PDA

View Full Version : 747-8 picture series

HowlingWind
15th Jul 2006, 22:08
The BBC is featuring a combination of artistic renditions and wind tunnel test photos of the 747-8, said to be destined for release in Freighter version in 2009 and in "Intercontinental" pax version in 2010. I found the "skyloft" concept to be interesting. The photo series says the space exists on todays 747s though it is not publicly used ("the most expensive real estate in the world") but in the new version it "could be converted into smoking rooms, lounges, bunks or shops." OK, we'll see... :rolleyes:

It's currently on the BBC web front page at news.bbc.co.uk. I don't know how long it will stay there, so I am posting a direct link to the photo series here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/technology_jumbo_overhaul/html/1.stm). I didn't see anything else on the BBC site today that discussed this aeroplane.

ExSimGuy
16th Jul 2006, 03:50
And Boing were saying there was no market for bigger aircraft?

I can envisage that "skyloft" accomodating another 50 pax in Y class, and having the same capacity as the 380 - as long as they can get the emergency evac sorted.

Nice pics, and the "increasing dihedral as you go outwards" is either novel, or ground-breaking!

As for the last pic in the series - I know we are always told that distances are a lor greater than they look, but surely that's a bit less than standard separation? :E