PDA

View Full Version : Different education/exams

captwannabe
17th Jul 2006, 13:45
In the UK, 2 A-levels seems to be the norm, some people do 3, and 4 is a bit extravagant. In Ireland we are required to do 6 subjects, most do 7, some including myself do 8, and 9 is somewhat extravagant. If you have any interests outside of school, it is hard to do well in all 8 subjects, because most of them are done in as much detail as A-Levels. If in a selection process where two almost identical candidates were in competition, one with 3 A's in Physics, Maths, Chemistry (A-Levels), the other with A's in Phys, Maths, Chem, and B's or C1's in English, Irish, and 3 other subjects (Irish Leaving Cert), would the first person be preferred because of straight A's or would they look at the second person and think he/she did very well and has a broader education??? Remember they are identical in every other aspect.

scroggs
17th Jul 2006, 17:27
You are talking about England and Wales, not the UK. Scotland has a different system (Highers), as do many European countries. Moat large employers are quite aware of the differences and will take them into account. Smaller ones may need educating.

I've a feeling that there is a site that explains the equivalencies between different countries' examination systems; it may be associated with the UK university entrance system. Have a Google and see if you can find it.

Scroggs

EIRE-PLANER
17th Jul 2006, 17:31
Hey
Well in my opinion think you d have the upper hand on this one if your taking all Higher Level papers of course, two students both with straight A's in Math,Physics,Chemistry (Irish leaving Vs A levels)hard to distinguish, but with your 4 additional subjects combined with heavier workload for the leaving cert..:D

Run Run
19th Jul 2006, 10:21
Hi captwannabe,

I was a student in Northern Ireland and therefore completed A-levels. I have seen your post..

In the UK the norm is 3 A-levels if you want to any reasonable degree course and very few people take two A-levels ( only weaker students they usually find it dificult to get in to Uni as they are competing against the majority of students with 3 a-levels therefore will do a BTec course or dip in higer education ....the very talent students will do 4 (not common)

I have noted that you are comparing the leaving cert and A-levels... These two sets of exams are NOT at the same level....

I studied A-levels in Physics, Bio, Chemistry and got 3 A's and went on to study med at uni and there were students from the rep of Ireland entering the same course with straight A's in their leaving cert and they all had to do a foundation course or a genenal science course to bring them up to the standard of A-levels.....ie med in Ireland is 6yrs and only 5yrs in UK???

If you are looking for high grades outside interest will normally fall to the wayside until after the exams thats just life.....we all have to deal with that....

If in a selection process where two almost identical candidates were in competition the person with the best grades will usually get in.....

While leaving cert does give you a broader knowledge you cant penalise a UK students for a different education system they do the same level of work in the three subjects as leaving cert students in their 7.

If this was not the case i'm sure universities in ireland would not be keen on taking students from the north....if you want to compete with A-levels you may have to do some foundation course if you go to the UK... But that will depend on what you want to study.

My advice is to keep the head down and try to get as high as posible...

Hope this helps

captwannabe
19th Jul 2006, 18:57
I've been doing a bit of googling. I found that on the UCAS Tariff, a Leaving Cert (Higher Level) subject is equal to 2/3s of an A Level (1:0.67). So 5 (4.67) Leaving Cert results at Grade A is equal to 3 A Levels at grade A, although if you get a mix of A1s and A2s in LCHL the ratio would be more like 1:0.725. Similarly, BBC in A Levels equals BBBCC in Irish Leaving Cert Higher Level. Therefore, doing 7 or 8 Leaving Cert Higher Level exams is equal to 5 A Levels.

A foundation year is only undertaken for certain degree subjects such as medicine, but is unnecessary for most courses (including most science/maths-based courses).

This was introduced in 2004(?) to benchmark to two different systems, and 1 to 0.067 is the standard.

Run Run
20th Jul 2006, 13:35
Yes I'm sure you are correct...

I just disagreed with the following statement

1) most of them are done in as much detail as A-Levels. ( They are not and the UCAS point system relfects that more points awarded to an A-level subject than Leaving cet syubject... :rolleyes:

also to answer your question

2) One with 3 A's in Physics, Maths, Chemistry (A-Levels), the other with A's in Phys, Maths, Chem, and B's or C1's in English, Irish, and 3 other subjects (Irish Leaving Cert), would the first person be preferred because of straight A's or would they look at the second person and think he/she did very well and has a broader education???

No the one with the highest points would get in. If these points happen to be the same they would take a/c of extenal factors not your education system...

captwannabe
20th Jul 2006, 14:48
1) I realise I was wrong on your first point, although I'm sure that LCHL Biology does come quite close. Regardless, I think the valid points have been made on this topic.

Since 7 LCHL subjects is equal to 5 A levels, surely the workload is greater for LC than A levels.

Run Run
20th Jul 2006, 16:11
Thankyou for your honesty in relation to the first point:O... However i disagree with your second point

1) "Since 7 LCHL subjects is equal to 5 A levels, surely the workload is greater for LC than A levels".

You forgot to note that highter level papers have to be taken in each subject to reach A-level standard...

Your cal above is not strickly correct as 7*2/3 = 4.66 but I understand why you rounded this upto 5....:D

If every Irish student was coming out with 5 A-levels I think you would find that alot more Irish students would be in English uni & the English education system would not have the reputation that it clearly has. (eg Oxford and Cambridge - for the uninitiated). Do I need to elaborate this point any further:cool:

captwannabe
20th Jul 2006, 17:28
In all of my posts I was referring to Leaving Certificate Higher Level (LCHL). [7 = 5, 5 > 3, = higher workload]

I rounded up 4.67 to 5 A levels equalling 7 LCHL exams, just as I rounded 4.67 to 5 LCHL exams equalling 3 A levels, just as I rounded 8.33 to 8 LCHL exams equalling 5 A levels. :rolleyes:

Irish students don't go to English universities because there is EXCELLENT, and FREE third-level education in Ireland (UCC, TCD, UCD, UL, etc.)! VERY, VERY few Irish students go abroad for third level education. The Irish education system has an excellent reputation! Do I need to elaborate this point any further?

:D :cool:

Run Run
24th Jul 2006, 09:05
I'm sure the edu system in ireland is ok...

However recent major projects carried out in ireland would make you wonder>>>

The port tunnel two small for super trucks... was that not the point of the tunnel..:ugh:

Tram lines that do not meet :sad:

They are now building a metro to the airport... but you do not end up at the airport :eek:

All acedemics inspired by the Irish leaving cert

scroggs
24th Jul 2006, 10:49
OK, enough. If it's not related to professional pilot training, it doesn't get discussed here. There are plenty of other places where you may debate the pros and cons of the Irish education system. The original query has been answered.

Scroggs