PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lt Steve Keen

Klingon
11th Jul 2006, 18:17
Just heard on the local news that Flt Lt Steve Keen has been murdered, stabbed apparrently.
Dont know the details but commiserations to his family, he was an honest man who lived for the Service.
RIP!

Paat
11th Jul 2006, 18:30
Likewise, have just heard the shocking news on the TV. Flew with Steve many times over the years including Somalia back in 1993. What a really nice guy, professional operator and a true gent. Deepest sympathies to his family.

airborne_artist
11th Jul 2006, 18:48
Particularly horrible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5167780.stm

Confucius
11th Jul 2006, 18:52
Shocking.

I worked with him for many year at Lyneham a while back. A very pleasant, professional and likeable chap.

R.I.P.

Codolences to all his family, friends and colleagues at this tragic turn of events.

The Gorilla
11th Jul 2006, 18:57
What a waste, Steve was a top man, an honest gentleman and a gem to work with. My condolences to his family.

Don Coyote
11th Jul 2006, 19:02
Dreadful news. I flew with him many times and he was a thoroughly good bloke, my sympathies are with his family.

Where R We?
11th Jul 2006, 21:59
Just seen this. What a waste. My condolences to the family.

A nicer man you would be hard to find, his support on the squadron was brilliant.

RIP Steve...

Kev Nurse
11th Jul 2006, 22:27
Steve and I were crewed up together for 4 months at Port Stanley Airfield in '84. I shall never forget the way he looked after me and the 3 other guys throughout a very hard time. His cheerful, can-do attitude set an example for all of us to follow. He would diligently sit for many hours in the back of our Herc tanker over the S Atlantic watching the 4 boiler gauges in the internal tanks go down, ensuring that I was immediately info'd of anything unusual. On the ground, in PSA and Ascension, his propensity to acquire creature comforts for the crew was something to behold. We'd be sitting in a portacabin on QRA feeling a bit peckish and Steve would open his bag and produce, in his words, "A fresh tin of strawberries", procurred from an army pantry on the promise of a flight in Albert (which was always honoured). What a guy! He was the most professional ALM I ever flew with and I am completely horrified and saddened by this awful news. My thoughts are with his family. If anyone knows when/where the funeral will be held, I would be most grateful to be info'd of the details.
Kev Nurse

DesertStormRat
11th Jul 2006, 22:29
RIP,memories dim ,but you won't be forgotten.

November4
11th Jul 2006, 22:39
Loaded many aircraft for Steve when I was in as a Mover. A true proffessional and a genuinely nice bloke.

What a tragic waste.

RIP

Tigs2
11th Jul 2006, 23:32
I knew Steve
Why? Why? Why?
To all his family and friends, please accept my sincere condolences.

flipster
12th Jul 2006, 01:54
What a senseless and horrific act!

Steve was the most highly respected of ALMs who was always ready to help and advise; he will be sorely missed.

My most heartfelt condolenences to his family. Words are not enough!

God Bless

Flip

Tigs2
12th Jul 2006, 02:19
Flip
Aweful thing!
PM me
Tigs

MechGov
12th Jul 2006, 04:05
Steve, God bless mate. I will raise a glass tonight.

500days2do
12th Jul 2006, 06:32
Total disbelief on hearing the news.Thoughts and condolences to the family.A really nice guy.

5d2d

Overtorques Slave
12th Jul 2006, 07:53
What a great shame. Overtorque and I only saw Steve a few weeks back when he visited the station. He was talking about retirement - locksmithing, wasn't it?

We both flew many trips with him and really enjoyed his company. There was always a smile.

Our thoughts are with his family.

Keith and Inga

dalek
12th Jul 2006, 08:12
I worked regularly with Steve in Lyneham Ops 97 - 99. A good operator and a complete gent.

scroggs
12th Jul 2006, 08:40
RIP Steve. Sometimes the world just sucks. I hope his family are OK and getting help to cope - condolences to you; it must be a horrible, horrible time.

propulike
12th Jul 2006, 12:36
Shocking news - absolutely shocking. I've happy memories of working with Steve, both in the air and on the ground. He was one of the good guys.

My heartfelt condolences go out to those affected. What a tragic event.

Razor61
12th Jul 2006, 14:47
Condolences to the family and friends. Particularly tragic as it happened a few hundred yards from my house.

higgy
12th Jul 2006, 15:25
Deeply saddened to hear of Steve's death. I was lucky to fly with him many times at Lyneham and I have always thought of him as one of lifes true gentlemen.
RIP
Higgy

Inginear
12th Jul 2006, 17:57
I was on IOT with Steve, he really was one of the best. He was a true gent and a good friend. I was shocked to hear the news. My heartfelt condolences to the family. He may be lost to us but he will never be forgotten.

RIP

Elanman
12th Jul 2006, 19:24
Shocked and saddened to hear this. I had the pleasure of working with Steve towards the end of my time at Lyneham and he was indeed a true gent. My sincere condolences to his family.

fill_n_d
12th Jul 2006, 23:32
Steve was my first Boss on the ALM section at LXX Sqn, he never failed to impress with his knowledge of the trade or airforce in general; he always encouraged you to achieve your maximum and was constantly there when you needed advice wether professional or of a personal nature. Steve you will be missed greatly, condolences to your family and may you RIP.

yellow tool box
13th Jul 2006, 03:50
I was shockened and saddened to hear the news of Steves sudden death. His smiling face and chearful disposition where always a welcome sight during my many hours travelling in the back of Albert. Steve was a true professional but above all a gentleman. My sincerest condolences to his family.

TheWizard
13th Jul 2006, 20:59
Just found this thread and had to read it twice to believe it. Steve was one of my first ALM leaders on 47 and was a true gentleman and a great boss. Have great memories of hopping on the ferry to Dublin to watch the rugby internationals with the gang.
I feel physically sickened to read of his murder. What a senseless and tragic waste of life.
My deepest condolences.

You will be missed very much Steve. RIP my friend.

TheInquisitor
13th Jul 2006, 22:11
I had the pleasure of spending some drinking time with Steve during a STANEVAL visit to MPA last year. A true professional and a bloody nice bloke as well. His lockpicking skills were legendary - he taught me how to 'crack' a simplex lock in 30 seconds!

I do hope the b@stard responsible for this is strung up and allowed to die slowly - what an utter, senseless waste.

RIP Steve.

mr ripley
14th Jul 2006, 12:41
Steve was one of the nicest gentlemen, that I have had the pleasure to fly with. He was a caring Boss for his section on LXX Sqn and was always helping out on the Sqn behind the scenes, at social occasions. A top bloke and a top locksmith too.

It saddens me to write about him in the past tense.

RIP Steve.

Smudger
14th Jul 2006, 20:21
I was the co-pilot on the constituted crew with Kev Nurse and Steve Keen on the C130 during the Falklands campaign and the subsequent years of Air Bridge operations between Ascension and Stanley. I am stunned by the news of his death. I wholeheartedly endorse everything that Kev said about Steve and although I had not kept in touch with him in recent years I still find it a shock as we all spent such a long period of time together as a crew. If anybody can provide details of when and where the funeral is to take place then I would very much appreciate a PM, thank you. My sincere condolances to all those close to Steve. I will probably post my anecdotal memories of my time with him as a crew colleague at a later date.

TacTrucker
16th Jul 2006, 19:42
Another of life's true gentlemen needlessly departing the game early. A tragic waste. Condolences to Steve's family.

Grateful for a PM with details of the funeral.

Keen Family
21st Jul 2006, 09:25
On behalf of myself and the rest of the Keen family I would like to thank you all for your kind words. It has been a comfort to the family to read these messages and to know that my dad was well regarded by those who knew him.

Funeral details are as follows:

The funeral service will be held at St Michaels Church, Lyneham at 1:30pm on Friday July 28, followed by private cremation.

Family flowers only please but donations in lieu to The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund.
All enquiries to Maslin Funeral Service, 118a High St, Wootton Bassett, SN4 7AU. Tel 01793 848700

chappie
22nd Jul 2006, 09:57
hello, chappie here. i am so so sorry for the devastating loss and bewilderment that you will feel as a family through these dark days.

i did not have the priviledge of knowing steve but having had the honour of visiting lyneham and losing my brother , who was part of the community, i know that the loss will be felt far and wide and my thoughts also are with the station at this time.

my brother, bob o'connor, was one of the crew on XV179 , who lost his life on 30 jan 05. the sense of loss is beyond words and the pain so raw it takes all your will to keep breathing. be kind to yourselves , do not be strong, just do what you need to get through this time. it's a case of taking baby steps one minute, one hour, one day at a time. you can always PM me if there is anything i can do, or offer, please.as an intensive care nurse i deal with the pain, so please do not hesitate to ask for help. military is still your family, if you need anyhting i'll do my best. i'm sure that bob and the boys will have a cold beer waiting in the great bar in the sky.

mad eng
22nd Jul 2006, 21:10
Senseless, utterly senseless!!
Steve you will not be forgotten, one of lifes genuine stars.
Thank you for the memories.......RIP

Neil

seafuryfan
22nd Jul 2006, 22:21
May I, on behalf of the rotary ALM cadre, express our sincere condolences for the shocking loss of a good and well respected man.

RIP

doris day
23rd Jul 2006, 19:10
Gone but never forgotten

Follow Me Through
23rd Jul 2006, 19:45
Former colleague, nice bloke, always keen to help, ex neighbour in Duncan St - so sorry for his family trying to make sense of this. My thoughts are with you.
My abiding memory would be from 1989 when he was doing my ground cat - I think we did more laughing than work.

Smudger
28th Jul 2006, 21:32
Attended Steve's funeral today. Fitting sendoff, what can I say. Our thoughts are with his family and all those close to him. Cheers Steve, we will remember you forever with affection and a smile.

Strawbs_Albert_fixer
3rd Aug 2006, 03:00
The loss of a very much admired and respected person, I had flown with Steve on many occasions and saw him a few times at Aldershot whilst he was on his locksmiths course. What a triadic end for a man who still had plenty to offer. I was unable to attend the funeral due to work, but Dutch said that Steve had a good send off.

Our thoughts are with his family and all those close to him.:(

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
2nd Oct 2007, 17:43
Original thread locked (why?)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234260&highlight=Steve+Keen

from the Times Online

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article2570496.ece

Friends Reunited romance led to lover’s fatal stabbing

Simon de Bruxelles

An RAF officer who resumed his relationship with his childhood sweetheart after 35 years was stabbed to death by her jealous husband, a court was told.

Flight Lieutenant Stephen Keen and Susan Matta fell in love after contacting each other via the Friends Reunited internet site. They left their spouses but, within eight days of setting up home together in Tiverton, Devon, Mr Keen was dead.

Mrs Matta told Exeter Crown Court that she had been living with her Italian husband, Franco, in Sardinia when she made contact with Mr Keen. The couple had had a three-year relationship as teenagers, which ended when Mr Keen joined the RAF. Both were in their fifties when they met again.

Mrs Matta said that she had left her husband after Mr Keen told her that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. They agreed to live together despite not having seen each other since they were classmates at grammar school in Devon. But Mr Matta, a chef who lived in England for 30 years before moving to Sardinia in 2003, tracked them down within a week of their setting up a home in Tiverton.

Mrs Matta, 53, said that her husband demanded €50,000 (£34,840) to call off a Mafia hitman he claimed to have hired to kill Mr Keen. Her new partner told him that he refused to be intimidated. She added: “Franco said Steve would spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder. Steve said he would not live in fear and that he had enjoyed a good life and if it was to end now, so be it. He was not intimidated.

“He said he was going to the police and Franco got up and said, ‘No, you can’t do that’ and went towards him. Franco said his own life was over and if Steve were killed I would feel the same as he did and suffer as he was suffering.

“I thought there would be a sort of scuffle at the most then I heard Steve say, ‘Sue, he’s got a knife’.”

She tried to pull her husband away and then left the room to dial 999.
When she came back, blood was gushing from Mr Keen’s neck. She said: “I held Steve and applied a towel to try to staunch the bleeding. There was blood four foot up the walls and on the sofa and the carpet. Blood was pumping out of the right-hand side of Steve’s neck. Franco was so covered in blood all I could see were his eyes. It was like the worst horror movie you could ever imagine.”

Martin Meeke, QC, for the prosecution, said that as Mr Matta made his way from Sardinia to England via Milan, Locarno and Paris in a hired van, he had sent his estranged wife a postcard. It said: “I cannot stop thinking of you. You are the blood in my veins.” He said that the killing had been carefully planned and that Mr Matta had brought with him from Sardinia a knife, a can of petrol, rope, tape and a pickaxe handle.

Mr Matta denies murder. He admits killing Mr Keen but says that he was suffering from severe depression and should be found guilty of manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility.

Mr Meeke said: “It was not depression but revenge which drove this man to the cold-blooded killing of the man for whom his wife had left him.”

The trial continues.

On the BBC too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7022409.stm

mit photo

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41875000/jpg/_41875158_203longkeen.jpg

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
3rd Oct 2007, 20:11
The trial continues

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7026561.stm

Day 4

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7028569.stm

And more...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7036491.stm

ZH875
18th Apr 2008, 14:08
Francesco Matta has been found guilty of Steve's murder

Details here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7354873.stm)

RIP Steve.

propulike
18th Apr 2008, 14:20
Thanks for posting the update. RIP Steve.

c130jbloke
18th Apr 2008, 17:18
I had the honour of serveing with Steve on both 47 and LXX. I only hope the black eye on that scumbag's face was from him as he went down fighting :*

RIP Steve, gone but never forgotten. As for you Matta, burn in hell you peice of §hit.

2port
19th Apr 2008, 12:12
I agree Strongbow, how much more pre-meditated could it have been.

Disgraceful.

RIP Steve.

2P