17th Jul 2006, 10:19
Im after a little bit of advice regarding schools, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I realise there are alot of these threads.
Im currently looking at;
2 A-Levels (Maths @<hidden> C/above. Computing @<hidden> D)
My parents would be willing to secure a loan on the house.The thing is, I need a school where I can do an integrated course, but I must be able to apply for a loan to cover some/all of the fees. I realise FTE covers all the costs. OAT can get upto £50000. But Im not entirely sure about CabAir, is it possible to get a loan to cover the fees or not?
Also, Im not 100% sure if Jerez would accept me on my academic qualifications.
Im open to moving abroad to train.
Any advice on where to go/what to do would be GREATLY apprecated, thanks in advance.
Lee H ;
17th Jul 2006, 10:35
I'm not sure if your the same Lee I left a posting on OAT's forum for or not - but I suspect you are.
I personally would recommend that you base your selection of a FTO not just on cost alone - the quality of training, job prospects, facilities etc must all be taken into account. Now I don't want to sound as if I've been brain washed by OAT (Im booked onto their APP First Officer) but I PERSONALLY felt that It was the best school for me. Once you decide which school you wish to join you may need to sacrifice some time to save the additional funds - but I feel it would be worth it. It has taken me near 18 months to save what I need for OAT - but for me it was worth the wait rather that going with the school I could get 100% funding for and getting to start straight away.
Visit all of the FTO's if you can and make yur decision from there. Yes the cost andffunding is important - but is it the most important? Thats what you need to ask yourself.
Please remember, in the case of HSBC providing a maximum of 50k - there is a reason for that - affordibility. I doubt any new graduate could afford repayments on much more that 50k aswell as living/rent etc. Bare that in mind too.
Good Luck with what you choose to do. :)
17th Jul 2006, 10:58
Yeah I am the same, cheers for replying to both mate. To be honest with you, after reading documents from Oxford I also felt it was for me, their 'consideration' (shall we say), appealed greatly, what with the skills refresher course, etc. if you dont find a job. I've already considered job prospects, etc. which is why I posted on OAT, because if possible to get the extra funds, thats where I want to be, not only does the program look good for job prospects, etc, the school is quite highly regarded. I think Im going to have to stay at this job for another year or so, the wages increase if I decide to stay, save up some money, £20k or so, then reapply at a later date.
17th Jul 2006, 11:09
If you decide to go for OAT - then I think it's well worth your while to save that little bit extra. I did the Skills Assessment, and boy once that was passed it gave me alot of enthusiasm to work hard to get that extra money - u just want started on the course! By doing the skills assessment it also gives you an insight into your strengths and weaknesses. I initially failed the Compass test and retook it 6 months later. I learnt alot about myself in those 6 months, and I think with the benefit of being able to look back now it was worth the wait.
Good Luck Lee
17th Jul 2006, 11:10
I can't honestly believe that you need more information than is already held in the links contained in the Archive thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649). No-one else can make the decision for you. Your next step must be to visit the schools yourself and decide which one suits you best.
17th Jul 2006, 11:20
If your parents are willing to secure the loan on their house, then it is their loan and not yours. You will have to repay your parents. How they go about increasing their mortgage is between them and the mortgage provider and will not have anything to do with whether the flying school can provide/arrange loans.