PDA

View Full Version : Level 310 by Exmor

G-SPOTs Lost
14th Jul 2006, 21:04
Good evening all,

Zipping along at FL400 on 864 the other day minding my own business, all was well with the world, 15 knot tailwind miserly fuel flows, no pax so a late descent planned, anticipating to be level 200 10 b4 monty. Then I get a decend now 310 level exmor. Which was 250 track miles short of my destination.

When I politely queried if this was a new restriction, I was told March was when it was implemented and it was due to a higher sector commencing fl310+.

So the question is that although Exmor coincides with UM140 which is an east west airway why could I not have remained at high level for another say 130 miles !!!

I've seen the rather passionate thread about so called "secret" gates etc so please be assured Im not having a go, but surely if the hi level sector is there and I'm hi level...........?

Thanx in advance

30W
15th Jul 2006, 11:34
It's because the whole process is based upon certain traffic flows (CC inbounds for example) being treated in a standard way, and as part of the planned workload of a particular sector.

Tactically, and workload wise there might not have been anything at all stopping you from staying at FL400, however as soon as the system goes 'non standard' it raises many issues and possible problems, both workload and human factor based. We have SOP's, because it standardises things, allows operation to be 'normal' and predictable, allows colleagues to know what to expect and be able to monitor etc. All of these reduce workload. The ATC SA's serve exactly the same function - to stray can break down many taken for granted HF functions.

As a pilot, at times I think we all find some of these restrictions a 'pain' and wastefull. However the key is in the capacity the whole system can offer, and this is by far at it's greatest when our profiles are standardised. The whole thing is one big sausage machine, a very efficient and effective one at that.

I'm sure an ATCO from the 'Westend' will be able to help you more than I on the matter though - hopefully one will contribute.....

30W

Carbide Finger
15th Jul 2006, 13:34
I'm presuming that you were i/b EGNM? The normal standing agreement is FL330 level EXMOR. This is an S/A to keep you underneath the new high sector, Sector 35.

I can't comment on the traffic levels or mix for your time throught the sectors, but it is very easy to have conflictions at this level and have to get you to a lower level.

The whole reason that this situation has arisen is to fit more traffic through the airspace. EGLLs through STU now come from Shannon at FL330, EGBBs through BHD at FL300 etc etc. Without wishing to start any arguments, FL400 and a very late descent might be great for you but as soon as we make one exception.......

Regards

CF