PDA

View Full Version : IOT Course Breakdown

Ninj43
16th Jul 2006, 21:19
Haven't been able to find anything about this other than hearsay. What is the breakdown of the new IOT course? Is it fact in yet? Has it gone to 8months?

Thanks for any advice, seems odd that the Cranwell www is still referring to it as the IOT of old - 24weeks.

Rgds

Tombstone
16th Jul 2006, 21:30
I'm fairly sure that the first extended IOT started last November and finished a short time ago...

Descend to What Height?!?
17th Jul 2006, 09:46
Ninj43
Correct, IOTC number 1 started last November on the new 3 term system of 10 weeks per term.

Pop down to your local AFCO, as there is a new DVD and booklet "The Journey" (pub 458 ) out, updated in April 06 reflecting the new course structure.

Out of interest, SERE has also been updated, and the update for ROIT is underway.

UberPilot
17th Jul 2006, 10:03
I'm fairly sure that the first extended IOT started last November and finished a short time ago...

IOT 1 grad'd on Thursday - free airshow for us all! Although when you're trying to get some sleep after 4 days in the field the Typhoon really wasn't appreciated!

airborne_artist
17th Jul 2006, 10:24
get some sleep after 4 days in the field

My heart bleeds :{ - bet you couldn't take your special Teddy, either :E

Stringy
17th Jul 2006, 11:18
I was given a piece of paper with a breakdown of the course on my Fam visit in May, alas I have neither a scanner or the motivation to type it out :E

Stringy
17th Jul 2006, 12:24
Damn, I guess you have a point there, I must change my ways before I start in 2 weeks time...............Not...................:cool:

jonny5
17th Jul 2006, 12:25
No teamwork and no motivation, must be crab airways!;)

Tombstone
17th Jul 2006, 14:50
Damn, I guess you have a point there, I must change my ways before I start in 2 weeks time...............Not...................:cool:
So much to learn...

Johnny5...you're not an F3 mate by any chance? I seem to remember flying into Leuchars a few years ago & your name rings a bell...

Edited:
having re-read your last post with my eyes open this time, I guess your not an F3 mate!!

MostlyHarmless
17th Jul 2006, 16:00
Guess the standard of entrants continues to drop - only took 18 weeks to edukate us in my day.

Stringy
17th Jul 2006, 21:37
So much to learn...Well that would be why we train...

Tombstone
17th Jul 2006, 21:51
Your attitude will hold you in good stead for IOT...not.

Safety_Helmut
17th Jul 2006, 22:00
Explains why the word gobsh!te was invented doesn't it ?

S_H

Stringy
17th Jul 2006, 22:03
Your attitude will hold you in good stead for IOT...not. You're obviously just doing this in an attempt to get a rise out of me or something, to perhaps prove a point about how the youth of today aren't cut out for training, or somesuch nonsense, and that I am going to be a bad RAF Officer. I do realise that I have a lot to learn during IOT, and that it will doubtlessly be one of the hardest things I will go through in my life. However, something that I will not let somebody do (on the internet of all places) is question unjustifiably my ability or potential to do a job well, given next to no knowledge about me.

Sure, I know there is banter in the forces and all that, but sheesh, get something more interesting to do than sit at a computer and post inflammatory comments about somebody you know nothing about.

/waits for comments of 'haha, you'll suck at IOT as you can't take criticism/banter/wet-towel whipping'

And back on topic Ninj43, tomorrow I will go find the afformentioned piece of paper and steal someone elses scanner so that you can have the IOT course breakdown.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
17th Jul 2006, 22:43
What a load of bollocks tombstone and movablah! Good banter Stingy, you'll fit in the RAF just fine. Good luck at IOT!

JAG3
17th Jul 2006, 22:52
''I was given a piece of paper with a breakdown of the course on my Fam visit in May, alas I have neither a scanner or the motivation to type it out :E''

You have to admit Stringy it was pretty careless for you to admit you've got no motivation for your up and coming FAM visit.:=

Stringy
17th Jul 2006, 22:56
''I was given a piece of paper with a breakdown of the course on my Fam visit in May, alas I have neither a scanner or the motivation to type it out :E''

You have to admit Stringy it was pretty careless for you to admit you've got no motivation for your up and coming FAM visit.:=Alas my dear you either misread my post or mistyped your own. I've already had my Fam visit, and the piece of paper in my possession (under tons of boxes we have to keep our things in). The lack of motivation was for finding it to type it out there and then, but like I said, I will make a special effort to procure a scanner with which to get the information to Ninj43

JAG3
17th Jul 2006, 23:02
Sorry about that, but please don't call me dear if you don't mind and another thing, surely anything to increase the speed to your RAF career will give you motivation...........won't it.:rolleyes:

Stringy
17th Jul 2006, 23:12
please don't call me dear if you don't mindSure thing snookums.

Tombstone
18th Jul 2006, 10:58
You're obviously just doing this in an attempt to get a rise out of me or something, to perhaps prove a point about how the youth of today aren't cut out for training, or somesuch nonsense, and that I am going to be a bad RAF Officer. I do realise that I have a lot to learn during IOT, and that it will doubtlessly be one of the hardest things I will go through in my life. However, something that I will not let somebody do (on the internet of all places) is question unjustifiably my ability or potential to do a job well, given next to no knowledge about me.

Sure, I know there is banter in the forces and all that, but sheesh, get something more interesting to do than sit at a computer and post inflammatory comments about somebody you know nothing about.

Oh my word, that was such a big bite I need a new fishing rod!!!;)

Good luck on IOT Stringy, IMHO you've done the hard part by getting through OASC. IOT is designed for you to pass & teaches as opposed to chopping these days.

foldingwings
18th Jul 2006, 11:52
airshow for us all! Although when you're trying to get some sleep after 4 days in the field the Typhoon really wasn't appreciated!

That was the CFS Reunion airshow; not the OACTU Grad airshow! Although, I grant you, it was difficult to tell the 2 events apart but the CFS bash was later in the afternoon.

Whyfor you still in bed after 1600 hrs, 'cos that was the timing of the Typhoon show (I was on my way home, it fair distracted me on the High Dyke!)

FW

Stringy
18th Jul 2006, 11:57
Oh my word, that was such a big bite I need a new fishing rod!!!;)I knew that I was rising to the occasion and 'biting', but I was tired as I'm getting myself used to getting up at 0530, and going to bed late, which I'm going to get a lot of in a couple of weeks. I felt I just needed to word vomit all over the keyboard and type a long post :O

Anywhere, where's that piece of paper with the IOT breakdown...

foldingwings
18th Jul 2006, 12:10
Sure thing snookums.

Stringy,

You've got what it takes - good ripostes all of them. Take no sh*t from these guys. Get to OACTU; put your head above the parapet (don't hide like the grey man); do your best; pass the OS exam (as well as all the leadership tests etc); and be positive. If you do, you'll have no snags.:D

Of course I don't know you but you seem to have appropriate humour and attitude to fit in well as an officer in the RAF (or the Navy or the Army before the pongos and fisheads chime in!)

What's your selected for branch?

FW

Stringy
18th Jul 2006, 12:19
What's your selected for branch?

FWThis is where it all goes wrong in the eyes of many no doubt :E

*cough*Fighter Control*cough*

Oh, and the IOT break down (camera was easier than scanner). Don't ask me what half of those abbreviations are though, or what they entail - I plan on finding out what the things in terms 2 and 3 are when I'm there :}
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8393/iotcoursely8.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iotcoursely8.jpg)

Tombstone
18th Jul 2006, 12:21
Stringy,

I did a similar thing with my sleep pattern before IOT and found myself very tired well before the rest of the flight so please be careful with that one. :bored:

How are your boots coming on? Any signs of flexibility in 'em yet??

Edited after seeing Stringy's choice of Branch:

Never mind the boots, have you got you noose ready?;)

Stringy
18th Jul 2006, 12:24
Stringy,

I did a similar thing with my sleep pattern before IOT and found myself very tired well before the rest of the flight so please be careful with that one. :bored:

How are your boots coming on? Any signs of flexibility in 'em yet?? My boots seem ok as long as I've got tape on my heels, pretty flexible, but covered in dust at the moment due to the wonderfully dry conditions (easier to clean off than mud though I guess). I'm just trying to get myself used to 6 hours sleep as I'm used to 8 - I'm going to be getting less than 6 most likely while I'm there.
Never mind the boots, have you got you noose ready?;)
Yeah, I've got one that I'll keep in my room (in a box of course so it's tidy), and I've got a spare to keep in either my car or a collapsable wardrobe.

foldingwings
18th Jul 2006, 12:33
*cough*Fighter Control*cough*

Have no worry, the FC Branch is a rising force in the RAF and becoming (has become) very influential in the warfighting career stream.

Good luck

FW

Tombstone
18th Jul 2006, 12:34
He's right however, they do it all from 80 ft underground or as an alternative, in a 707 that has no windows & flies round in circles over Newcastle! ;)

foldingwings
18th Jul 2006, 12:37
He's right however, they do it all from 80 ft underground or as an alternative, in a 707 that has no windows & flies round in circles over Newcastle! ;)

Needless comment, Tombstone, he likely knows that as do the rest of us. However, only the first tour has to be in the bunker and subsequent tours both in and out of the E-3 can be very rewarding and, later in your career, very influential.

FW

PS. Never done it and not FC but I know these things!

Tombstone
18th Jul 2006, 12:43
Ok ok, banter mode off!

On a serious note, it was always nice to hear a British voice respond when checking in with Magic whilst flying over the sandy stuff. They provide a far superior service than any other E3 operator IMHO.

TMJ
19th Jul 2006, 13:19
Oh, and the IOT break down (camera was easier than scanner). Don't ask me what half of those abbreviations are though, or what they entail - I plan on finding out what the things in terms 2 and 3 are when I'm there :}
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8393/iotcoursely8.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iotcoursely8.jpg)

The only TLAs I would expect to cause trouble are ESK = Essential Service Knowledge and SAA = Skill-at-Arms. I suppose NBC = Nuclear, Biological & Chemical might not be too common outside the Services either. The others are defined on the sheet.

Tombstone
19th Jul 2006, 13:34
Are you disappointed in not making the grade for Aircrew? Third choice was it?

Moi?

As per my profile, I am not FC and it was just banter movadinkampa747...:ugh:

Gwladys
19th Jul 2006, 19:40
Have no worry, the FC Branch is a rising force in the RAF and becoming (has become) very influential in the warfighting career stream.

Good luck

FW FW, are you on some sort of mind-altering drug? I think 'rising force' and 'very influential' is taking things a tad to the extreme isn't it? Would love to know the definition of 'warfighting career stream' as well. Let's be honest, the FCs on the E3 do a great job, but no better than the rest of the crew. To listen to (the majority) of them 'though, you'd think they single-handedly won every campaign in the last 20 years. Which is a shame, because it's making them about as popular as the Police. Thoughts on a postcard chap!!!:)
p.s. best of luck Stringy at IOT - it's nowhere near as bad as you expect it to be.

SirToppamHat
19th Jul 2006, 20:14
Tombstone and Foldingwings:
However, only the first tour has to be in the bunker

Bolleaux ...not any more it doesn't!

Hmmmmm ..... windows! Mind you, the last few days it's been more comfortable to be in the windowless ops room!

STH
Chien Noir

STANDTO
19th Jul 2006, 20:57
i had an IOT breakdown. 14 feb 1987, M55 at Preston junction. Rear offside tyre blew, and it turned out that the jack wouldn't fit. waited three bloody hours for the RAC. Had been up all night being sick, and arrived at IOT late, tired and fed up. Not the best start, and it went down hill from there.:}

Best tip - don't fall asleep in front of as yet not introduced flight commander in Whittle Hall.

Air Commodore Paterson - I really was truly sorry, and like to think I played a small part in your ultimate rise to airship!

:D

Tombstone
19th Jul 2006, 21:15
Hmmmmm ..... windows! Mind you, the last few days it's been more comfortable to be in the windowless ops room!

STH
Chien Noir
I accept that the 'new' CRC is above ground however, it is a secure building without windows upstairs which:

a) prevents FCs from jumping from first floor windows in order to save themselves from the endless boredom of watching the world go by, on a screen.

b) allows the rest of the RAF to go about its business, safe in the knowledge that the FCs won't be allowed out until the school bus arrives at 1700! ;)

Tombstone
19th Jul 2006, 21:19
FW, are you on some sort of mind-altering drug? I think 'rising force' and 'very influential' is taking things a tad to the extreme isn't it? Would love to know the definition of 'warfighting career stream' as well. Let's be honest, the FCs on the E3 do a great job, but no better than the rest of the crew. To listen to (the majority) of them 'though, you'd think they single-handedly won every campaign in the last 20 years. Which is a shame, because it's making them about as popular as the Police. Thoughts on a postcard chap!!!:)

p.s. best of luck Stringy at IOT - it's nowhere near as bad as you expect it to be.

Gwladys,

thankyou, I thought I was on my own for a while there!

JAG3
19th Jul 2006, 21:28
Are all these comments about FC's just friendly banter or is there some truth behind it, it's because I was seriously thinking of FC as a possible role as well as IO if I can't get aircrew.:ok:

Tombstone
19th Jul 2006, 21:32
I'm sure there are plenty of great guys in the branch, I just aint met any yet!

Plenty of totty though!:ok: