PDA

View Full Version : Anybody? Steer me in the right direction

downwindabeam
18th Jul 2006, 04:31
Hello Everybody,

I am an american citizen, currently living in Los Angeles. Currently employed as a traffic watch pilot (C-172) with 1000TT, 175ME (135 PA44-180, 34 C340/A, 6 SIC CE550)

Am looking for a first officer job, *anywhere in the world*, flying any jet powered airplane (i.e turbofan/turbojet). Am single, with no strings attached and am ready to move as soon as needed.

Currently hold an FAA (ICAO compatible) MEI/CFII/CFI. Which includes COMM Single and Multi engine with Instrument rating.

Regards,

-Downwindabeam

YYZ_Instructor
18th Jul 2006, 04:46
I don't mean to be pessimistic or anything, but you can rule out most places around the world.
#1- Europe is way out of the question because you don't have a JAR License.
#2- Canada is out of the question because you don't have an ATPL nor 500Multi PIC.
#3- Africa...difficult place to find a job as they usually fill positions with local pilots, but maybe not impossible.
#4- Asia, booming aviation but i suspect they want more than 1000TT as most countries have a stipulation of 1500 hours commercial experience and a full ATPL....well thats at least what China Airlines told me even though I thought I had their minimums.
#5- South America is not very talked about as I don't think aviation is booming neither is it a large economy sucking in pilots.
#6- That leaves the Caribean...well at least the islands that use the FAA license....but I have heard that is not easy either...especially when you say you want turbofan time! :ugh:

I would stick with the current job...anyway i thought it was easy to build time in the USA?!? I met a lot of guys flying turbo props there with 1000TT, strange....:rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck with your search....hope it goes well. :ok:

YYZ_Instructor

downwindabeam
18th Jul 2006, 08:03
It is easy in the United States, t-props are a little easier to find jobs in with 1000TT, tfans/tjets are a little tougher but *very* doable.

I am just looking for a change of country, that's all. And am checking to see about options in other places.

Thought somebody might be able to help me out, but I guess the situation is the same everywhere you go.

Thanks much for the help anywayz!

-Downwindabeam

scroggs
18th Jul 2006, 09:45
Your first problem when looking at other countries to work in is will they accept a non-national working there? After all, the USA isn't exactly easy for a foreigner to legally get a work permit in, why should other countries be different?

It is possible, but really only when your skills and experience are such that you become an asset to an overseas operator. For example, there are many Americans working in the Middle East and Far East, but pretty much all of them did their time at home first.

You need to get yourself on a useful type - and don't turn your nose up at turboprops - in the USA. Get some real experience then graduate to a heavier type. When you've got, say, 4-5000 commercial hours under your belt, you can look at Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and others that rely on expat labour.

Scroggs