PDA

View Full Version : V-22s over London?

Dave Martin
16th Jul 2006, 18:07
Was it my imagination or did two V22s wih the ramps down fly over my garden at about 18:50 today? Headed north, then a few minutes later came back in the other direction.

lukeylad
16th Jul 2006, 18:24
There has been two of them at RIAT mate over the weekend.

AlanM
16th Jul 2006, 18:26
Nope - you are not going mad!!!

Fairford to farnborough via a flypast over a Bell-Boeing function on the Thames.

How many passes did they do and it what "flying mode" ?? (Heli/Aeroplane)

Dave Martin
16th Jul 2006, 18:58
Quite an unusual sight (and sound).

First two passes were in "aeroplane" mode, then a third much slower pass a while later in something close to helicopter mode and a looser formation, which confirmed they were V-22s.

Kinda tempted to buy one.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2006, 19:13
Come back the Fairey Rotodyne, all is forgiven!

treadigraph
16th Jul 2006, 21:55
Didn't come over Croydon did they? We were working on a bid in our office with blinds down against the sun (no air con on a Sunday) and I heard some noisy helicopters some time around then but because of the pressure to finish and get home I nobly resisted the temptation to raise the blinds and have a shufti - sad thing is that if they were Ospreys the others, who like seeing unusual flying machines, would have been as keen as I to have a gander...

Dave Martin
16th Jul 2006, 22:28
Not one to give two hoots about passing aircraft as we get airliners and police helicopters overhead all the time, but this did sound interesting.

Initially the noise was like a very low commercial airliner which was a surprise. Then the slight chop started and the fact that the sound wasn't coming closer particularly quickly got the interest going. It was quite a sight especially as they flew almost directly overhead and not high.

batfink2
17th Jul 2006, 07:49
I was pleased as bunch! After the wife grounded me for the weekend I didn't attend RIAT. This put me in a mardy mood all weekend - until around 1830 last night when the Osprey's did a low and slow direct over my house! How chuffed was I?!?!?

REF
17th Jul 2006, 15:58
batfink2

The lnk below shows one of my photos taken yesterday at Fairford of the Osprey

http://www.richardflagg.fotopic.net/p31718770.html

Rick

batfink2
18th Jul 2006, 11:08
Cheers Rick. I'm hoping to steam down to Farnborough later this week to see the show (from a mates bedroom window)

possel
18th Jul 2006, 11:55
Didn't come over Croydon did they? We were working on a bid in our office with blinds down against the sun (no air con on a Sunday) and I heard some noisy helicopters some time around then but because of the pressure to finish and get home I nobly resisted the temptation to raise the blinds and have a shufti - sad thing is that if they were Ospreys the others, who like seeing unusual flying machines, would have been as keen as I to have a gander...

Depends exactly where you are. They were flying east-ish over Richmond Park or Wimbledon when I first saw them (from SE1!) and they turned around somewhere towards Crystal Palace then went probably over Wandsworth and Waterloo, and carried on north from there.

treadigraph
20th Jul 2006, 22:26
Cheers Possel - would have seen them if we'd had the blinds up (I have an excellent view of the T5 roof and the new ATC from my eerie high over Croydon's Whitgift Centre), but doubt would have heard them... Must have been something more usual that I heard. But then again...