PDA

View Full Version : Help sought from those in the know

J_W
16th Jul 2006, 12:54
I am considering applying to the RAF as NCA and had a couple of questions I didn`t think were appropriate to ask the AFCO, so i thought i`d stick them on here and see if anyone could help.

Firstly, are there any upper age limits for serving aircrew i.e official/unofficial retirement ages?

Secondly, I remember reading a few years ago about NCA getting quite large payments to stay beyond their initial length of service. It made me a bit suspicious that perhaps there was a good reason for people not wanting to stay on! Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Lastly, are there any civilian aviation jobs that use the skills and experience of NCA?

Any comments/answers/suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Guernsey Girl II
16th Jul 2006, 13:55
J W

Check your PMs

ratty1
16th Jul 2006, 14:58
55yrs is the retirement age of all Aircrew in the RAF unless you can get an extension. Most people in the RAF are paid bonuses at various points in their career. If you dont like the thought of living in the desert or being posted to Kinloss then dont bother joining. Although, I dont think Kinloss would bother you too much looking at your location.
As for civvy street if you want to be a pilot then join as a pilot if you want a job in civillian aviation then get a job in civvy aviation. Only you can make the decision to join as NCA. If you want to know information on pay then look here >>>>>>AFPRB<<<<<< (http://www.ome.uk.com/downloads/2005%20Thirty-Fourth%20Report%202005.pdf)
It will give much information on pay and retention bonuses.