PDA

View Full Version : Am i too big??

christhevan
14th Jul 2006, 10:16
Hey,

Just a few questions i have, I'm currenty 16 (almost 17) so i'm starting collage this september, after which i will probably go to OAT, if i can get the medical. I'm 6ft 4 at the moment (haven't grow now for 6 months or so, so i think/hope i'm not going to get any taller) is it fesable for me to be a pilot even if i did get upto 6ft 5? i.e are there any height limits? also, i'm 20 stone so am in Class 1 medical boundaries, if not, what are they? (in the process of losing weight now, and before i get slated by anyone, i've lost 3 stone already!!). I have no other health problems whatsoever, just my height and weight were worrying me..

Cheers guys!

Chris

Jimmy The Big Greek
14th Jul 2006, 12:09
Just some info for you. You stop growing at 21. So maybe you get a inch.
But that should not be of a problem.
I am about 6´4 and I have no problems so far.

They way I see it you may encounter two problems.

You may not fit in some aircrafts. I have about 1600 hours in various aircrafts and so far I have not ecountered any problems due to my height although I think I may run in to problems if I would fly a learjet or a metro.
I am not only tall but also heavy built. Did ones spin training in a cessna 152 acrobatic with an instructor. The instructor almost sufficated when I pushed him against the window :E

For employment you may run in to problems with legacy airlines like BA, lufthansa, air france etc, if you are over 6´4.
On the other hand if you would apply while having widebody (heavy jet) experience I doubt that they would remark on your height.

Basicly I wouldn't worry so much about the height unless you absolutely want to fly for BA.

Good luck with your flying career and may the force be with you :)

christhevan
14th Jul 2006, 12:36
Cheers Jimmy! Very much appreciated...

i personally think that i have reached my max height, as i was always the tallest in my class and i think i finished growing height wise much younger than most, and i havent needed bigger shoes (than size 12) for 2 years now which is a good indicator that i'm not growing anymore, but we shall see :}

As most with most people that enjoy flying, i don't care who it's for! :ok: Just can't wait to start my OAT!!!!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Chris

helen0888
18th Jul 2006, 20:32
Is there a chart somewhere on the net that states what the ideal weight is for a persons height?

A2QFI
18th Jul 2006, 20:49
Helen
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/bmiimperial_index.shtml
This link will take you to a chart where you can calculate your body mass index - I think 20 is about right; I know mine is just the wrong side of 30 which is BAD!
Years ago there was a very small 747 captain (Female) who flew for an American airline that has long gone, it may have become Fedex. She was 5 ft 4 ins and had no trouble. Good luck with your flying career if you decide to follow one!

Jimmy The Big Greek
19th Jul 2006, 00:52
Helen you should contact your family doctor. I know there are hormones that can help you grow a couple of inches.

Just let me tell you a story. We had a guy in the the flight school that was very short. He had also to use cushions on the seat. We all thought that no airline would hire him.

He got hired by an airline flying 737. He was actually one of the firsts that got hired from our class.

Anyway good luck to you,

alwayzinit
19th Jul 2006, 22:12
Chris

If it makes you feel better an ole pal of mine flies for Britflot and is 6'7'' tall so by his terms you're only a tiddler!

If anyone gives you a tough time get them to put you in whatever a/c you are going to train in/ fly and get measured (if its a Boeing you will fit)

The problem is not the aircraft more like the uniform suppliers.

Best of luck (you big tree!!):E

Alwayz

christhevan
20th Jul 2006, 19:33
Chris

If it makes you feel better an ole pal of mine flies for Britflot and is 6'7'' tall so by his terms you're only a tiddler!

If anyone gives you a tough time get them to put you in whatever a/c you are going to train in/ fly and get measured (if its a Boeing you will fit)

The problem is not the aircraft more like the uniform suppliers.

Best of luck (you big tree!!):E

Alwayz

Hahaha, nice one :ok:

Just need to loose weight now;- cutting out all carbs, having a small brekfast, no lunch, and small dinner, with rigourus exercise, lost on average 1/2 a pound a day over the past 2 weeks :E

Cheers,
Chris

cruisercruiser
16th Oct 2006, 18:43
Just let me tell you a story. We had a guy in the the flight school that was very short. He had also to use cushions on the seat. We all thought that no airline would hire him.

He got hired by an airline flying 737. He was actually one of the firsts that got hired from our class.

Anyway good luck to you,

How short was he by the way? I'm 5'4 short and was adviced to go for a fitting with OAT. For more infor on this topic :http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245180

Cheers

foxmoth
17th Oct 2006, 10:06
Either short or tall the only real problem (unless way beyond the norm) will be if you want to join the services.:ok:

christhevan
17th Oct 2006, 19:04
I'm 6'5" and the only tricky thing I've found is with the shoe size. With bigger feet its really easy to land with a small amount of pressure on the toe brakes. After you've done it a few times however, you'll find it will become a memory item on final approach:E

Thanks for the info, it's useful to know other people can manage at my height :)