PDA

View Full Version : GA into Birmingham

A V 8
18th Jul 2006, 10:29
Hi all,

Next week, my folks are flying into EGBB for a visit. I would like to pick them up in a PA28.

I've spoken with a ground handling agency at Brum who says it's not a problem and they'll even pick my folks up from the Terminal. All in all, it'll cost arond £60-£70 - Landing, Nav and Handling fees. So all sounds good.

All that remains is to file a VFR flight plan and talk to the ATC people nearer the time.

I would like to know if any of you out there have done this, or similar, before and what your experiences were.

Many thanks,

AV8

P.S: Please feel free to highlight any flaws in my plan:)

Mariner9
18th Jul 2006, 11:26
Don't think VFR flighplans are mandatory for Brum (although haven't checked the AIP), but it wouldn't hurt to file one anyway.

One possible gotcha...make sure your parents don't bring too much luggage!

Other than that, enjoy the trip :)

S-Works
18th Jul 2006, 14:08
no flight plan needed VFR. I go in there every couple of months for meetings at the NEC. Very efficient bunch, the handling agents usually drop me off at the NEC.

vanhigher
18th Jul 2006, 20:33
make sure that you have enough fuel - there is no Avgas available !

A V 8
19th Jul 2006, 21:06
Thanks for the replys.

My flight is around 30 mins each way, and I'll be leaving with either fuel on 'tabs' or full.:)

No VFR flight plan req'd - Bonus. Something less to worry about.:D

They're only down for the weekend and I'll be in a PA28-181 Archer, so, luggage shouldn't be an issue, especially as they're flying down with flybe who have now started charging for luggage - Bu**ers!:= However, I have confirmed how much luggage they're bringing.

All I got to sort out now is the weather:ugh:

Rgds,

AV8

planecrazy.eu
21st Jul 2006, 07:13
BHX is class D Right? What class of airspace must you file a flight plan if under IFR or VRF? I am sure this book i am reading states that class D airspace must have a flight plan? Unless its IFR under class D? Revising for PPL so info would be great as then i can put myself right...

S-Works
21st Jul 2006, 08:40
No flight plan required for Class D. We would never get around the UK without endless flight plan filing if you needed one!

spekesoftly
21st Jul 2006, 09:45
It depends on what you mean by a Flight Plan; there are two categories:-

i) Full flight plans; the information required on Form CA48/RAF2919

ii) Abbreviated flight plans; the limited information required to obtain a clearance for a portion of a flight (e.g. flying in a control zone, crossing an airway) filed either on the RTF, or by telephone prior to take-off.

Pilots are required to file flight plans for all IFR flights within controlled airspace (Class A-E), and for all VFR flights within Class B, C and D airspace.

planecrazy.eu
21st Jul 2006, 11:12
Pilots are required to file flight plans for all IFR flights within controlled airspace (Class A-E), and for all VFR flights within Class B, C and D airspace.

So if Birmingham is in class D and VFR is used then a flight plan is needed?

S-Works
21st Jul 2006, 12:41
NO! An RT crossing is all that is needed.

Mariner9
21st Jul 2006, 12:47
Clarifying Bose's answer, yes a flightplan is required for Class D transit VFR, but it can be passed over the radio (the usual TPHAIR response to the "Pass your message" request would be sufficient for this purpose).:8

Edited to add: If you're departing from an aerodrome within Class D, the "Book out" telephone call to ATC would also be sufficient for this purpose