PDA

View Full Version : Farnboro Interntl and FIS

Pianorak
11th Jul 2006, 16:26
I’ll be flying down to Old Sarum tomorrow, routing EGLM - CPT – Chilbolton to give NOTM’d airspace restrictions a wide berth. Should one bother Farnboro for the usual FIS or might they prefer to be left in peace during what I assume to be a hectic fortnight. :rolleyes:

rustle
11th Jul 2006, 16:38
I'd speak to them if I was in the area and wanted FIS.

They'll be pleased to speak to you I'm sure, even if just to confirm you're outside their TRA ;)

MichaelJP59
11th Jul 2006, 20:40
Does anyone know if they'd be likely to give one permission to cross the TRA later this week, or should I not even attempt it? It looks like quite a wide diversion either east or west...

Thanks for any advice.

rustle
11th Jul 2006, 20:55
Normally, outside of display times, there isn't an issue with clearances through parts of the TRA.

Speak to them early enough and I'm sure they'll do what they can -- they do every other week of the year :ok:

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 22:24
During SBAC Farnborough need to operate in a known traffic environment for a number of reasons. The TRA does not mean that normal service provision will be degraded. If anything it will be enhanced within such known traffic, and I am confident that Farnborough ATC will be most accommodating. Just be prepared to alter course by larger amounts than normal, and to expect the occasional delay. Avoidance of the TRAs where possible would of course be beneficial. I'm sure Chevvron will be along shortly to corroborate.

AlanM
11th Jul 2006, 22:43
They have been taking stuff through the TRA when they can.

However, due to the display validations today there were a few delays in getting traffic in and out - so probably very little chance of a transit of the area.

Things tend not to happen in terms of displaying until late morning.

Come on Chevvron.... where are you?

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 23:02
He's at Spearmint Rhino again.........

AlanM
12th Jul 2006, 08:14
Do they allow crevattes!!!?

(Only joking TC)

chevvron
12th Jul 2006, 09:48
It's crAvatte, and I'm wearing uniform as issued.
As AlanM says, you'll get clearance through the TRA if there's nothing to bump in to; when you meet an F18 going vertically at 400kt + plus (as someone nearly did last Farnborough) it could be a little scary!
TRA is NOT there to prevent people flying in a particular bit of airspace, it's there so that, as TDM says, ATC are in communication with all traffic in what would otherwise be class G airspace, so Pianorak, on your planned route it will be normal service.
Never heard of Spearmint Rhino - AlanM tells me it's a nightclub? I prefer the Lakeside - better class of pervert eg Jim Davidson.
MichaelJP59; call 125.250 and ask; provided you don't try to go directly overhead Farnborough it should be possible to penetrate.

Pianorak
12th Jul 2006, 15:28
. . . so Pianorak, on your planned route it will be normal service.
Glad I called. It was indeed the usual first-rate service. :D

chevvron
12th Jul 2006, 16:25
I think you drew the short straw and talked to me both ways!

Pianorak
12th Jul 2006, 20:23
Can't be lucky all the time! :-))