PDA

View Full Version : Left Seat P1

Nr_Droop
14th Jul 2006, 20:30
Does anyone know the rules regarding flying from the left seat as P1 in an R22 if both on board hold a PPL(H) in the UK? It has been suggested that you need an instructor rating to fly from the left seat, but I can't find anything documented in LASORS, so would appreciate any of your views.

Thanks.

NrD

Camp Freddie
14th Jul 2006, 20:45
in the scenario you mention the person that signs the tech log is the P1.

that person can sit either side.

if you are hiring the a/c the school may want you to be checked out left seat though.

thats it

regards

CF

Twiddle
14th Jul 2006, 20:49
This is my opinion and not backed up by proof.....

You can't fly solo from the left seat (that's for sure), but as far as flying otherwise from the left seat I don't believe there's an issue (except that the other pilot in the right seat will wonder if you really can actually fly the first time you try it, it's more different than you'd think, especially lifting, hovering and landing, straight and level is no problem).

But then I'm told by instructors that flying from the right seat seems weird for them, so maybe it's the devil you know?

However I flew a Rotorway the other day from the left seat and it seemed just like being at home so go figure...

Camp Freddie
14th Jul 2006, 20:55
the only reason you cant fly an R22 solo from the left seat is C of G.

i.e. you are exceeding a/c limitations,

you could on any type that does not specifically ban the practice, subject to C of G.

the question is, "why would you want to ?" as you would need to operate radios etc with left hand from left, or switch cyclic to left hand,then do radios etc with right hand

regards

CF

Twiddle
14th Jul 2006, 21:03
You're not wrong there, I appreciated the pain that my FI went through when I flew from the left seat, nothing was to hand (at least, not to the correct hand anyhow).

I started trying to fly left hand cyclic but that's a bit weird too (hate to get a failure with the wrong hand on the wheel!!!)

Nr_Droop
14th Jul 2006, 21:48
the question is, "why would you want to ?" as you would need to operate radios etc with left hand from left, or switch cyclic to left hand,then do radios etc with right hand

Sheer curiosity, that's all. Ended up in a huge debate with someone on this subject and as we couldn't find the answer in any publications I thought I'd get some more opinions!

NrD

Oogle
15th Jul 2006, 05:50
I don't think LASORS is the place to look for your answer.

The limitations section of the flight manual should be your first port of call. Not having flown the Robbo for a long time, I can't recall if it states that the PIC must occupy the right hand seat or not.

robsrich
15th Jul 2006, 06:15
Just a thought.

Section 6, Weight & Balance - Loading Instructions. Says pilot in RHS seat and pax on LHS.

Now you will need to read the fine print in the insurance policy - it may say it is OK for an instructor/supervisor to be in the LHS seat; but not otherwise.

Each country has different rules; and the insurance fine print may need an assessement.

A phone call should be able to put your mind at rest.

I have watched a few court cases; and what those lawyers can dig up to make you look "soggy" is amazing.

But that is their job. It sounds as if you are having some fun.