 13:27
See also CAA Safety Sense Leaflet 20 - in the back of LASORS or on the CAA website:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_GAD_WEBSSL20.PDF

IO540
18th Jul 2006, 13:31
There is a CAA "safety sense" leaflet somewhere which describes VFR flight plans fairly well.

A flight plan is required for

- Class A
- Crossing national boundaries
- IFR in controlled airspace

Any more?

The rest of the time it isn't necessary but is probably a good idea if flying over desolate/remote uninhabited territory i.e. anywhere in Wales :)

Otherwise, your question is a big one.

finalapproach
18th Jul 2006, 14:56
Thanks Rustle, I did try googling it originally and just got loads of stuff about the film (Jodie Foster). Very interesting of course, but not exactly what I was after.

FlyingForFun
18th Jul 2006, 21:08
To answer the question properly, we also need to distinguish between filing a flight plan by filling in a bit of paper and sending it to Heathrow or Brussels or wherever, and filing an airborne flightplan by calling up ATC on the radio and asking for a zone transit.

FFF
----------------

rustle
18th Jul 2006, 21:16
To answer the question properly, we also need to distinguish between filing a flight plan by filling in a bit of paper and sending it to Heathrow or Brussels or wherever, and filing an airborne flightplan by calling up ATC on the radio and asking for a zone transit.

FFF
----------------

Like this? (all within the document I linked ;))

1.2 Types and Categories of Flight Plan

1.2.1 There are two types of flight plan:
(a) Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flight plan;
(b) Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) flight plan.

1.2.2 Flight plans fall into three categories:
(a) Full flight plans: the information filed on Form CA48/RAF 2919;
(b) Repetitive Flight Plans (see paragraph 5);
(c) Abbreviated Flight Plans: the limited information required to obtain a clearance for a portion of flight (eg: flying in a Control Zone, crossing an Airway) filed either by telephone prior to take-off or by RTF when airborne. The destination aerodrome will be advised of the flight only if the flight plan information covers the whole route of the flight.

1.2.3 Full and Abbreviated flight plans may be filed by RTF with the appropriate controlling Air Traffic Service Unit (ATSU).