PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft ratings?

PPL-Trainee
16th Jul 2006, 11:23
Afternoon all!

Maybe i sound a little stupid, but if i wanted to fly a PA28 after gaining a PPL, and i head to a local flying club and get a check out with an instructor, would that be known as a PA28 rating? Or are ratings for larger aircraft?

Many thanks,

PPL-Trainee

Keygrip
16th Jul 2006, 12:02
Technically, legally (whatever), for LIGHT aircraft they fall into rating groups - called "Class Ratings".

Single Engine Piston (Land)
Single Engine Piston (Sea)
Multi Engine Piston (Land)
Multi Engine Piston (Sea).

I'll not discuss seaplanes - as I know bugger all about their regulations.

Landplanes - for JAA purposes (at least under the interpretation of the UK CAA) passing a PPL flight test in any single engine piston (SEP) will allow you to fly any other SEP with the exception of the Piper Malibu (which requires an individual type rating).

It would, however, be foolhardy to jump into a make/model that you have never flown before and take it for a fly "just because you can". You should have somebody point out the differences between it and the one you are familiar with.

Any aircraft that has retractable undercarriage, variable pitch propellor(s), pressurisation, turbocharged engines or a tailwheel instead of a nosewheel requires "official differences training" from an instructor - who should then sign you log book to indicate that you have had the training.

All multi engine aircraft (MEP) are technically under the one group - but the UK interpretation of JAA says that you should have "differences training" on each and every make/model of MEP - even if moving from a Seneca 2 to a Seneca 3 for example (though that training will be quite short).

The piston Malibu, all aircraft with (a) turbine engine(s) and all aircraft designated as requiring at least two pilots require individual TYPE ratings - for which you have to go on an official course and take a test.

Hope that helps.

PPL-Trainee
16th Jul 2006, 20:52
Hope that helps.

Yes Keygrip! It does! Thank you!

<<edit: That's ma job, Sir. That's ma job.
(Been in America too long?)>>

FullyFlapped
17th Jul 2006, 10:16
Keygrip :
Any aircraft that has retractable undercarriage, variable pitch propellor(s), pressurisation, turbocharged engines or a tailwheel instead of a nosewheel requires "official differences training" from an instructor
In respect of the turbocharging, is this true ? I've heard this before, but can't find a legal reference to it ?

Not trying to be smart-a*sed, just like to know the facts !! :)

FF :ok:

Stan Evil
17th Jul 2006, 16:21
This is a quote from LASORS

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf

It should be noted that when changing to different
types, or variants of types, that fall within the single-pilot
single-engine piston (SEP) class rating, the Differences
Training is specifically required to encompass
particular ‘complex’ features with which the new type or
variant may be equipped. These features are:-
• Variable Pitch (VP) Propellers
• Retractable Undercarriage
• Turbo/Super-charged Engines
• Cabin Pressurisation
• Tail-Wheel

<<edit: Thanks, Stan, I knew somebody would answer it if I kept quiet - keeps the conversation bubbling. Sorry to ignore you FF.>>

FullyFlapped
17th Jul 2006, 21:16
Interesting ... thanks !

AWYRCYMRY
17th Jul 2006, 23:29
I asked my instructor/CFI that aswell, he said because all the light aircraft like PA-28 - C-150 - ROBIN2120 all fly virtually the same and you dont have to worry about very technical and very difficult start up procedures. Most of them have the same engine but obviously when it come to the straight and level ETC ETC part of flying them they will be different. i have flown 6 types of aircraft allready and i have only got 26HOURS under my belt,
C-150/PA-28/C-172/Robin2120/Bulldog/Diamond DA-40... all very similar to fly appart from the DIAMOND it had GLASSCOCKPIT easy to fly and nice and easy to land, the GPS was easy to use as well. if you get the chance EVER try and get a ride in one or just have a sit in the cockpit LUXURIOS...:ok:;) ;)