PDA

View Full Version : 757 Fuel Flap

TimV
16th Jul 2006, 02:26
A question for flight crew:

I was a passenger on a 757 about to take off from one of the Greek Islands a couple of weeks back. We had taxied to the end of the runway ready for take off. Strangely the flaps were then retracted and the Captain came over the pa to say that one of the cabin crew had noticed that the fuel filler flap on the right hand wing had popped open. We were returning to the terminal to get this closed. 10 mins later we were taxiing back down for take off. The Captain announced that this had been a "good call" by the crew member as had we got airborne this would have damaged the aircraft.

My question is this: how much damage would this realistically have caused? Would it simply have torn the flap off its hinges or worse could this have potentially caused a crash?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Brian Fantana
16th Jul 2006, 13:30
Flap would have been torn off

Chesty Morgan
16th Jul 2006, 13:49
In typical newsreader sensationalisim Mr Fantana:ugh:

No it wouldn't! Every type I've flown has the refuelling panel "flap" hinged at the front. Therefore the resultant airflow would actually keep it closed. Correct me if I'm wrong here 757 chaps, but I assume the same can be said of the 757.

I suspect that the Captain, as I would, returned to stand in case any damage had occured prior to take off. As you can't see the panel from where I sit I'd want it looked at first...just in case.

Dr Illitout
17th Jul 2006, 12:46
All the wing fueling station panels I've come across are hinged at the front, so in theory they will be held shut by the forward airflow. BUT when reverse thrust is applied, thats when dammage will proberbly occur. As for the flaps tearing them off, I'm not sure. The ones I've seen come mighty close so I won't risk flap operation with one open!!

Rgds Dr I

TURIN
19th Jul 2006, 10:27
Except the earlier A320s of course that ridiculously have it hinged at the top.:ugh:

All good fun with the speed tape when one gets damaged or torn off.:{

blue up
19th Jul 2006, 15:15
Front hinged, big over-centre spring. Would have blown mostly-shut. Little damage to be done although might have had some odd aerodynamic effects. Potable water and honey-wagon flaps are frequently left undone.

Standard call to ground crew for us goes....."Confirm all doors and hatches closed and secure...and all ground equipment removed from the aircraft..." but things still get missed!:ugh:

Daysleeper
20th Jul 2006, 15:40
an air start panel on a lockheed electra caused a crash in the 80's

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Airlines_Lockheed_Electra_188_disaster)

NY Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE7DE123CF936A25752C0A960948260)

misd-agin
20th Jul 2006, 17:49
an air start panel on a lockheed electra caused a crash in the 80's

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Airlines_Lockheed_Electra_188_disaster)

NY Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE7DE123CF936A25752C0A960948260)

Read the NY Times link. Failure to fly the a/c caused the crash. Distracted by vibration from an open access panel. The panel didn't cause the crash.

NW3
6th Aug 2006, 12:18
Most likely all the fuel would have gushed out over a school and set on fire.

NW3

fescalised portion
6th Aug 2006, 18:40
I would think it that would be extremely difficult to see the fuelling panel hanging down on the right wing leading edge, especially with the flaps/slats in the take-off configuration. I think a more likely explanation is that the over-wing gravity fill port had maybe popped open, then again though, you would have seen someone on top of the wing physically closing it, so who knows....

Swedish Steve
7th Aug 2006, 06:59
All the wing fueling station panels I've come across are hinged at the front, so in theory they will be held shut by the forward airflow. BUT when reverse thrust is applied, thats when dammage will proberbly occur. As for the flaps tearing them off, I'm not sure. The ones I've seen come mighty close so I won't risk flap operation with one open!!
Rgds Dr I
I once met a B737 where the wing refuel panel had been left open on departure. The hold open rods were broken, but otherwise it was still intact.
On all Boeings, the Slats will move up and down and they miss the open refuel panel.
But leave an A320 refuel panel open and it will depart. They are hinged at the bottom and hang down when open. Nowadays if one is damaged we have to remove it and cover the hole with speedtape. Leaving it in place, covered with speedtape is not an option any more.