PDA

View Full Version : Deaf in one ear

737cap2b
14th Jul 2006, 19:39
Hi,

I am wanting to do a JAA ATPL. (I am 18 at the moment).

I am completely deaf in my left ear (since i was born - so there is no problems with balance etc and I no that i need to turn my head to hear what people say) and my hearing in my right is 110%. Do you think this will cause problems to get to my dream job?

Thanks in Advance

christhevan
14th Jul 2006, 20:33
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but i would have thought it is pretty unlikely. not 100% sure though..

Chris

2close
15th Jul 2006, 14:45
The UK CAA Class One medical audiometry is carried out at six frequencies at differing dB levels on BOTH ears.

Saying that, if you have perfect hearing in the one ear, I can't see why you shouldn't be granted a medical. Glancing through the JAA Manual of Civil Aviation Medicine - Chapter 14 Aviation Otorhinolaryngology - Section 4, unless I've misread it (and I admit I have not read it in depth) it appears that you may also be able to undertake an optional speech test, taken simultaneously in BOTH ears. I've provided the link below so you can read through it yourself.

http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/manual/14%20-%20ORL.pdf

The best thing to do (after reading the above) would be to call the CAA and ask them - just make sure you put the phone on the right ear (;) Sorry, couldn't resist that!).

Seriously though, I would be very interested to learn their response.

HTH

2close

747dreamliner
16th Jul 2006, 10:36
I almost have the same problem with my right ear. You can see that in my previous posts, but the answers were so controvertial that I didnt dare to continue. PLz let me know your result.
Best of luck