PDA

View Full Version : Simulator time at OAT v Cabair

balhambob
17th Jul 2006, 21:12
I have been looking at these 2 colleges fior Integrated courses

Cabair has 40 hours on FRASCA 242 & ALSIM AL200 MCC simulators

OAT has 40 hours on a B737 simulator

I would think that the time on a B737 simulator would be much more valuable as it is relevent to a type???

I would be grateful for any opinions on this and also if anyone has any info on what FRASCA 242 & ALSIM AL200 MCC are like and how long you spend on each at Cabair

Thanks

Rob

Groundloop
18th Jul 2006, 08:35
I have been looking at these 2 colleges fior Integrated courses

Cabair has 40 hours on FRASCA 242 & ALSIM AL200 MCC simulators

OAT has 40 hours on a B737 simulator

I would think that the time on a B737 simulator would be much more valuable as it is relevent to a type???

I would be grateful for any opinions on this and also if anyone has any info on what FRASCA 242 & ALSIM AL200 MCC are like and how long you spend on each at Cabair

Thanks

Rob

Firstly, OAT's 737 sim is not a real 737 sim, it is generic.

Also, MCC courses are NOT to teach you to fly a particular type of aircraft. They are to give you experience of working in a two-crew environment. If the sim is of a complex aircraft type you may end up spending too much time having to learn the systems of that aircraft and thus lose out on the actual reason for an MCC course.

speedrestriction
18th Jul 2006, 08:52
The OAT sims are FNPTII (there is a new one coming on-line). Have (nearly) all the bells and whistles, however you are doing an MCC/JOC on it, not a type rating, and therefore you don't go into great detail on any of the systems. Also the sim doesn't have the Boeing module which means that it won't emulate the handling characteristics of the aircraft closely as a TR sim (apparently). Still, a challenge to fly well and I found it a great tool to train on.

SR

whoops....I see you beat me to it Groundloop!

scroggs
18th Jul 2006, 09:36
The simulators at this stage of training are used to pass on techniques and procedures which will be of use to you whatever type you end up flying. Their resemblence (or otherwise) to any particular type is irrelevant to the aims of the course you are engaged on, and will have little or no benefit when you later undertake a type rating.

As in choosing a job, do not choose a school because it appears to have the best toys. The quality of instruction is by far the most important factor. However, as you are in no position to judge that, you must make your choice on more subjective criteria such as the feedback from current students and the feel of the place and people. For that you must visit any school you are considering - it amazes me how many people choose their school on the basis of a brochure, an internet site and some half-understood rumour about 'reputation'.

Scroggs

balhambob
18th Jul 2006, 11:18
Good points

I have already visited cabair and am planning to go see OAT.

I have saved up the 60k myself and i'm not stupid enough to part with it on the basis of a glossy brochure! If i was that gullable i wouldnt have saved the money through my own hard work

My questions regarding the sims my seem naive but i really do not know anything about them. Am embarking on an Ab-initio course

Thanks

newbie008
18th Jul 2006, 12:06
Done well to save 60k! Have you thought about going modular instead? You can do your ppl whilst you work and then if you choose oat, do the rest of the training within 6 months or so. You'll have 20-30k left and have the same license as you would if you went integrated. I would never go integrated unless it was through a company and there were prospects of a job at the end ie flybe.. just a suggestion

balhambob
18th Jul 2006, 15:13
The conclusion seems to be that the Sims at OAT are no better than Cabair