PDA

View Full Version : Licence validity in Spain

An Artificial Member
16th Jul 2006, 19:13
Hi folks

I'm off to Spain in the next few months with the intention of doing some flying while I'm there.

My question is that my licence is a UK CAA PPL that was issued in the early ninetys before JAA came about, that being the case, will It still be legal for me to rent a Spanish registered a/c and fly as P1 or would I need a JAR licence ?

Thanks in advance

AM

Keygrip
16th Jul 2006, 19:24
You certainly should not NEED a JAA licence - as the privilidges afforded by ICAO say you should be allowed to fly privately in any ICAO member state.

However, it's up to the Spanish Authorities as to what hoops you will need to jump through (if any) in order to rent a Spanish registered aircraft and fly it in Spanish airspace.

The opinions of anyone on this board are academic - it's only the Spanish equivalent of the CAA that can answer your question.

Google and e-mail time, me thinks.

172driver
16th Jul 2006, 20:22
AFAIK the answer is no. You can, however, get a 'certificate of recognition', vaild for about 9 months. Doesn't cost too much, but is a bit of a hassle: copy of logbook and license certified by public notary, then paperwork off to Madrid. Takes about 3 - 4 weeks. Where in Spain will you be going ?

An Artificial Member
16th Jul 2006, 20:54
172 driver

I'm off to Madrid.

The reason being, is that I start my IR course there at the end of October and had the Idea of doing some VFR flying myself, during my stay there.

AM

Flying surfer
16th Jul 2006, 21:19
I hold a PPL UK CAA licence and I can not fly in spain with that in fact i use my JAA CPL if i want fly privately as i would have to chnage my caa licence to a jaa.

172driver
17th Jul 2006, 06:37
AM, in this case your school should be able to sort you out. Suggest you call them and get the ball rolling, as it does take a bit to get the paperwork sorted.

Jamongris
17th Jul 2006, 08:16
Alas everyone is correct. According to my experience and what I have learnt since flying in Madrid, your license will not be valid in Spain. I also think this time of year three to four weeks to get any paperwork done may be optimistic.

Who are you going to be doing your course with? I fly regularly out of Cuatro Vientos, if you fancy a right seat trip around the area feel free to PM me.

Stan Evil
17th Jul 2006, 16:31
The simplest thing may well be just to get a JAA licence issued in the UK then you can use it in most of Europe without too much hassle. You can keep your original UK licence as well - the licence number stays the same - and certificates of revalidation can be slipped into whichever one you are using at the time. The CAA form you need is here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=452

I'm not sure of the cost but I think it's around £100 to £150

An Artificial Member
21st Jul 2006, 23:57
Just a quick update.... from official sources, UK PPL not valid whatsoever in Spain, unless verification issued (long and lengthly process and not worth bothering with ). to fly legally you must have JAA licence !!

AM